Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2019, 06:33 AM

What an adventure! Thanks for the photos and writeup!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:27 PM

Default PAPG to KHRI

This is the long leg that the aux fuel tank was made for. Photos taken at 11,500 as the Rv went from Petersburg to Hermiston, OR. 1009.2 s-miles in 7.0 hours. Aux tank supplied fuel for 3 hours and 15-minutes before all 21.5 gallons was consumed.

Did not start taking photos until in Canadian Airspace, due to trouble with radio reception from Anchorage Center. Asked for and received flight following for this portion of the route. An Alaskan Airline pilot helped relay info back and forth during the really bad reception TX/RX from Petersburg to near Ketchikan.

Getting close to Victoria Island and COMOX, BC these rivers looked like they have some tidal activity.

There was quite abit of haze as you can see in the above photos. Fires in Alberta probably had something to do with it.

More photos of the BC Coastal mountains to follow.

Mike
UTC -09:00 Alaska

Last edited by mbauer : 06-04-2019 at 08:47 PM. Reason: slow internet-adding more photos
Old 06-13-2019, 06:31 PM

Default More Photos PAPG to KHRI

Been away from the internet the last few days.

Waiting here at KORS for better weather to fly back to Alaska.

More photos of the trip South.

More photos of the BC Coastal mountains:

Yes, they look endless but eventually they end where civilization is once again reached.

Getting closer to the USA, more photos on the way to KHRI (Hermiston, OR).

Mike
Old 06-13-2019, 06:48 PM

Default PAPG to KHRI More Photos:

A few more photos of the 702 miles of BC Coast that I flew.

Finally found a flat spot, although, probably not a good place to land without skis:

Vancouver Island in the far distance, water shown is called Strait of Georgia:

More photos to follow.

Mike
Old 06-13-2019, 07:18 PM

Default PAPG to KHRI Cont.

Here is one last photo showing the mountains to the north of the Strait of Georgia:

At this time began to receive vectors from the Victoria TERSA. Decided it best to follow instructions and not take anymore photos.

The next photos were taken while flying the highway from Seattle towards the east.

One of the things that happened during this phase of the trip; very rough running engine, was climbing back to higher altitude when around 8500 MSL engine began to run really, really bad. Thought it might be carb ice, so pulled the carb heat. Engine continued to run rough until I reduced power below 2400 RPM. Flew along at that power setting for 20-minutes, then tried more throttle, engine ran fine.

Flying along using the I Follow Road method:

Ski area east of Seattle area:

A huge convection thingy near Yakima (actually was flying between them, another one to the right side as well) Convection cell topped out well above my altitude as you can see the top most clouds is the cell I'm talking about, the photo does not show it very well. Been a very long time since I've flown convections:

Yes, this stage was very bumpy, lots of photos taken, some were blurry, made it past Yakima home run stretch to Hermiston at this time.

On the ground at Hermiston, OR. Sky was dark to the west and east. I planned to go further east, but after talking with FSS weather decided to stay the night at Hermiston.

Major thunder/lightening at this time, followed by severe cloud burst. Hermiston airport manager welcomed me. Said to park the RV in an empty T-Hanger (free) provided a courtesy car and mentioned that a local motel had special rates for pilots. All in all a great place to hide from the wet black sky!

Total flight was 1009 statute miles flown in exactly 7.0 hours; had 12 gallons of fuel remaining. Aux tank was empty (18.4 gal useable)

Next phase will be from KHRI to KBYI.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer : 06-13-2019 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typos