Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbe View Post
As I left Oshkosh this morning, I had the following NEXRAD image on the MFD. I never saw rain -- in the air or hitting the ground.

As per the recommendations, I don't paint level 0 and 1 (no precip), level 2=dark green, level 3=light green, level 4=yellow. It was definitely darker at my 2-o-clock, where the yellow cell was, but I could not see any rain due to the haze. I remember one airport reported virga though (ORD or possibly MSN).

What's your experience from your "real screens" and Foreflight showing NEXRAD data and flying through the lightest level of echos?
It's possible - likely even - that the moisture was well above your altitude. A number of times I've been IMC in rain in the flight levels, for example, while airports underneath are reporting "clear below 12,000".
Old 07-28-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post
It's possible - likely even - that the moisture was well above your altitude. A number of times I've been IMC in rain in the flight levels, for example, while airports underneath are reporting "clear below 12,000".
Thanks ChiefPilot and rvator51 for the feedback. As days crept closer to Wednesday departure for Oshkosh, I scrambled to finish the drawing of NEXRAD data on the MFD screen, and I wasn't sure how it would turn out. One the way up, I also saw numerous small ground clutter spots even when sky was almost clear.
KCZL - Calhoun, GA
Old 07-29-2019, 06:43 AM

How to interpret NEXRAD:
Green removes the bugs.
Yellow removes the paint.
Red removes the wings.

Construction Log
Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
As I left Oshkosh this morning, I had the following NEXRAD image on the MFD. I never saw rain -- in the air or hitting the ground.

As per the recommendations, I don't paint level 0 and 1 (no precip), level 2=dark green, level 3=light green, level 4=yellow. It was definitely darker at my 2-o-clock, where the yellow cell was, but I could not see any rain due to the haze. I remember one airport reported virga though (ORD or possibly MSN).

What's your experience from your "real screens" and Foreflight showing NEXRAD data and flying through the lightest level of echos?

Ebbe

Like you, I've seen rain/moisture on my Garmin many times and found out thqt it wasn't nearly as bad as you would think. Looking at the following picture, you would think that I'd be getting the stuffings knocked out of the airplane, but it was a non event. I was between towering cumulus clouds with some precipitation below, but is was fairly smooth air and good visibility the whole way through. Once I was flying in ND and Center warned me of a "line of level 2,3, and 4 precipitation 45 miles ahead". I said I'd stay i=on course and take a look. Other planes were diverting around, but it was high clouds dropping rain that I flew through with no problems. The worst visibility I saw was 40 miles in the rain!! Of course, if there's lightening and real convective activity, I steer way clear.

Larry Anderson
Indianapolis
RV-Super 8 N88XT SOLD
RV-10 QB N38LA Flying
Helicopter Instructor Pilot
Standardization I.P.
Instrument Examiner
U.S. Army Retired
EMS Pilot for LifeLine
At IU Health Retired :-)
Although Exempt,
Donated for 2021
Old 07-29-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawkSP View Post
Like you, I've seen rain/moisture on my Garmin many times and found out thqt it wasn't nearly as bad as you would think. Looking at the following picture, you would think that I'd be getting the stuffings knocked out of the airplane, but it was a non event. I was between towering cumulus clouds with some precipitation below, but is was fairly smooth air and good visibility the whole way through. Once I was flying in ND and Center warned me of a "line of level 2,3, and 4 precipitation 45 miles ahead". I said I'd stay i=on course and take a look. Other planes were diverting around, but it was high clouds dropping rain that I flew through with no problems. The worst visibility I saw was 40 miles in the rain!! Of course, if there's lightening and real convective activity, I steer way clear.

Thanks Larry, that's good to know. Is the bottom left corner indicating the age of WX data? I display a counter of mm:ss of the radar data age, based on the created time (not received time). Though I'm not sure where in the chain of events that "creation time" comes from.
KCZL - Calhoun, GA
Old 07-29-2019, 01:55 PM

As You alluded no one (at least, no pilot) knows the actual age of the NWS radar data. The standard FAA line is ?no more than 20 minutes, usually less?. Of course a thunderstorm can move and change a lot in that time, hence the usual warning of using this data for strategic decision making, not close in avoidance.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Ebbe
Exactly as yours, lots of time I'll see the clouds but no actual rain with the green and yellow displayed on the ADSB.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
As You alluded no one (at least, no pilot) knows the actual age of the NWS radar data. The standard FAA line is ?no more than 20 minutes, usually less?. Of course a thunderstorm can move and change a lot in that time, hence the usual warning of using this data for strategic decision making, not close in avoidance.
Yes, I never understood why they couldn't pass the creation time along to the end user. There is a field that I'm reading, but it usually shows mush shorter time. Which leads me to believe it's not the actual radar image time, but much later in the processing chain.
KCZL - Calhoun, GA
Old 07-29-2019, 06:54 PM

I have started to add details on the EFIS, how the board and enclosures all are put together: http://homebuiltavionics.com/

I will populate the other sections when I have more time.
KCZL - Calhoun, GA
Old 08-04-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I have started to add details on the EFIS, how the board and enclosures all are put together: http://homebuiltavionics.com/

I will populate the other sections when I have more time.
Ebbe, it would be great to have a documentation of the architecture of your whole system as well as a description of the subsystems - e.g. which ICs you use for what on every subsystem.

Malte