Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2019, 03:59 PM

Where in the Great Lakes region are you considering?
Old 05-12-2019, 04:40 PM

Hi Everyone. Weather has been a real bear this trip (go figure eh?). It’s affected a couple of us flying RV aeroplanes around this fine country of ours. Right now I’m in a family restaurant in Rantoul, Illinois. Weather forced me to land at a former Air Force base here. It’s a combination of impressive buildings and sad emptiness. Someone needs to open an aviation business here. The empt hangars are just huge!

I’m enroute to Texas to meet up with DR, and while I’d originally hoped to be there today it’s looking like Monday morning weather here will be the best bet and arrive Texas sometime on Monday. Having spoken to Doug many times on the phone but never face to face I’m really looking forward to it.

After Texas, if all goes per plan ( and almost none of the plan has worked out so far...) I’m most likely heading to Colorado for a quick stop or two, then to Salt Lake City if the weather allows, and then home to Oregon.

I’ve had many more calls, emails, forum PMs and text messages than I ever imagined I’d get and I’m sorry I can’t stop everywhere. I have no idea how I’ll manage Colorado for example. Many invitations there! I guess I’ll need to figure out how to convince the boss that a six or eight week trip to visit people and talk with them about RVs would be a good idea! Wish me luck, hah.

So for those in the Dallas TX area - still trying to get there. I’ll let DR know once I have an idea about when/if I can get through this weather.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 05-12-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Rantoul was a former USAF base for B52s.
Actually it was always a technical training center under Air Training Command, and it was pretty dreary even back in the 80's. I'd imagine it's fairly desolate since it was closed.
Redmond, WA
Old 05-13-2019, 08:21 AM
unfluencer

Default Inbound Texas: Track Greg Online

1320Z 5/13/19:

If you would like to track Greg's trip to the Van Cave you can go to www.flightradar24.com and put N912VA in the search window.

Also, if you have the free FlightRadar24 app you can track him on your smartphone.

Greg is looking to interview RV owners/builders while here, so if interested come say hi if you can.

v/r,
dr
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 05-13-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 AM

Default Colorado BJC

Greg
There are about 20 EAA guys and gals who meet for lunch on Wednesday at 11am in the terminal at Rocky Mtn Metro BJC. This is also the home of the Rocky Mountain Renegades. Lots of RVs Stop in and lunch is on Ricky.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold
Old 05-14-2019, 04:40 PM

Default EAA Chapter 301 has some of those.....

Builders, flyers, etc. There is even an ongoing RV-12Si youth build taking place at the Wings over the Rockies Museum in downtown Denver. Our general Chapter meeting is set for this Friday at 7:00pm near KAPA (Centennial Airport), but you may have already passed through here by then. As FunFlying mentioned, let us know where you intend to arrive and we can put an email blast out to members that might want to meet up. Will we expect you in Colorful Colorado tomorrow? Let us know.
EAA Chapter 301
CFII/MEI, ATP
SportAir Workshop Graduate x 4: Sheet Metal, RV Building, Electrical, and Composite classes.
Tail Wheel Endorsement Completed
Empennage done, Wings in progress, N462AK reserved.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:43 PM

Colorado folks,

I?m arriving this evening and will be at out KBJC Wednesday morning starting at 8:39am for a while before I depart for Oregon.

From our host, Bob Market: We?re true RVers on Lima Row. The more the merrier. 10900 W. 120th Ave., Broomfield, CO 80021. Hangar A-3 and the door will be opened weather permitting.

See you there!

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 05-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Default Sorry I missed you!

Greg,
Sounds like you connected with the group for lunch at BJC. I was out flying my 12 by the time I came over to the terminal you were on your way. Some of the Kitfox guys forwarded me their patches and stickers you distributed so I was thankful for those. Hope your remaining flight/s back to Oregon were without issues.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold