Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 09:21 PM

Thanks to all who provided input. I asked Vans about using an AN3 bolt on the hard to get at cherrymax locations, and they did not feel that was necessary as I just needed to move the bushings. Well I tried again with a fitted bushing insert made of poly carbonate and pounding it, prying it, and cussing it did not move squat. Appreciate the bolt squeeze suggestion, but am really concerned now about breaking them loose as tight as they are as they may not ever refit. I tried my hand puller and it appears to fit the dreaded corner position ok so tomorrow I intend to pull the c-max in the corners with it. I hope it works. I don't understand why c-max are used in the first place as assuming the AN3 required too large a hole increase it's obvious a #8 screw would handle it nicely, and the screw has a greater shear strength than the c-max anyway. Wanting to follow Vans instructions I am staying with the c-max, but don't understand the logic as the screws would be SOOO much easier to work with in that location. All parts are primed and ready to rivet so maybe I will finish the job by this weekend. If so I will have invested more than 60 hours, and some of those required a helper as well.
Dick Seiders 120093
Old 11-07-2013, 06:18 PM

Another somewhat frustrating day on the gear mod. When pulling the c-max that attach angles to c channel (the hard to get at locations) two of the rivet stems separated from the rivet before the rivet was fully set, and a third one I did not have fully against the c channel apparently so when setting it the head is .050" above the channel. So I learned how to remove cherrymax rivets. One down, two to go. Of course it may be me as I haven't worked with c-max before, but don't usually have this type problem. In addition I have to drive to A. Spruce tomorrow to buy about twenty more of the rivets so I have enough to finish the job. (Why didn't the job just call for #8 screws?)
Lastly the grip length of the CR 3213-4-5 is ,250" to .313". Isn't that a bit short for the channel plus two .025" angles? Did anyone use CR3213-4-6? Grip length for those is .313-.375" I may buy a few in the event the 5's keep breaking. Did anyone have these issues occur, and if so what was your solution? Appreciate any feedback.
Dick Seiders 120093
Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 PM

Sounds like you are right on track with most of the rest of us. I fought those cherry max jobs the same way, a couple of us decided the rivets did NOT come with the right grip length! Vans countered that the extrusion channel varies in thickness, so maybe ours were thicker or something. The "fix" is a good one I feel, and easy to apply, except for a few stubborn cherry max rivets.
I had to drill out a couple that were not fully seated too, they don't pull in tight like the LP 4 3 jobs we are so used to using, so if they are not quite all the way in - they will have to be drilled out. Thankfully there are not too many of them..
RV12 built and flying
Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 PM

I don't recall any issues installing the Cherry Max Rivets. Maybe I was just lucky.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:05 AM

Or maybe just more skilled in their use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
I don't recall any issues installing the Cherry Max Rivets. Maybe I was just lucky.
RV12 built and flying
Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 PM

Trust me, Don, skill played no part! :-)
Old 11-09-2013, 07:05 PM

I'm a slow learner regarding the Cherrymax. I not only broke a few , but had to drill out all on the right side of c channel due to fact the u1202t was not flush with the u1203u (top pc). Now this was my error as even tho I had the top and bottom angles cleco'ed I did not catch the fact that the bottom was not flush to the top, and as a result all 4 rivets had insufficient grip on the lower angle. This brings to mind a point to make with any who have not yet performed this upgrade. Be advised that the u1202t (lower angle) needs (in my opinion) to have about 1/8" to 3/16" trimmed off the fwd end as a bulkhead rivet interferes with the correct mating of the two angles. This will totally eliminate the interference problem and save whoever heeds this advice the need to remove the rivets. (no small task). Additionally removal of the rivets (due to the tight quarters encountered) can cause a fair amount of bending of the angle as driving out the body of the rivet will bend the devil out of the bottom angle.
I have completed the riveting of the doublers today, and happy to say that after installing the best part of 100 of these things (including those I screwed up) I am proficient with cherrymax installation. I would definitely recommend the use of a hand rivet puller as the air operated pullers do not perform as well. The hand tool enables you to tell exactly what is happening with the c-max as you pull it thru the three stages of a successful installation. Also I used my standard store supplied hand puller. It was not necessary to spend 90 bucks on the G-27. Starting gear leg doubler work tomorrow.
Dick Seiders 120093
Old 01-08-2020, 09:58 AM

SB 12-11-09 - Center Section Modification

I bought my RV-12 early SN (120058) from the original builder with 48TT knowing that SB for Center Section and Fuel Tank were not completed. I flew for a year before completing these two service bulletins. I guess I was having too much fun and the RV smile wasn?t wearing off. So, in my case the Center Section Modification was completed at 205TT. No cracks were found during the work. This area is given extra care for visual inspection during Annual Condition Inspection. No cracks at current 521TT.

The reason for resurrecting this thread is to see how this fix is holding up to the test of time. I fly off of a private grass strip that is not very smooth. The runway has not been rolled for the past two years and frost heave in the winter has worked its magic. I would imagine my landing gear has been subjected to near maximum abuse short of training flights and really poor landings.

Has anyone noticed new cracks forming or propagation of existing cracks that were stop-drilled during the SB?

As a reminder, the attached photo is included in SB 12-11-09.

Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 750

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H