Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2019, 09:33 AM

Default Hudson SFRA

The weather worked out and there were no TFR's so I took the opportunity last weekend to fly the Hudson SFRA corridor.

The pictures below are stills from the GoPro video I took. They don't do the view justice at all - not sure why the photos seem a trifle washed out - it was a nice clear day.

After making the run to the South I did a 180 and headed back up the East side of the Hudson. Verrazanno Narrows Bridge:

The Battery:

World Trade Center:

"Hecks" Kitchen:

Extremely enjoyable flight.

Last edited by Saville : 10-01-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:51 PM

On Friday, I had a big RPM drop when I did a mag check. Opened up the cowling on Saturday, and discovered the #3 cylinder top plug wire was disconnected. Reconnected it, cleaned all of the plugs, and put the cowl back on. Did a runup, and all good.

Flew it on Monday and on the way back home, it didn't feel like the engine was running as well as usual. Did a mag check after landing, and cylinders #3 and 4 were dropping offline when the ignition selector was on R.

Opened up the cowl again, and on first look, everything seemed OK. Re-seated the plug wires, and that didn't help. Dug deeper and found an electrical connector for the lightspeed was loose. Secured it, did another runup and finally, all good again.

Need to find something to do with my RV this weekend, now that it's running well again!
Old 10-03-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
On Friday, I had a big RPM drop when I did a mag check. Opened up the cowling on Saturday, and discovered the #3 cylinder top plug wire was disconnected. Reconnected it, cleaned all of the plugs, and put the cowl back on. Did a runup, and all good.

Flew it on Monday and on the way back home, it didn't feel like the engine was running as well as usual. Did a mag check after landing, and cylinders #3 and 4 were dropping offline when the ignition selector was on R.

Opened up the cowl again, and on first look, everything seemed OK. Re-seated the plug wires, and that didn't help. Dug deeper and found an electrical connector for the lightspeed was loose. Secured it, did another runup and finally, all good again.

Need to find something to do with my RV this weekend, now that it's running well again!
If the engine ran for more than a few seconds with a plug wire off, the ignition coil likely burnt out; don't ask how I know. Better double check that.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:30 PM

Also, check that the spade connector is on good & tight and not arcing to the male terminal, building up resistance and take the coil off line. Cleaning the terminal with scotch bright is a temporary fix.