What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CPI2 in RV3B

TnMike

Well Known Member
I highly recommend both CPI and CPI2 to anyone looking for an electronic ignition.
I have about 5hrs on my new CPI2 and am very happy so far with the performance.
I had used the regular CPI for awhile and switched over for the panel space saved.
It incorporates all of the previous features into one small instrument. Auto backup battery switching is reassuring. Preflight checks are a breeze as well.
I am especially pleased with the fit in my RV3B panel. Sure looks good I think.
Anyone with a single place or centerline 2 place A/C will like the size and ease of inflight use.
I would be happy to field questions regarding installation and operation of this system.
Thanks to Ross&Barry for a great ignition system and all of their excellent customer service!
Here are a couple photos ?. Mike

RE: CPI 2

I am considering installing the CPI2 EI in my RV6. I have an existing 2.25 round instrument with extra space around it that I could use for the CPI2 display. It would require relocating the existing instrument and enlarging the 2.25 panel opening for the rectangular beveled corner CPI2 display. Does SDS provide a drill template for mounting the CPI2 display unit similar to what is provided with the original CPI display?

I am considering installing the CPI2 EI in my RV6. I have an existing 2.25 round instrument with extra space around it that I could use for the CPI2 display. It would require relocating the existing instrument and enlarging the 2.25 panel opening for the rectangular beveled corner CPI2 display. Does SDS provide a drill template for mounting the CPI2 display unit similar to what is provided with the original CPI display?

We have the PDF template which can be printed on the CPI-2 page. Because the 45 degree corners are where the screw holes go, there is no easy way to make a template to locate these and scribe the outline.

I have about 10 hours on my CPI-2, using only one side of the dual setup, retaining one mag. I can?t wait to complete the installation using both sides of the CPI-2. The system is GREAT, and Ross has been excellent to work with for my initial installation. Anyone thinking of installing an EI system should buy theSDS system. Bruce Estes

Thanks for sharing the panel photos Mike. We were striving for a close match with the Garmin screen and enclosure frame colors. Looks good there!

Thanks for the kind words guys. We appreciated your patience as we worked through a few kinks. It all helps to improve the product.

Last edited:
CPI2

CPI-2, Barry and Ross are fantastic. I was one of the first CPI-2 installs. Being first or one of the first, we had a few issues initially, but Barry and Ross were amazing and helped to resolve quickly. I have about 70 hours since install in my RV-10 with Lycoming 540 using both sides of dual setup. I couldn't be happier with the performance, I'm getting about 9.5 GPH full throttle. My dash was already pushing full, but easy fit in tight spot-looks great. Can't say enough about the product, Barry and Ross, service couldn't be better. Rick Newman out of St. Ignatius 52S did a meticulous job on the install and worked well with Barry and Ross. Rick specializes in experimental and is the best.

Thanks for the kind words Ryan and glad you're liking the system.

Your early Gen 2 installation was a real challenge after several other smooth Gen 1 installations. It did allow us to learn a couple valuable things which have gone into subsequent programmers to improve them.

This looks really nice - it has the cockpit display advance readout! I wouldn't install an EI system without being able to see what the timing is doing in all phases of flight.

It's also fully user programmable in 1 degree increments so you can have exactly what you want for a timing curve. We have the easy LOP advance button too which can gain back a few knots.

You mean you're going to treat us as responsible adults and give us information _and_ control?;) Wow, how retro. I'm going to have to keep an eye on you guys... not in need of an EI system right now but maybe I could talk one of my friends into buying one..:D

Yup.

Most other EI companies offer you canned or secret timing curves which may not be suited to your engine, especially if you've got higher CR pistons installed or operate on Mogas.

We also get rid of the issues with mag bearings/gears and hot electronics living inside the mag housing with our crank triggered setup and externally mounted electronics. No blast tubes or temperature monitoring required.

Finally, we have user adjustable cranking retard so you never get starter kickbacks as several other EI systems have been known for. Breaking starters shouldn't be part of the EI experience in our view...

This looks really nice - it has the cockpit display advance readout! I wouldn't install an EI system without being able to see what the timing is doing in all phases of flight.

It's good info, sure, but the advantage of this system is that you can modify the settings to do what YOU command. There's no question what the timing is "doing" in flight - you will know, because that's what you told it to do. That, and then there are no moving parts to wear, no bearings to fail or magnets to shift. It's a "set and forget" system that just plain works.

Finally, we have user adjustable cranking retard so you never get starter kickbacks as several other EI systems have been known for. Breaking starters shouldn't be part of the EI experience in our view...

Ross,
How is cranking retard accomplished with the CPI? Is it via the RPM timing/advance table set up, i.e. put a negative value in for 500 RPM?

Ross,
How is cranking retard accomplished with the CPI? Is it via the RPM timing/advance table set up, i.e. put a negative value in for 500 RPM?

This is active at low rpm below the idle speed zone. The default is 15 degrees of retard and you can add more to that in the dedicated Crank Retard window. Want more, just press the + button while in that window.

We have the same feature on the EM-5 and that came in really handy on the F1 Rocket I was shooting video of a couple days ago. It has a small gauge battery cable and a long run which results in low voltage at the starter and slow cranking. It wanted to kick back initially so Ralph dialed in a bunch more cranking retard and it fired up. He'll get a second cable fitted to properly fix the issue.

Back