-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:16 AM

Having been a regular visitor from afar, I think this year was rather unimpressive. Some regular vendors not there, some regular airshow acts not there and they moved the homebuild park so far away it wasn't practical to get there.

Unlike a previous commentator, I think Sun n Fun IS about EAB, it starts the EAA shows and has plenty of attraction for anyone wanting parts, research and looking at EAB airplanes.

People want to see the homebuilt airplanes so they can compare and contrast, look at specific types or indeed individual airplanes attending.

The night show was very disappointing on Saturday, very similar acts, and the drones failed for the second evening. The announcing had us in stitches though - such basic lack of knowledge about some acts and how parachuting works

We normally do 3 days at the show, doubt I will do it again next year and probably get a trip at work with a 1 day layover.

Very obvious that the accountants are getting a grip on it and the 'family values and fun' are slipping.

Donated in 2021
Old 04-09-2019, 10:58 AM

Since SnF just announced the new name, dropping "Fly In", I think that says a lot about what they want to be. (and it isn't "us")

1. Airshow (teams and static military displays)
2. SnF Academy
3. Food and beer sales
10. Warbirds
99. Amateur built aircraft

Did anyone else notice that a large display area along the fence was sold to an RV dealer! (as in Recreational Vehicles!) IIRC the pots and pans hawker was behind Vans.

If you want to do airplane stuff, DO NOT go on Saturday. Thursday was tolerable, until the Blues closed the airspace.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370
N184P reserved (RV-8QB)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:31 AM

Looks like the politicians and lawyers finally caught the goose that laid the golden egg, and it's funeral is rapidly approaching. They have been plucking it for a while.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:52 AM

I am voting with my dollars. I was on the fence about even going this year and after one day decided not to return for another day. The writing is on the wall, they want nothing more than an airshow and beer sales. I even told Phillips they needed to tell SnF that they are loosing sales because I refuse to lug a case of oil a mile to my airplane so no oil sale this year. They don't see it or don't care. The homebuilts leave, the vendor sales dry up the vendors leave. It started years ago and is now hitting critical mass. RIP SnF I'm out of here. After talking to a couple of long term volunteers that were in the meetings it's very apparent that they don't want us. I will abide by their wishes.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb
Old 04-10-2019, 08:43 AM

I personally disagree with some of your conclusions, Bob, but I appreciate the fact that you gave SnF a shot this year.

SnF moved the Homebuilt parking area because of chronic complaints about the access to the old area, so now we...we (I'm an RV owner as well)...have a place to sit and compare builds. Yes, it is further from the core than the old parking area. And yes, it's still closer than what you'll find at Airventure.

I hope you had a chance to use our trams--they were running regularly up and down the taxiway directly to HB parking.

I'll let SnF address the rebranding, but bear in mind that the new parking areas are a work in progress. Next year's HB parking lot will be substantially increased in the same vicinity, with the ability to park all HB's in the same geographic area.

SnF needs everybody's participation, and there is nothing I like more than seeing an airport filled with visitors, especially fellow homebuilts. Give us a chance to further improve our facilities, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleflip View Post
I hope you had a chance to use our trams--they were running regularly up and down the taxiway directly to HB parking.
Sam, Here's a snippet from my post earlier on this thread.

I flew in Wednesday morning as well. I heard the chatter re Lake Parker holds but loitered for 5 minutes, then proceeded in without delay.

FWIW. I'm not usually a big complainer as I usually go with the flow.

1) I too parked in the HB section. It's really is a shame to be so far out. They parked me in row 1 on a steep grade backed up to a drainage port. Getting out was a challenge as my tail wheel kicked out on the diagonal ascent out & my wingtip came very close to a RV12 prop.

2) I purchased a case of oil & was looking for a ride back with my case on a handcart. I was at Gate 44, Tram 6 waiting for 45 minutes, Yes 45. The gatekeeper couldn't care less about it as I asked him to check on the shuttle. His only interest was making sure everyone had armbands. I finally ended up hitching a ride from a passing golf cart. The volunteers at HB were good enough to drive me back to the booth to return the handcart.

3) The departure taxi from HB to 09 took 30 minutes. For me, it was a 20 minute flight back to KCLW.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:41 AM

Default Sun 'N Fun

I have been to Sun 'N Fun about 15 times. Usually 1 or 2 days and I always stayed in motels.

This year I flew in on Tuesday, and yes I did get to enjoy Lake Parker because of a Bonanza with gear problems, and parked my RV-12 in the Homebuilt Camping. I tied down the aircraft, pitched my tent, put my stuff in the tent, and then went off to buy my wristband, etc. and headed to the main part of the show. It was about 5:30 p.m. so I decided to have dinner and a beer and the went back to the Homebuilt Camping area. I was in for a surprise. Since I had never camped, I thought you parked your airplane, pitched your tent, and you were on your own.

When I arrived back at Homebuilt Camping, I saw the big tent and all the people in it. I went over and went in and learned that they have food. I had already eaten but I sat down, introduced myself to some people, and began a wonderful evening of talking about airplanes, etc. About 11:00 p.m. I finally went to my tent and to sleep.

The rest of the week I had breakfast and dinner at the Homebuilt Camping. Almost every night I stayed up until 11:00 p.m. visiting, etc.

On Sunday morning I took my tent down, got the airplane ready, and flew home.

This year was my best experience at Sun 'N Fun. The main reason was because of the great experience at Homebuilt Camping. Heidi, the chairman, and all of her volunteers did a wonderful job. Everyone who was there owes them a huge thank you. The other people who were camping there were great, fun to talk to, and I learned many things.

The other reason it was the best experience is because I had 4 full days at the show. I have always been rushed before but this time I took 1 day just for forums. I did and saw everything I wanted to this year which is also a first for me. Always before I left saying I wish I would have had time to do ??????.

Homebuilt Camping was a good distance from the main show area. Most of the time I rode a tram in the morning, and stayed until dinner time, and then rode a tram back. I was fortunate I didn't have to wait long.

But this was my best Sun 'N Fun and I will definitely be back next year and will be camping again.
Just passed 300 hours flight time in RV-12, and 10,000 hours mostly in corporate jets. I am a CFI; CFII; MEI; and a Advanced Ground Instructor, CFIG; and hoping to be able to help new RV-12 owners by doing some transition training for new builders and owners in RV-12's.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleflip View Post
I personally disagree with some of your conclusions, Bob, but I appreciate the fact that you gave SnF a shot this year.

SnF moved the Homebuilt parking area because of chronic complaints about the access to the old area, so now we...we (I'm an RV owner as well)...have a place to sit and compare builds. Yes, it is further from the core than the old parking area. And yes, it's still closer than what you'll find at Airventure.

I'll let SnF address the rebranding, but bear in mind that the new parking areas are a work in progress. Next year's HB parking lot will be substantially increased in the same vicinity, with the ability to park all HB's in the same geographic area.

SnF needs everybody's participation, and there is nothing I like more than seeing an airport filled with visitors, especially fellow homebuilts. Give us a chance to further improve our facilities, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Sorry Sam, I'm not buying it. I was told that next year it will be farther south toward paradise city, making the taxi even worse than the mess it was this year leaving I got to taxi all the way to the west end then almost all the way back to the east end. there is also no hard surface taxiway in that area so its will be a long taxi across grass. The long ez guys will just love that. Maybe they can give more area to the warbird camping compound for more busses and party areas.

Make excuses for them all you want, but people that have volunteered in hb for years told me the same thing, they really don't want us anymore. I will give them what they want. After 20 years I'm done.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb
Old 04-10-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotyoung View Post
I have been to Sun 'N Fun about 15 times. Usually 1 or 2 days and I always stayed in motels.

This year I flew in on Tuesday, and yes I did get to enjoy Lake Parker because of a Bonanza with gear problems, and parked my RV-12 in the Homebuilt Camping. I tied down the aircraft, pitched my tent, put my stuff in the tent, and then went off to buy my wristband, etc. and headed to the main part of the show. It was about 5:30 p.m. so I decided to have dinner and a beer and the went back to the Homebuilt Camping area. I was in for a surprise. Since I had never camped, I thought you parked your airplane, pitched your tent, and you were on your own.

When I arrived back at Homebuilt Camping, I saw the big tent and all the people in it. I went over and went in and learned that they have food. I had already eaten but I sat down, introduced myself to some people, and began a wonderful evening of talking about airplanes, etc. About 11:00 p.m. I finally went to my tent and to sleep.

The rest of the week I had breakfast and dinner at the Homebuilt Camping. Almost every night I stayed up until 11:00 p.m. visiting, etc.

On Sunday morning I took my tent down, got the airplane ready, and flew home.

This year was my best experience at Sun 'N Fun. The main reason was because of the great experience at Homebuilt Camping. Heidi, the chairman, and all of her volunteers did a wonderful job. Everyone who was there owes them a huge thank you. The other people who were camping there were great, fun to talk to, and I learned many things.

The other reason it was the best experience is because I had 4 full days at the show. I have always been rushed before but this time I took 1 day just for forums. I did and saw everything I wanted to this year which is also a first for me. Always before I left saying I wish I would have had time to do ??????.

Homebuilt Camping was a good distance from the main show area. Most of the time I rode a tram in the morning, and stayed until dinner time, and then rode a tram back. I was fortunate I didn't have to wait long.

But this was my best Sun 'N Fun and I will definitely be back next year and will be camping again.
Thanks for the good report - renewed my interest for next year!

RV-7
Old 04-11-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
Make excuses for them all you want, but people that have volunteered in hb for years told me the same thing, they really don't want us anymore.
Bob, I am flummoxed that anyone in HB parking would say such a thing, since the Chairwoman of that area specifically asked to make the parking area change because of constant complaints.

All I can say is this. We made a change that some folks didn't like, fell short with how much area we would have this year, then made the best of it for 2019. We can and will continue to work to make it better for 20 and beyond.