What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage compt to Tail cone door

jor.ezq

Hello builders !
I recently finish and started flying the -10 in Buenos Aires, Argentina
Noted that many times I had to access the aft compartment to check batteries, fuses, controls, etc and the 50 screws panel is boring and hardworking to open.
Well, the question is : is doable to make a door or two in that section ?
Anyone has do it ?
Imputs and pics will be highly appreciated
Jorge Ezquerra
Rv-10 41548
Looking to fly to S&f 2020

Hello builders !
I recently finish and started flying the -10 in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Congratulations:D

There have been modifications to the baggage bulkhead-----a few threads on that. You need to do an advanced search and do not forget to reset the time in the drop down "Find posts from" to "any date" in the search window, lower left area.

Beware the baggage bulkhead is a structural item, this mod is something that must be done with that in mind to make sure the strength is not compromised.

Here is one example. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1228995&postcount=9

Last edited:
tail cone inspection door

Thanks Mike,
It looks great !
I?ll do it with your kind permission
Regards
Jorge
Buenos Aires
Planning to fly from Buenos Aires to Oshkosh 2020 !!

Hoping to see you there

Congratulations:D

There have been modifications to the baggage bulkhead-----a few threads on that. You need to do an advanced search and do not forget to reset the time in the drop down "Find posts from" to "any date" in the search window, lower left area.

Beware the baggage bulkhead is a structural item, this mod is something that must be done with that in mind to make sure the strength is not compromised.

Here is one example. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1228995&postcount=9

I too have been thinking about something like this. But instead of just an inspection door, might be nice to be able to extend the baggage area to accommodate long items like skis, beach umbrellas, golf bag, etc..

My Cessna is designed that way basically with a raised "shelf" type enclosure on the bottom underneath which the various avionics, servos, control cables, etc. live providing an extended baggage compartment on top for such long items. I never put anything too heavy back there, but it sure is a convenient feature.

Anyone know if anyone has put any thought/design/engineering into anything like that for the 10? Understand that bulkhead is structural but perhaps it would be possible to reinforce that area somehow and allow for a large permanent baggage opening in the middle of the tail cone?

Admittedly I'm still very early in my build and so cannot really visualize the tail cone yet other than what I can see in the plans, so there could be something obvious I'm missing and perhaps its just not feasible...?

Baggage compt to tail cone door

Not advisable. Besides the very real structural integrity issue, the tailcone behind the baggage bulkhead is a congested area in most 10s. Besides the battery (maybe 2), elevator bellcranks, pitch servos, seat belts, and brace that cuts up the middle, it is a great place for remotely mounted transponders, ADS-B, magnetometers, radios, ELTs, auto trim modules, etc.

Not to mention weight and balance issues.

I have some 3m clear vinyl protectant (stuff used to protect your car paint) which I put on the lower bulk head panel. You can put a stripe across the top of the lower panel. Then all you need to do is unscrew the lower panel and leave the upper panel alone. Lower panel will easily slide out from under the upper panel without scratching the paint.

Here is a simple access door that allows visual inspection of the batteries, battery relays and tail cone. It comes in handy, but for any real work the lower bulkhead panel needs to come out.

Carl
Access-door-1.jpg

Access-door-2.jpg

I like that idea Carl. I'm assuming Vans doesn't custom bend their corrugated metal. Does anyone know a match for the material?

I did not get extra material. A careful cut using a thin blade Dremel cut off wheel will allow reusing the cutout for the door. I added the side backing plates to restore rigidity.

Carl

I like that idea Carl. I'm assuming Vans doesn't custom bend their corrugated metal. Does anyone know a match for the material?

I actually ordered a spare bulkhead skin to match my doubler. You could also use a backseat skin.

Lynn

Back