Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2019, 08:57 AM

Default GTX45

Realize that the GTX45R has bluetooth connectivity; it therefore has an antenna. According to Garmin, that antenna is somewhat directional, and is located behind the Garmin sticker on the unit.

That sticker is on the opposite end of the unit from the antenna connection. Be aware that if you mount it aft, you will need to loop the cabling around the rear of the unit so the BT antenna is pointed forward...and...if there is a metal bulkhead between the antenna and the cabin area, you can expect degraded to no BT connectivity.

Also, and this is important, your diagram shows the boxes but you MUST also figure for the connectors, some of which will require another 3-4 inches of space...

I am working on this in my -10 build right now. I have basically the same equipment and it was a challenge to get it all to fit and not block any of the connectors. Also realize that there are a TON of wires and the bundles are not small...

Good luck!

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 11-18-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDA_BTR View Post
There are lots of threads on all this.

I put my transponder and remote radio in a bracket thru the map box hole.

There is plenty of room on the sub panel for the GEA24, GAS29 and others. If you mount on both fwd and aft sides of the sub panel watch out for the canopy struts. I put nutplates on the forward side so I can remove the boxen simply without having to hold a nut on the back. I didn't put any boxes on the forward side of the sub panel for maintenance reasons.

You shouldn't put the transponder cable all the way aft; that was for ADSB "in"; the transponder/ADSB "out" goes best under the right baggage compartment. I have tape over that hole at the moment might put a 2m ham rig in one day.

The GMU22 works fine in the left wing shelf.

Definitely don't install the forward top skin until all the avionics is in; it is a drag to rivet around things but more of a drag to route wiring blind.
Do you have a picture of your bracket in the map box hole? It seems to me that it would be a difficult place to stabilize even one device, much less two. But using that space would really free up a lot of space elsewhere.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Default Another option

One solution, which lucky for me was done automatically for by Aerotronics was to build a tray that mounts to the panel on the outside of your screens to mount all your boxes too. With my panel, the only things I had to mount was the remote transponder and the backup battery.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rRob View Post
One solution, which lucky for me was done automatically for by Aerotronics was to build a tray that mounts to the panel on the outside of your screens to mount all your boxes too. With my panel, the only things I had to mount was the remote transponder and the backup battery.

Rob,

Where did you mount your remote transponder and back up battery? Do you have any pictures. I also had my panel done by Aerotronics.
2017 Waco YMF-5
RV-14 Kit # 140694
First Flight - June 22, 2021
2021 Dues Paid
Old 09-23-2020, 03:01 PM

Default Dynon/AFS

Here are a couple of shots of my recent Dynon/AFS install. Not exactly apples to apples but it does show the general arrangement of common components. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5A2484F7-E3D7-476D-8BCC-F828962D8209.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	787.8 KB
ID:	2787  Click image for larger version

Name:	4A63BFCB-7ACD-4F3B-91FD-D302C7C20D26.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	878.3 KB
ID:	2788  
Old 09-23-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart View Post
Rob,

Where did you mount your remote transponder and back up battery? Do you have any pictures. I also had my panel done by Aerotronics.
I mounted the transponder on a tray I built that hinges off the firewall and screws into the angle bracket at the map box. The IBBS is mounted vertically on the backside on the panel (just forward of the pfd).
Old 09-23-2020, 09:29 PM

I'll try to post some pictures of what I ended up doing to help close the loop on this thread. I would do that now but it's too much of a mess with my point-to-point wiring about 1/3 done. But for now I will just try to describe my solution:

I mounted my IBBS to the sub panel, upper left corner. I mounted both GSU 25's to the sub panel inboard of that, one above the other.

I used some heavy aluminum (can't remember thickness offhand) to make two trays. One is mounted with four screws and nuts (I was going to use nut plates but this was just easier) to the flanges on the bottom of the panel and sub panel on the pilot side, and the other is mounted the same way on the copilot side.

The pilot side tray has the GTR 20 radio mounted on top and the GMA 245R audio panel mounted on the bottom, which gives me access to the USB charging port on the front of it. The copilot side tray has the GAD 29 bolted to the top inboard side, my GD-40 CO detector bolted to the bottom side, and then two risers made out of sheet metal to mount the GTX 45R tray. The transponder can slide in and out of its tray over the canopy rail.

I used two long pieces of angle aluminum to make a tray for the VP-X, which I then attached with screws and nuts to the flanges on the bottom of the sub panel-to-firewall ribs. A little extra material sticks out the pilot side, where I mounted the GEA 24.

I haven't finished wiring everything yet, but I am happy with the results so far.

One thing I wish I had thought of long ago, when I was first working on the firewall: We drilled out the nut plate below the MAP sensor mount, which is not used in the Garmin install. Then we attached a grounding tab block to the aft side of that and bolted the battery negative cable to the forward side.