Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2019, 07:16 PM

Default Little Lunch Down South

Temp was a little above zero in Minne, but we had not flown in a while, so we set up a lunch with a RV7 builder and college buddy down in Iowa where it was a balmy 10 or so.............

Gotta Shovel out......

Minne looks awfully cold........

Iowa looked a bit warmer....

Lakes be Frozen, they really do!

Ran her rich to make a little heat......was not much heat

Nice view of KMIC on the way home....

Nice lunch with friends, 2.2 on the Hobbs, not a bad day!

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 2450+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN
Old 12-15-2019, 09:51 PM

After leaving Dallas on Alaska Airlines, I headed to Seattle then Bend, Oregon for the night (also on Alaska Airlines).

I was in Bend to pick up my RV-9A from its condition inspection, plus some paint work, wiring work, SkySensor (ADS-B IN companion to SkyBeacon) install, and a few other things.

After a brief test flight, I headed south to Chico, CA (CIC) where I'm spending the night. Tomorrow, I will head down to Reid Hillview (RHV) to give a fellow VAF member a BFR, and then head home to Carlsbad (CRQ).

The flight today was very cold .. -15 degrees Celsius at 11,500'. The cabin heater really was not adequate. Other than that, the flight went great. The SkySensor worked great.

It is very nice to have the RV back in my hands.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:01 PM

Helped a friend finish his GDL82 install, since we were already at the airport and it was forecast to snow the next couple days we might as well stir the oil in the RV and fly the .2 to K81 for lunch. Lil' dude was not disappointed.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:31 AM

Dana and I flew to Prescott, AZ to watch my niece graduate from Embry Riddle with an Aeronautics degree. Weather was awesome. Winds stiff out of the West. Hit 260mph ground speed on the way home.

Rockin' it over the Gila Wilderness....

Back home right before sunset. 69 degrees F:

Jim

Last edited by jliltd : 12-16-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:21 PM

I flew around the hanger working on installing #3 jug after a bad intake valve.
I know. Intake valve? Who burns their intake valve. Apparently I do.
So I cant find the #1 oil return tube. Was in the bin when I removed it. Looked around the hanger for an hour. No joy. Frustrated, went to the Dillon and loaded some ammo to relieve the stress.
Elk Grove, CA
Old 12-16-2019, 05:04 PM

Ok, a little late to the party here, but on Saturday myself and a safety pilot went practicing under the hood for an hour and a half.
Three RNAV approaches at 3 different airports with a hold and circle to land. I let the autopilot take the easy parts and hand flew down the glideslopes. (you can tell by the squiggles) Fun stuff!!

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 donor and happy to do it.

Last edited by Planecrazy232 : 12-16-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:36 AM

I know this is a little late. Also, I unfortunately didn’t take any pictures. But it was another great RV weekend....

Saturday

I took my son back up to Chilhowee (92A) for another glider lesson. But before we headed there we decided to stop in Rome GA (RMG) for some donuts. Yeah, I know what your thinking, “A special stop for donuts?” These aren’t regular donuts. Look them up. It’s “The Sweet Bar.”

My buddy Mark Fullerton used to bring them to the contest for us. But now it’s up to me to continue the tradition.

Upon arrival at the RMG airport, there appeared the makings of an Eagle Scout project. About a dozen boys were building observation benches and and a couple of racks for chocks. As we were getting in the courtesy car, my son (who just made Eagle Scout himself recently) and I decided it would be a great opportunity to “Do a good turn daily.” We brought them two dozens of donuts and the scouts attacked them like vultures! They were very thankful. They had a nice break from the hard work they were doing and I was grateful for the opportunity to serve them.

Sunday

I got together with 6 other of my RV friends at FFC to do some formation flying. Many of us are FFI Wingmen. We have a few leads and one check pilot. There are a few more FFI Wingmen and Leads in the making. So today was another practice session. There’s a good chance we’re going to be able to participate in the Atlanta Airshow in a more formal capacity this year.

We had a 4 ship and a 3 ship take off for individual flight FFI profile practice. Then we joined the flights for several passes in different formations. In the upcoming months we’re going to be hitting the practice hard and firm up the players and the profile. It’s exciting to think we’ll be participating in an airshow in 6 months.

Monday

I hadn’t done any aerobatics since mid October and I was feeling the need for a little g. It felt great to get out there and do it again for a bit, especially since I was looking at straight and level for 9 hours in the Airbus later in the evening. The cool thing was that the other FO is a general aviation type, also having owned a Citabria and a 310. He currently flys a Cirrus. I think I converted him... He said, “Man it would be pretty cool to get an RV.” He just might do it!

Anyway, as always it was a fantastic RV weekend, which I am always grateful for. Happy building and flying to all.

Last edited by RV8Squaz : 12-18-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Typo