Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Photo/Video URLs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2019, 07:18 AM

Default Eateries

There are a few on airport restaurants around here. There's the Flying Machine at KLZU, we have been there before and it's good. But I think they are closed on Sundays now, last time I went there ( October) tower informed me of the fact. Of course it was a Sunday. There are a couple of restaurants at KPDK, Downwind Cafe and 57th Fighter Group. Eaten at 57th, very good, but we got there by car. Never been to the Downwind, I don't fly to KPDK often and it's normally a T&G. Pickens county has a BBQ place about a mile off field and a crew car. Cobb county has a Steak house on field ( haven't been there yet, supposed to be good and normally busy). The other places I know about are much further away and a long ride for you guys.
HOBBS @305
Dues paid 2020
Old 01-07-2019, 01:37 PM

We went to the restaurant at LZU once and it was OK. Personally, I'd like to go to PDK. I have a special reason to park at Epps. I bought my engine in 1991 from (the late) Ben Epps. He had it on his Epps Bi-Plane. I had it rebuilt, of course, but I thought the Epps family would like to see my engine log. I understand it can be pretty busy at PDK.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:45 AM

Another fly-in possibility would be Columbia, SC [KCUB]. The EAA chapter there has an awesome pancake breakfast on the third Saturday of the month IIRC. Then there's a B-25 restoration project going on and the Hunter-Gatherer Microbrewery for lunch (bring your own growlers ).
Old 01-26-2019, 04:42 PM

Default Rutherfordton

The Brotherhood had a last-minute fly-out to Rutherfordton [KFQD] for lunch today. The gusty winds beat the stuffing out of us and we reported moderate turbulence to ATC. The lunch at 57A was good, though, and it was great to see Steve's Suburu-powered RV-8 again. Man, his plane sure sounds awesome in the pattern.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:42 PM

Default Sad Day

It's a sad day for the Brotherhood. Darwin sold his beautiful Gray and Orange RV-4. I saw it take off today with the new owner at the controls, heading S to Florida somewhere...
Old 03-02-2019, 06:45 PM

That does make it a sad day but something tells me another plane will be coming his way soon.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 03-07-2019, 02:50 PM

After weeks of bad weather, we finally had a flyable day so we all met at Spartanburg for lunch. Owen, Mark, and Steve brought their RVs, and Alex from Hendersonville brought the beautiful CallAir 90 (Like a Piper Cub) that he restored. Owen brought along a 12 y.o. future pilot. We ate lunch at Jason's again.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:14 PM

Owen and I fought the turbulence on this bright and sunny Saturday and met for lunch at the Runway Cafe at GMU. My ground speed hit 198 Kts. on the way down (but 140 on the way back ). They were swarming like butterflies in the pattern, but the tower sorted everybody out safely. There was already another RV-12 parked there, but we don't know who it belonged to. Purple RV-12: If you're here, identify yourself!

Old 03-23-2019, 05:06 PM

Be glad you weren't up yesterday John. I fought a 60 kt headwind and turbulence so bad it threw us out of our seats. I bashed my head on the canopy and Jess bashed her shins under the panel.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORANE View Post
Be glad you weren't up yesterday John. I fought a 60 kt headwind and turbulence so bad it threw us out of our seats. I bashed my head on the canopy and Jess bashed her shins under the panel.
Oh man, my wife would have been crying. Me too! I really hate turbulence; It takes all the fun out of flying for sure. The worst I've ever experienced is "Moderate", but I report "Moderate" when my head is hitting the canopy. I'm just a wimp, I guess. I'm glad you and Jess got through that. I have a video of what I call "Moderate". You decide:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcniq1fsn3...ttern.mp4?dl=0