Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2019, 11:58 AM

Default Remote Avionics Mounting Ideas/Pictures

I am doing a Garmin G3X Touch system in my RV-14, with the higher end of average number of remote avionics. The sub panel provides some space to work with and I know that most people seem to build rails to connect the panel and sub panel lower flanges to gain some more real estate. But I think I'll still come up short.

I need to mount the following items remotely:
* VP-X
* IBBS backup battery
* GD-40 CO detector
* GEA 24 engine monitor
* GAD 29 ARINC 429 interface
* GSU 25 primary ADAHRS (the secondary one can live on the back of the MFD but I think it's preferable to have the primary mounted directly to the airframe)
* GMA 245R audio panel
* GTR 20 comm radio
* GTX 45R transponder, in mounting tray

I will have a GTN 650 and GMC 507 in the center stack of the panel. That may leave some room for the audio panel, comm radio, and/or transponder to be mounted in the center stack but offset behind the panel. Has anyone done that or had thoughts against it?

I know that some people put the transponder on the battery angles in the tailcone, between the baggage bulkhead and the bell crank. Does anyone have pictures of this installation? It makes sense because it will shorten the length of transponder antenna cabling, although I think Garmin wants a certain minimum length so that may not be an advantage. I have a couple of extra nut plates on those battery angles (installed in the extra locations used in the RV-10 as called out in the RV-14 plans) because I was going to put my smoke oil pump there, but I ended up mounting that on the side of the tank to make plumbing easier. I'm not sure if those will be a help or a hindrance to putting the transponder tray there.

I'm thinking about putting the GEA 24 on the forward side of the sub panel since most of its wires go to the firewall. Has anyone done that? I know it won't be easy to work on it because I'll have to lie on my back under the panel, but it seems to me that any work I have to do on the engine monitor connections will be tedious regardless of where the GEA 24 gets mounted.

I can probably put the GSU 25, GAD 29, and maybe GD-40 on the aft side of the left sub panel, the IBBS in the vicinity of the map box cutout on the right side, the VP-X on rails on the right side, and have room for maybe one big box on rails on the left side if needed (transponder, comm radio, or audio panel).

All ideas, stories, and pictures are welcome. I am ready to build my wiring harness as soon as I figure out where all the connectors will need to end up. Thanks, everyone!
Old 09-04-2019, 02:06 PM

I mounted all my stuff (similar list to yours less the VPX) using drop-down tray/shelves behind the PFD/MFD, on the sub-panel, and behind the glovebox opening. Took a bit of trial and error and fashioning some "stacked" trays to fit everything, while avoiding interference with panel mounted items.

(see blog posts starting on this page: https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2018...-avionics.html)

As far as center stack goes, I went with panel mount audio panel as I really like the manual controls for panel functions.

If I were building again, I'd leave the forward skin off until avionics were installed. Would have been easier (but harder to reach those rivets!).

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 09-04-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
I mounted all my stuff (similar list to yours less the VPX) using drop-down tray/shelves behind the PFD/MFD, on the sub-panel, and behind the glovebox opening. Took a bit of trial and error and fashioning some "stacked" trays to fit everything, while avoiding interference with panel mounted items.

(see blog posts starting on this page: https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2018...-avionics.html)

As far as center stack goes, I went with panel mount audio panel as I really like the manual controls for panel functions.

If I were building again, I'd leave the forward skin off until avionics were installed. Would have been easier (but harder to reach those rivets!).
Your blog and a few others' have been receiving steady traffic from my work IP address for the past month. Thank you for documenting what you did. You really did stack things up on that drop-down tray. It looks like you have the IBBS, transponder, and GD-40 all on it. Is it stable enough in flight or do you wish you had used angle material on the edges to stiffen it up? (I'm guessing that the transponder mounting tray lends some stability to the structure.)

I am sure that there will be times when I wish I had the audio panel physical buttons in my panel, but I decided that ultimately my flying habits don't require it. I'll have access to much of that on my stick, thanks to Garmin's plentiful discrete inputs. (The only one that I wish they had but they still don't is a remote 'pause' button for Bluetooth audio. I just can't stand ATC talking over the top of my audiobooks!)

The forward skin was a really tough decision for me. I decided to rivet mine on to make sure I had maximum strength and stability at the final shape when I did the canopy.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
Your blog and a few others' have been receiving steady traffic from my work IP address for the past month. Thank you for documenting what you did. You really did stack things up on that drop-down tray. It looks like you have the IBBS, transponder, and GD-40 all on it. Is it stable enough in flight or do you wish you had used angle material on the edges to stiffen it up? (I'm guessing that the transponder mounting tray lends some stability to the structure.)

I am sure that there will be times when I wish I had the audio panel physical buttons in my panel, but I decided that ultimately my flying habits don't require it. I'll have access to much of that on my stick, thanks to Garmin's plentiful discrete inputs. (The only one that I wish they had but they still don't is a remote 'pause' button for Bluetooth audio. I just can't stand ATC talking over the top of my audiobooks!)

The forward skin was a really tough decision for me. I decided to rivet mine on to make sure I had maximum strength and stability at the final shape when I did the canopy.
No issues at all with the trays. What you don't see in blog is that I riveted stiffeners (1/2" x 1/8" aluminum) to the bottom of each one.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 09-04-2019, 07:06 PM

I have a similar list with the exception of VPX.
Most have been mounted on the subpanel, vertically. The remote radio and TXPR has been mounted right behind the baggage area on what is a battery support bracket for RV10 which is not used in a 14.

All very easily accessible.

I will be happy to send a picture if you like or I believe I have provided some pictures in the RV14 completed section.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - in progress
Dues paid
Old 09-15-2019, 06:56 PM

I am still playing with ideas on this. Thanks to everyone who has sent me pictures and thoughts!

One idea I have is to mount the VP-X underneath the forward top skin, between the F-01456 forward fuselage ribs. Those ribs have a bottom flange and I could attach two lengths of aluminum angle, cross-wise, to that flange using nutplates. That would give me two rails that I could attach the VP-X mounting brackets to.

That location would be well out of the way of everything I can think of, since the rudder pedal mounting blocks and both firewall penetrations for wiring and control cables are all lower than those ribs. There should not be any interference with the airframe or the occupants. The wiring would not be super-fun to reach but this is a unit not likely to go in and out very often.

The VP-X Pro specifications say that it weighs 2.1 lb, not including the mounting brackets or electrical connectors. That keeps its weight under 25 lb up to 12G, at which point I would probably be more worried about regaining consciousness and bailing out of a broken airplane than a loose VP-X flopping around in the plane.

Has anyone considered this mounting location for anything and then either used it or rejected it? I'm hoping to get some input on this one before I start drilling.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:16 AM

Although I have Dynon and the Advance ECB, this will give you and idea of where I mounted the items: https://sites.google.com/site/vansrv...ldlog/avionics
YouTube Channel
Build Log
Zenith 750 completed 2016 -
Sold
Old 09-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Flight testing completed August 14, 2018
2021 VAF dues paid plus beer money😜
Old 11-17-2019, 10:35 PM

Did you have any interference issues with the gmu22 near the pitch and yaw servo? Did you put it on the roof?

Did you put your transponder antenna in the aft bottom skin location?
http://www.tasrv14.blogspot.com.au/
Old 11-17-2019, 11:12 PM

There are lots of threads on all this.

I put my transponder and remote radio in a bracket thru the map box hole.

There is plenty of room on the sub panel for the GEA24, GAS29 and others. If you mount on both fwd and aft sides of the sub panel watch out for the canopy struts. I put nutplates on the forward side so I can remove the boxen simply without having to hold a nut on the back. I didn't put any boxes on the forward side of the sub panel for maintenance reasons.

You shouldn't put the transponder cable all the way aft; that was for ADSB "in"; the transponder/ADSB "out" goes best under the right baggage compartment. I have tape over that hole at the moment might put a 2m ham rig in one day.

The GMU22 works fine in the left wing shelf.

Definitely don't install the forward top skin until all the avionics is in; it is a drag to rivet around things but more of a drag to route wiring blind.