Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 PM

Default Calibrating taildragger fuel levels

In the final throes of this build... any opinions on leveling a taildragger for the fuel gauge calibration?
Old 11-05-2019, 09:12 PM

How about a saw horse under the tail? Your longeron or tail deck is the good place for using a level.

exciting times, congrats.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - in progress
Dues paid
Old 11-05-2019, 09:59 PM

Really curious on how much extra fuel goes in after the fuel floats hit the top of the tank.

I am building a tri gear version and am considering 2 CIES fuel senders in each tank for better and more reliable indications. Kind of pricey though. Wish they could come down in price. :-(

RV14A Tail kit 95%
Wing kit 95%
Fuselage QB stuck in China virus corrosion purgatory

RV 14 WIKI in Drop Box

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7...bU0ck0pJa?dl=0

please purchase the thumb drive Vans offers. I DO NOT want to take away from sales flow or get the WIKI Killed.

---For Edit Access drop me a PM with your Email address.

EAA 1300
Donation Paid 18,19,20,21 Military exempt
Old 11-05-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6-KPTW View Post
In the final throes of this build... any opinions on leveling a taildragger for the fuel gauge calibration?
The fuel indications in the EFIS systems we are using now are so darn accurate if calibrated properly, I think it makes no sense to not do it in a level flight attitude.
Doing it in level flight and ground attitude (on systems that have the capability) is personal preference but for a tail dragger I think it is worth while.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-06-2019, 03:12 AM

Not sure if there is a reg. but I waited until after completion and had a few hours of flight time. I?m a bit old school and made a fuel tank dip stick the first time we filled her up, 5 gallon increments.
I don?t care for the saw horse idea as being too narrow even with a cushion. I would be one angry hombre if I put a crease in my new pony. So, small 300# step platform, some shotgun ammo cases and firm foam cushions under the bar attach point got me to level to do the fuel and attitudes calibration.
Hanger floor reasonably level for the lateral leveling, nothing was needed there.
Be careful.

R
Old 11-06-2019, 08:12 AM

Saw horse works fine.
Just set the tail wheel spring on it instead of the tail cone.
I've done it many years times.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-06-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
The fuel indications in the EFIS systems we are using now are so darn accurate if calibrated properly, I think it makes no sense to not do it in a level flight attitude.
Doing it in level flight and ground attitude (on systems that have the capability) is personal preference but for a tail dragger I think it is worth while.
What EFIS system are you referring to? I have dual AFS 4500?s. Calibrated my tanks two gallons at a time with the airplane in a level attitude and they are miserably inaccurate. So much that I don?t pay any attention to them. I use the gallons used from the red cube as my indication of fuel in the tanks. Finally tweaked that to where it is reliable.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:44 AM

I put the tailwheel on a stool when I calibrated mine. Taxied over to the fuel pumps with the stool in the passenger seat, chocked wheels, raised tail, and pumped gas 5L at a time into the tanks.

Of course, all the calibration in the world won't help when the sender fails. Next step will be to buy a second Red Cube and set one up in each wing root, and deduce fuel level from fuel flow out. My single Red Cube has been accurate to <1%.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:19 AM

I have the Vans capacitance tanks using the Dynon converters to input to my AFS 5600`s.
I calibrated the gauges in 2 gallon increments in both level flight and 3 point attitude. They are consistently accurate within 1-2 gals., however as others have stated my fuel used/fuel remaining numbers are right on the money. My red cube is mounted between the mechanical fuel pump and the servo.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
(KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis, floats.
Building Javron Super Cub.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:57 AM

I concur, when calibrated, it is accurate for the bottom 2/3rds of the tank. The floats hit the top of the tank before full, but it doesn't matter, you are interested in how little fuel you have most of the time.

Diligent flight planning, yada yada snowflake disclaimer

Donated in 2021