Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2019, 04:09 PM

Default What did you do with your RV over the holidays?

We have a "What did you do with your RV this weekend" thread, but I think the holidays merit a thread of their own, since so many of us will be flying our RV(s) during the week too!

So, let's hear what you're doing, or did with your RV over the holidays!

I will start... The condition inspection on my RV-9A was wrapped up last weekend, and flew it from Oregon to San Diego last Sunday and Monday. Today I took it down to San Diego Brown Field (SDM) to get some cheap gas. From there, I flew over to Montgomery Field (MYF) to get an iPad mount so I can easily use my iPad Mini 4 with ForeFlight while flying. After getting the mount, and a small lunch, I headed home to Carlsbad (CRQ) and put the airplane back in the hangar.

During the condition inspection, I installed the SkySensor, which is a companion to the SkyBeacon from UAvionix. The SkySensor is basically an LED nav/strobe that also provides ADS-B IN via WiFi. I am really happy with it, and find that it works great feeding either the iFlyGPS, or the iPad for ForeFlight. No doubt that it works great with other GDL90 compatible EFB applications.

Also during the inspection, I installed an Infinity grip, and I am really enjoying that. It's great having so many functions available, all on the grip.

I hope that everyone has a safe, enjoyable holiday season. I am eager to hear what you've done with your RV over the next week or two!
Old 12-20-2019, 08:52 PM

I parked it quietly away in the hangar, protected by CamGuard, as heavy aluminum tubes make more sense to go from east to west and then south east over the next few weeks, seeking snow and sun. Looking forward to living RV-vicariously from all of you!
Super-8 bought flying
Old 12-20-2019, 09:43 PM

I'm planning to depart Dallas Sunday morning, headed to Phoenix. After Christmas I am going to LA, then back to Dallas just before new-year. Hopefully the weather cooperates.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOnWheels View Post
I'm planning to depart Dallas Sunday morning, headed to Phoenix. After Christmas I am going to LA, then back to Dallas just before new-year. Hopefully the weather cooperates.
Nice trip. What airports in Los Angeles and Phoenix?
Where do you like to stop between Dallas and Phoenix?
Old 12-21-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Nice trip. What airports in Los Angeles and Phoenix?
Where do you like to stop between Dallas and Phoenix?
For AZ, i am going to scosdale. Not my first choice, but down the street from the in-laws.

For CA, I am headed to Fullerton. SNA would be much closer, but the fees are too high.

Right now the plan is to stop at Winston and Lordsburg

Update: winds are looking good for the trip. Only need 1 stop now.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.

Last edited by WingsOnWheels : 12-21-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:47 PM

Default Holiday

Loaded the 10 up with 3 dogs 1 cat luggage and Christmas presents for a week with the in laws. Love the flying family truckster.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:07 PM

Default Chiriaco Summit

I like a number, a large number, of other SOCAL pilots head to Chiriaco Summit for a January 1 breakfast at the Chiriaco Summit Coffee and Gift Shop, owned by the same family since 1933 and right next to the General Patton Museum. We land on the same runway Patton did when he was training the troops for North Africa.

RV-3 sold - and I really miss it.
Stearman - N2S-5 completed/flying
L3 building for San Diego Air and Space Museum
Misc. others... F4F, F4U, HUP WACO YKS-7, JN4. TBF
Old 12-23-2019, 10:47 PM

Default Taos NM run

Sabrina and I decided to fly down to Taos NM for a day. We had to preheat the plane since it was about 20 deg. F. The cold air was very calm, and the flight over is only about an hour.

After you cross over La Veta pass, you fly down along the Rio Grande. It makes a beautiful gorge that leads you straight to Taos.

We stayed at the Taos Inn, home of the famous Adobe Bar. They were appropriately decorated for Christmas.

The flight back was just as pretty as the flight down.

All in all a great way to spend a day, and get the RV out of the hangar. Hope all of you have a wonderful Christmas.

Cheers

Geoff

Last edited by mchargmg : 12-24-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:37 PM

Default Holidays with both RV's in the Keys

We packed up the presents and the other RV "Recreational Vessel" and towed it on the trailer from MD to Marathon Fl in the Keys: UGH! 2 & half days of excruciating slow traffic and rain, rain, & rain. My son & daughter (both Pilots) the 'Lucky Ones" loaded his family in our RV10 (N16YS) with 78 Gallons LL fuel and departed Maryland at the same time as us, only difference was 6 flying hours with a little comfort stop in Darlington SC. and they were landing in 77 degree WARM DRY Marathon FL, Their vacation began 2 days before ours did. Aah Well ! I can only wish I'd had a DAD like me!
BTW: I want to give a very BIG Shout Out to CATMANDU !! Mike is a close family friend / neighbor and excellent instructor! He keeps my kids and myself on our toes with his continuing education evaluation and sharing in the love of flight. Mike was solely responsible for our decision to purchase the family RV10 a Perfect 10 !! Thank You, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to CATMANDU and all the others that support this Vans Air Force Community ! (Remember to donate !!)

Last edited by N40ES : 12-25-2019 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Merry Christmas !!
Old 12-27-2019, 11:21 AM

Beautiful Carl!
Certified Aug 2021
Dues paid 2021