Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2019, 04:28 PM

Default Arrived Friday

We arrived Friday also. Left Seattle Thursday night and flew to Logan UT non stop on 25 gallons to pick up my son. This plane still amazes me with its efficiency. The next morning we left Logan around 8 and landed in Oshkosh around 6:30. We made shorter legs to break things up some. Weather was perfect with good tailwinds.

We camped at our trailer site Friday night and weathered the storm nicely but a little damp. The rain was so hard a fine spray was passing through the walls of our 15 yr old backpacking tent. Spent the day working through how to get the camper in. My wife and daughter drove the camper and arrived Friday evening and since I had already picked up our registration we?re able to go around the huge lineup and enter through the west gate.

We are starting to see dry and dusty areas around camp in local spots so things are improving
Old 07-21-2019, 10:46 PM

In my dorm room. Landed ATW @ 4. OSH opened to Homebuilt parking at 4:45. Rode bus from ATW to OSH then another bus to my dorm room. Shared two pitchers of beer with friends. Going to bed. May move airplane here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Was thinking about making a 4-hour flight home but decided to just relax and see what the world sends my way.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:56 PM

We arrived a little before 8:00. Very little inbound traffic other than the Cessna mass arrival which messed up the taxiways badly. We eventually were parked in row 308 which is across the ditch in HBC. Tied down and had supper at SOS. Happy to be here after a long slog to get here.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 07-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Default Ghost crew in town

Hit ripon at open, held at both lakes, got cut off , passed, ignored etc but here we are and the rv?s are coming in fast. Cheers

Flew to Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. West to Cali /Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies north to Red Deer east to Moosonee and over to maritimes. South to Jekyll Isl, cedar key, and Key West etc. 7 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas. Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 07-22-2019, 01:43 PM

Default Got a little lucky

Hit Ripon between 11:30 and 12:00. Only a couple of airplanes holding over the lake. One trip around the lake and then to Fiske for 36L. HBC must be getting somewhat full as I had to cross the bridge over the creek to get a spot.

Andy
Old 07-22-2019, 02:10 PM

Sunday flight across from Calgary smooth & easy, last Fuel stop in Eau Clair and get an OSH arrival update. At 4:20 we booked a room there, of course shortly later OSH opened for arrivals... But getting a BEER became the priority at that point on.
Today, once around Green Lake, traffic well behaved, arrival no prob.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:04 AM

I had a last-minute window open up to make the trip, and we saddled up and were airborne out of 73XS just before 6am. A biological stop at KHIG and on to Monroe WI KEFT to top off the main tanks and arrive at KOSH with full tanks and empty bladder, plan worked well. We got to Ripon about 1 pm and only got spun out of the conga line twice, both times for a cub that couldn't do more than about 75 knots in front of us. Landed 27 and taxied to HBC, and spent the next couple hours sweating in 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity setting up camp.

Then the rains came - that was fun. Our tent collapsed, everything got completely soaked and we had about an inch of water on the floor inside. We ended up retreating to the airplane just for a dry place to sit while the storm blew itself out. At dawn we hiked to the Target store and were there waiting for the doors to open, and bought dry clothing and pillows and headed back to the field. The sleeping bags and other clothes were spread out all over the place to dry in the sun, looked like a yard sale but it worked well. More rain on Saturday but the tent held up and we were ok, and then it started to get quite enjoyable. I'm not sure if it happened during the Friday night storm or the Saturday storm(s), but somewhere along the line my plane took a gust strong enough to bend my Anti-Splat ultimate gust lock - but it still held in position, and I took no damage to the plane. Thanks Alan for a great product!

The beer event at HBC was great, and Dan's beer event sponsored by Gallagher on Monday night was even better. Our plan was to leave Monday morning to go back home but the ground in front of my plane still had some very squishy spots so we delayed departure 24 hours and bugged out Tuesday morning.

I'll say this for the EAA/FAA traffic control situation - from the ground Sunday and Monday watching traffic come in, they did a MUCH better job utilizing available runway surface and getting traffic in. No more of this "one airplane every 2 minutes" BS that was seen last year during the furball. This years set of controllers were actually doing their job and not going on union break, that was good to see.

The best souvenir I got from this years event? A little time spent with the man himself during Mondays Gallagher beer event.

Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 07-24-2019 at 10:09 AM.