to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2019, 04:27 PM

Now what about the canoipy?

Subscription Paid for 2021

Home is where the hanger is...
Old 07-25-2019, 05:24 PM

Anyone happen to grab a few pics of the new mount/gear that Van's brought to Osh that they would be willing to post? I believe it is on a quick-build kit. I still haven't seen what I purchased other than the drawings. haha
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 07-25-2019, 06:14 PM

Default Oshkosh display 2019

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8SqTbmRPFgLGtdLq7
Old 07-25-2019, 09:10 PM

Default Undrilled mount

For those of us waiting for the "undrilled" mount, what the heck is it going to look like. No way, I'm going to hit the center of those hole flanges with that thing clamped to my firewall.
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbright View Post
Heck ya John, you da man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
For those of us waiting for the "undrilled" mount, what the heck is it going to look like. No way, I'm going to hit the center of those hole flanges with that thing clamped to my firewall.
Larry if you look at the pics as well as the plans you will see that there is quite a bit of error that can be taken. The two lower inboard holes have 9/64" to work with while the outboard holes have 3/16" to be off. You can see in the pics (especially on the outboard holes) that there is a fair amount of area to work with compared to the current mount. Will you hit center spot on the money, probably not but maybe. Will anyone really be able to tell with how busy it is under the cowl, probably not. Will it make any difference on strength as long as you are in spec with Van's, no. I mainly wanted to see the pics on how much bigger the bushing are, glad to see they are bigger.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:16 AM

Default New Nose Gear

So all of the nose gear failures I've seen have curled BACK UNDER the nose. Does anyone think this new configuration can/will prevent that?
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 07-27-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torTom View Post
So all of the nose gear failures I've seen have curled BACK UNDER the nose. Does anyone think this new configuration can/will prevent that?
Yes because the gear leg pivots up instead and I'm assuming the gear leg is no longer made of spring steel (but can't be sure). If you watch the RV-14A drop test you will definitely see the gear leg pivot up instead of bend back like the old style.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Brought me to osh

This is one of the things that brought me to Osh.
Glad I got a chance to see it on the mock up QB fuse and on the RV9 A demonstrator. I saw the louvers on the RV9 and they are not so bad looking; think I will install those too.

I am concern with any new routing of the control cables thru the firewall since I will be installing the injected 320, not the O320.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 5% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done (waiting on fiberglass to be done)
Fiberglass 5%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 07-27-2019, 10:25 AM

Default That's not the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Yes because the gear leg pivots up instead and I'm assuming the gear leg is no longer made of spring steel (but can't be sure). If you watch the RV-14A drop test you will definitely see the gear leg pivot up instead of bend back like the old style.
From the videos I've seen, the nose wheel drops into a hole or a divot on the runway (heck, one I saw happen when someone transitioned from grass to tarmac). That forces nose gear back, not up. The RV14 drop test is nice, but I don't think it's simulating the same scenario.
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 07-27-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torTom View Post
From the videos I've seen, the nose wheel drops into a hole or a divot on the runway (heck, one I saw happen when someone transitioned from grass to tarmac). That forces nose gear back, not up. The RV14 drop test is nice, but I don't think it's simulating the same scenario.
That could be but on the old style the only way it could absorb that force is to bend the spring steel leg and if it is far enough that the fork touches the ground then off to pretzel roll it goes. With the new design I don't think the leg is spring steel and will not bend to a large degree in the middle of the leg. The energy of a bump/hole seems to me that it would still transfer to rubber via pivot (if the fork can't bend back because leg is stronger the only place for the force to go is up which will pivot the leg, keeping in mind that when you hit a hole unless it is MEGA deep there will always be an upward force component). I suppose you could hit one heck of a hole and something would still happen but I don't think your going to see what we have in the past. It is also worth noting that to my knowledge I don't know of a RV-10 or RV-14A with a failed nose gear from something superfluous like some of the old A models in the past.