Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier Lamers View Post
I believe there would be far more people interested in open source than open hardware as it is much easier to slap together something to develop software on than dealing with the intricacies of modern electronic surface mount components. Case in point: Nobody really would consider building their own raspberry pie computer boards. You'd just go out and buy one and jump right into the software. To make one of these things yourself is possible but fairly pointless unless you specifically want to base a derivative design on something existing.
I think the popularity of the Stratux ADS-B-in system bears that out. A bunch of off-the-shelf hardware, a couple of custom boards (they're making their own AHRS and SDR boards now) and the user puts them together. A default software load to give basic functionality. Open system so *if you want to* you can tweak and modify (i've added an OLED screen and made my own case, for example). It's an excellent base, from which to build.

Quote:
The avionics presented in this thread looks really cool - it would be nice if this comes to something more than just a private project (it would seem like a waste of a good effort). There have been several attempts over the years to get something like this going - so far with little real success. This one could make it I think.
I agree.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
That said, i'm curious about the Radio and Transponder displays on your system... Are you just interfacing to remote radio and transponder, or did you build your own radio and transponder as well?
I mounted an avionics bay behind the baggage bulkhead, that has a Becker CM4201 and a Sandia STX-165R remote transponder. Common for these two is that the protocol was published by the manufacturer, which was not very common at the time I started this project. I will replace the Sandia with a Mode S, most likely a Trig TT22 or a uAvionix.
KCZL - Calhoun, GA
Old 07-26-2019, 04:36 PM

I?ve been off grid for a while, so I am just looking at this thread.... nothing short of brilliant stuff!

I share the challenges of the open hardware community. I have recently been considering bringing a Chinese turnkey manufacturer on line, but the current tariff environment (and potential IP theft) makes this marginally viable. There are a few US and Canadian sources who are production cost competitive, but the setup fees are outrageous.

Protos can be hand assembled and volume production can be economical, but the middle ground less than 100 units is just not viable.

I think that within 12 months this problem of IP secure turnkey manufacturers will solved by DigiKey and others, but right now there is not an end to end supplier of Design/PCBs/parts/assembly that works well.

Imagine using your favorite design tool with a supplier?s complete library of manufacturers? approved libraries, then pushing a button to order assembled pc boards. No database munging or manual editing required.

Check back in 12 months.

V
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Part of EAA award-winning OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:42 PM

As I left Oshkosh this morning, I had the following NEXRAD image on the MFD. I never saw rain -- in the air or hitting the ground.

As per the recommendations, I don't paint level 0 and 1 (no precip), level 2=dark green, level 3=light green, level 4=yellow. It was definitely darker at my 2-o-clock, where the yellow cell was, but I could not see any rain due to the haze. I remember one airport reported virga though (ORD or possibly MSN).

What's your experience from your "real screens" and Foreflight showing NEXRAD data and flying through the lightest level of echos?

Ebbe
KCZL - Calhoun, GA
Old 07-27-2019, 07:45 AM

I'm absolutely floored by your work Ebbe. Very cool!! I have developed an ESP-32 based engine monitor and know all too well the effort it has taken on both the software and hardware side to get it working. I hope you reconsider opening up the software side of things as I would love to help.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:28 PM

I'm so impressed and I'm sure there are tons of people out there that haven't posted here that are just as interested as I am !

I love it when someone comes up with an idea that works just as well as the million dollar companies have out there. I remember I was just a teenager when I designed a car alarm system that honked the horn and locked the doors when it went off. It was as big as a shoe box when commercial ones were a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes but it worked and I was so proud. That was back when Radio Shack actually sold components and my hobby was Amateur Radio (KP4JY here).

If you make this open source I'll sure be one of the pilots who will take a look and try to access all the mildewed electronics info in my brain to see how I could help.
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites for pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:55 AM

are the Garmin G3X Touch CAN bus protocols somewhere in the internet?
Old 07-28-2019, 09:43 AM

Did you Look at the APPENDIX C RS-232 TEXT OUTPUT FORMAT in the G3X install manual. It looks like all is available in rs232 format.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:58 AM

The original 'FIX' protocol, adopted by Garmin and Dynon for the G3X and SkyView systems was a merger of two proprietary protocols for serial data streams.

Due to feature enhancements and proprietary interests, the two companies have diverged somewhat, but it is still quite possible to grab serial data and build an EFIS 'repeater' that works with either vendor's EFIS. I've done this with several devices over the years.

I've done this over WiFi and BT as well, so that an iThing can be used... but the app development is for someone with more expertise and time than I have. I think Ebbe is on the right track.

V
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Part of EAA award-winning OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 07-28-2019, 06:12 PM

We saw the same thing leaving Osh Friday morning south bound too on our Skyview/Foreflight displays. No precipitation on light or dark green as we flew through it. We did get a few drops when going through a yellow section on the Skyview, which showed as dark green on Foreflight.

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2020 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a finished 2018, Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV
N56KT RV-4 Finishing