Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:27 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreddick View Post
thanks for the quick responses but, the latest PC680 didn't go on a trickle charger once I installed it. I flew maybe 10 hours with it and then it suddenly wouldn't spin the prop. That's when I put it on a charger and found out it was resting at 10.68 and wouldn't charge up past 11.3 volts.
Ok, that does sound like a case of infant mortality......and I'm sure you have verified the soundness of your plane's charging system.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:02 AM

An update to this thread.....

Early in my RV's life I was having issues with premature failure of the PC-680 batteries.

I just replaced my now 6 year old PC-680 not because it failed but just because I want to be proactive before it lets me down somewhere away from the home drome. It will now go on the ATV or mower.

Back in 2013 I changed how I maintained the charge on my battery which I am convinced help it live a normal life.
  • Fly more, let the alternator do the charging!
  • Don't use the Odyssey Ultimizer Charger!
  • Don't use a trickle charger continuously (can be done with the correct charger but the details are specific, too much trouble, just don't do it)
  • Don't use a smart charger without the proper charge profile!
  • Don't use a smart charger on a battery that does not allow the charger to go thru its full charge profile. (not discharged enough)
  • Use a ground power supply when running the panel in the hangar to prevent discharging the main battery to a point where it needs charging.
  • Don't leave the airplane sitting with less than full charge on the battery, doing so will lead to rapid sulfation.

Bottom line is that sulfation will kill these batteries in short order and improper charging/storage can lead to rapid sulfation. Don't store the batteries at less than full charge and don't charge the batteries with less than the recommended voltage/current level. Following the recommended charge profile is key!
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 07-09-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:02 PM

Default PC 680

I agree 100% with Brian. Have an 8 year old 680 in my RV-6 that only
the alternator has charged. Only time it had a charger was during setup
of the ADS-B GDL 82. Still cranking good.

Doug McMullin
RV-6
Ottawa, Ks.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:23 AM

Default Old charger

The Ultimizer did toast batteries. I have had this new one https://www.batterymart.com/p-obc-6a...e-charger.html for at least 4 years with no problem. I keep it plugged in most of the time.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Default PC680 - long life

I recently was surprised when my battery was near death when I had a problem starting on July 5th. I later researched my log book and found I had installed that battery in my RV-4... July 18, 2011. I had paid $132 for that battery. This week I decided to purchase a new battery, and shopped online and found the best buy at Auto Zone, $113.99. The battery was installed yesterday, almost exactly 8 years after the prior installation.

You can't complain about that, for a life span.

Jake Thiessen
Independence, OR