Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2019, 06:14 PM
unfluencer

Default What'd you do w/your RV this weekend? (10/19-20/2019)

...getting the ball rolling.
v/r,dr
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:50 PM

Flew my RV14A 5.7 hours making two laps around Houston for continued engine break in and Phase 1. I?m completely amazed at how good the G3X is ... everything working perfectly. How did I ever live without traffic and an AP? Awesome avionics for an even more impressive plane.
RV14A #140083
Flying! 8/12/19
2020 Donation
Old 10-20-2019, 07:15 PM

Default Put-In-Bay Ohio

yes, Ohio has an island. very good weather. 55 minutes North Northeast of Cincy by RV.

if I park with the center line directly under the copilot, the pilot side tie down rope clears the pitot mast and no chance for entanglement.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 10-21-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:51 PM

Unfortunately I do not know how to post pics. But if I did I would show you my flight to see Vic Syracuse at KFFC. In the air at 8 AM. What a perfect day to fly. Got cleared to fly right over KATL at 6,000 watching the big boys landing under me.
A perfect landing. Didn?t even feel the mains touch. Got that grin.
After Vic finished swapping some wires for me I pushed my 9 out on to the ramp. Had to file by phone because ForeFlight was having problems. While on the phone filing had to tell the briefer to stand by while an F4U Corsair took off. Another awesome moment.
Then another beautiful flight back to 1A3. Perfect weather. Perfect flights. And I have the pictures to prove it. Haha
Old 10-20-2019, 10:23 PM

Default Flew to Kansas City

Flew out from Colorado Springs to KC on Friday. I had a great time with my friends on Friday and Saturday. Flew back Sunday. Strong headwinds the entire way combined with mist in the morning made for a long flight back. All in all a great trip. Another friend of mine drove from Denver to the same get-together. 10 hours one way. Much better in the RV, even with the wind!
Old 10-21-2019, 05:34 AM

Default KHVC - KDXE Hopkinsville,KY - Dexter, MO

My buddy David and I flew to Dexter for breakfast

Here is the link for the pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1ujVdWtFrtf4nxZL8
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 10-21-2019, 06:04 AM

Default Big South Fork Airpark

Took a young man that rents from me on his first GA experience. We flew over to Big South Fork Airpark in the hills of TN for a Seafood boil.

Beautiful fly-in community with awesome residents. Just outside the gates of a 5500ft, paved, lit runway with 3 approaches. Super nice. There are RV's on th field. If you have not been, it is worth checking out.

I think I may have lit flame for this young man to learn to fly. He seemed to really enjoy himself. He got quite the experience for a first time out. I let him hand fly most of the way there and we were in IMC the whole way home and had to shoot an approach.

Love my little airplane and what it can do

https://www.bsfairpark.com/

Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 AM

Got the elevators and trim tab painted. This was harder than expected due to a few spots of odd spiderweb-like sharp-edged ridges that popped up in the primer that went unnoticed until I shot the first color coats. I suspect some contamination either below the wash primer; some consultation with Sherwin-Williams is in order as I definitely don't want that happening again. Got them sanded down, reshot the color and then the clear coat. Now I can break down the booth and get the fuselage, with the very expensive engine and avionics, back over to the heated shop for the winter.
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly continues; engine remounted.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2022... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?

Last edited by goatflieg : 10-21-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:07 AM

Nothing RV for me this weekend, well sort of. I just wanted to follow up on my post from last weekend regarding the Bear Creek Bash, Mark Fullerton Memorial Contest in Rome GA this past weekend.

Bill McLean came up in his RV-4 from southern Alabama to support the contest and hang out with his acro buddies and Ron Schreck came in his beautiful RV-8 from the Charlotte area to compete with me and others in Intermediate.

Like I said last week, I got to fly a gorgeous Extra 330LX that my friend Shaun let me fly. I?m a changed man! I need an Extra. I?ve been looking for a potential partner in the S. Atlanta metro area, but so far I haven?t had much luck. Please let me know if you know of anyone that might be interested.

Ron did a great job, finishing 3rd out of 6. I finished dead last, but not by much! I didn?t expect to do well since I haven?t competed since April or done any real practice. Plus I had a grand total of four flights in the Extra prior to the contest. The Extra is a different animal and it?s going to take some getting used to. It was a great opportunity to compete in the Extra and that?s really what it was about for me regarding this contest.

And as always, it is more about seeing and having fun with friends. I?m going to paraphrase, but Mark used to say, ?If you?re here for the trophy, you?re doing it wrong. It?s about the people and the relationships you forge.? If it hadn?t been for the RV and for friends like Ron, I may not have ever gotten involved in this wonderful sport and gotten to fly an airplane like the Extra. Thank you Shaun. Thank you Ron.

I hope to add a few pictures soon.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:56 PM

I got to take my daughter for her first GA flight and her first flight in the RV. She was also my first passenger. We did a breakfast run about 25min away, but ended up taking the long way since she was having fun. She really enjoyed steep turns and other mild maneuvers.

RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.