Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCubDriver View Post
I´ll pass Texas in about 10 days, where is the CAF based?
The B-25 and B-17 at Skagit are with CAF Airbase Arizona, based at Falcon Field just E of Phoenix. They're out on tour and won't be back to home base for a few more months. The other CAF B-17 that I fly is Texas Raiders, based at Conroe (CXO, just N of Houston) along with a Navy blue Twin Beech 18.

If you're passing through Texas and want to see some cool warbirds, well, they're all over! The CAF has hangars at San Marcos, Georgetown, Burnet, Fort Worth (B-29/B-24), Houston, Lancaster. Then there's the private collection in Mt Pleasant; lots of cool airplanes and friendly people there. Breckenridge, between Abilene and Ft Worth, has a warbird rebuild shop that's worth a visit. Friendly peeps and unbelievably talented craftsmen there; they can take a wadded up Bud Light can and turn it into a Corsair...

And for RVs? You can't swing a dead cat in Texas without whacking a RV pilot, RVs are everywhere in TX!
1850 hrs
Houston, TX

Last edited by jbDC9 : 06-27-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:21 PM

Default Welcome

Glad you are here!
If you have time
Coffee & donuts at Lenhardt?s (7S9)
3 miles south of Aurora 10 AM
Lots of RV ers there
Old 06-30-2019, 12:07 AM

No flying on June 27, it was rainy and the Skyrunner was happy and dry in the Vans hangar. Daryl from Vans gave me a comprehensive tour of the factory which was very interesting. Bruce Eicher took the risk again and gave me his car for the day. He showed me his beautiful RV-8 Hula Girl and in the evening there was a dinner with the local flying club CAA at the Aurora airport and the members were very interested to hear how I managed the flight til now. And what an honor - I got an award from the club.

The next day I took off on my longest flight so far - nonstop to Minneville KMMV, 16 NM to see the Evergreen Aviation Museum. From there I flew to Reno/Stead KRTS, had a rest, and then to Buchanan KCCR. I was invited there for a photo shoot with John Koehler who flew his RV-9A around the world and Mark Albery who flew the Atlantic twice in his RV-8 - I felt like a beginner!
Unfortunately the Golden Gate Bridge was below a stratus layer but I hope they managed to get some good pics anyway. I then headed to Torrance, but not before taking some pics of the Golden Gate bridge after the cloud cover has disappeared. I will stay in Torrance for a couple of days and do some daytrips.

Bruce Eicher with his RV-8

Vans factory tour

The Spruce Goose at Minneville

Three intercontinental RV´s

John Kohler with his RV-9A during the Photo shooting with Mark Albery in the right seat.

RV-8 flying, IO-375, P-Mags, 74RV Prop

Last edited by SuperCubDriver : 06-30-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:07 AM

It was great to meet up with Hermann today.
I flew out to Concord airport where Hermann was being hosted by John Koehler.
We lined up the 3 inter-continental RVs for a photo session then headed off for a Bay tour while I flew with John as camera operator.
A big unsorted dump of my photos is on https://photos.app.goo.gl/dEBYSw1KxJiqZzvR7
John and Hermann may add some of their's in due course.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:47 PM

Sweet! Welcome to the Bay Area, Hermann! I'm following your flight with great interest. But, you missed the best part: you didn't come to Half Moon Bay. Great airport; You could have checked out my build! ;-)

Safe travels; enjoy the USA!
Old 07-01-2019, 09:02 AM

Wow, looks like you're next door at Zamperini! How long do you plan to be in the area?

-Marc
Old 07-01-2019, 11:06 AM

I stayed in the Bay area only for one day, too short I know.
Another day or two at Zamperini before heading to Boulder to "fly the Grand Canyon".
Yesterday I made it to Catalina Island. There were recently some discussion going on about the runway condition. It is done and in good condition. Because I navigated the Atlantic and the Pacific Ocean the landing fees were waved for me so after having lunch I flew to Big Bear and spent myself a second breakfast in the afternoon. They serve breakfast until 3 pm.

Last edited by SuperCubDriver : 07-01-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCubDriver View Post
Yesterday I made it to Catalina Island. There were recently some discussion going on about the runway condition. It is done and in good condition. Because I navigated the Atlantic and the Pacific Ocean the landing fees were waved for me so after having lunch I flew to Big Bear and spent myself a second breakfast in the afternoon.
So. Freakin'. Cool.

Catalina and Big Bear on the same day... and that's why flying around SoCal is just so darn awesome; mountains, beach, high desert, it's all right there. Plus, lots of cool airports and most have a diner on or very nearby. I'm jealous!

So what/where's next? If you're near East Texas this weekend (Thurs-Sun), stop in at Tyler(KTYR), will have some CAF ships (B-17, B-25, Beech 18) there for rides and the Cedar Creek airshow. Just throwin' it out there...
1850 hrs
Houston, TX

Last edited by jbDC9 : 08-02-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 PM

Huh, that might work, may be Saturday or Sunday. Those warbirds always attract me.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:50 AM

You are going to see a lot of war birds a Oshkosh.

Loving the write-ups. Thanks.
RV-9 (yes) N369RV
Mattituck IO-360, C/S Whirl Wind Prop, GRT, Digiflight II, Garmin SL30 & GTX 330 and Hotel Whisky Aux tanks, Bla Bla Bla
Flying