Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2015, 08:47 PM

Bill, congrats for correctly interpreting the drawings and putting the edge of the conical bend INSIDE the bottom skin! It doesn't fit so well on the outside...

Construction Log
Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:15 AM

Thanks Miles! It did take lots of careful study of the plans to figure out the correct stack-up.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:39 PM

Default Rolling the canoe!

At 760 hrs build time, 430WB terminated inverted flight and did her first roll. The canoe has entered the shop!

Getting ready:

It's a hesitation roll:

.. and the (to be) greasy side is down

Here's what I did with the stock HF rotisserie kit (engine stand). It's too short for a -7 to do a full rotation without mods, it seemed a bit narrow for good stability, and I had three nice saw horses that were being decommissioned, so I took one of the A-frame saw horses, reset one side so that the the legs were vertical and wouldn't interfere with the 2' x 3' plywood sheet bolted to the firewall, and added some fore/aft support at floor level. Worked great! Here's what the nose looks like:

And back, temporarily using the tailwheel spring as my pivot:

Still need to adjust the tail position; it's clear that the CG is not quite right, but it works great anyway. The white ring is a piece of a 3/4 inch PVC pipe fitting sliced off and slipped over the spring to be sure the support never interferes with the tail skin. The hole in the 2x3 is 1 inch diameter -- lots of wiggle room.

After, I put her on some temporary gear ... the fuselage stand Lars posted earlier. It works great; thanks Lars!
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...fuselage+stand

Maybe halfway done now? I hope so! Thanks everyone on this forum for all the invaluable posts of wisdom and inspiration that helped me get this far.

Last edited by wjb : 06-07-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:46 PM

Bill,

You are hauling BUTT!

I really like that the kids are so enthusiastic!

Maybe I will see you this summer on my continental tour?

Would you like a ride?

CJ
Old 06-07-2015, 09:43 PM

Congrats on completing a major step! Right side up, the canoe makes an excellent container for aluminum shavings (so vacuum often).
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 06-07-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_John View Post
Bill,

You are hauling BUTT!

I really like that the kids are so enthusiastic!

Maybe I will see you this summer on my continental tour?

Would you like a ride?

CJ
Thanks CJ! I'd LOVE a ride if you're in the 'hood. I'll spring for chow and gas!

-B
Old 10-05-2015, 11:35 PM

Default Wings on!

Hi Folks,

The big day has arrived: first mating of the wings to the fuselage. With the skilled help of my 16yr old daughter, Julianna, we were able to slide in both wings and do the initial checks. Tail to wingtip at spar difference was 3/8"; forward sweep was less than 1/4" and the flaps perfectly kissed the bottom of the fuse when retracted. A little bit of tuning and all will be good. Great day!

I'll be using EAA Chapter 1300's rear spar drilling jig/clamp do do the deed on the aft spar drill; more to come. The tool is perfect for the job; I'm looking forward to some perfect holes in the aft spar.

In the driveway; not enough room in the garage. The neighbors don't pay any attention any more to the crazy guy building an airplane in his garage (tho, they come by to ask if I have a tool to do xxx; yes I do!). I did, however, have a Bonanza driver, passing by in is Jeep, do a double take ... "is that an RV?" Good to see that some folks know about the magic that happens in our shops... Keep poundin'

Last edited by wjb : 10-05-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:09 AM

Default Progress!

It's been a while since I've posted any status, but thing have been proceeding quietly (if not somewhat slowly)

G3X panel is up and running! I had to build an "extra tall" panel (+1 inch on the bottom) to fit everything nicely. UpNorth Aviation cut the panel from a Vans' blank from my .dxf; perfect job. It's designed to allow a GNS-xxx box to be installed in the center middle, and a G5 or equivalent to go where the compass lives. And, it's ADS-B ready!

Big day; the engine when on yesterday. Woo Hoo! After lots of VAF research, I elected to use the "start at the bottom" method described here (http://myrv8.com/2015/08/hanging-the-engine/). It probably took 45-60 mins and it was a total non-event. I was holding off hanging as long as possible, but I need the space in the shop/garage, and the engine box was a big honker, getting in the way all the time.

Not much rivet banging these days; lot more torque wrenching.

Last edited by wjb : 07-16-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:01 PM

Default Moved to the hangar!

Finally, after a two year wait I was able to vacate the garage and move to the airport. Boy, sooo much space now!

Before photo; the garage is jammed full of airplane parts, benches, supplies, etc. MORE SPACE please!

I used one of our local towing companies to move the fuse. Tyrone showed up right on time and we loaded the -7 tail first. I kinda figured that this might be new experience for Tyrone, but alas, no. He transports just about everything and has done multiple airplanes. A total pro. (his vice is cars ... some nice vintage Cameros)

Locked and loaded; let's go to the airport! (only about 2 miles away)

Home sweet home at the hangar.

Unloaded the fuse and spend the rest of the day carting all the other stuff from the garage and setting up. Two runs with a 15' U-haul worked great, even for the wings, laid flat on the floor with lots of padding and a little overlap. We moved the wings first, and then brought all the other heavy chunks on the next trip.

A nice California sunset came to close out a very productive day.

And now, "Hey, here's a new guy, watcha got there?" Time to meet the neighbors.

We have at least another -7 and -10 on the field. Maybe a few more that I've not met yet!
Old 11-01-2019, 11:05 PM

Congrats on the milestone, Bill!!