-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:04 AM

That is just super! Congratulations Greg! You will find so much utility with it.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 11-04-2018, 05:02 PM

I?m currently receiving ifr training in my 10, wondering about a couple things. I?ve been having a hard time finding a dpe who would fly in my plane but recently found one, hopefully he?ll still be there when I?m ready. Do I need to have a poh for an experimental aircraft? Also how do they do partial panel with glass panels? I have redundant screens so is covering one screen considered partial panel when you have everything on another screen?
Old 11-04-2018, 06:38 PM

Talking

Awesome news. Congratulations.
RV-10 #41825
Empennage Complete
Fuselage Underway!
Old 11-04-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
I?m currently receiving ifr training in my 10, wondering about a couple things. I?ve been having a hard time finding a dpe who would fly in my plane but recently found one, hopefully he?ll still be there when I?m ready. Do I need to have a poh for an experimental aircraft? Also how do they do partial panel with glass panels? I have redundant screens so is covering one screen considered partial panel when you have everything on another screen?
Since the regs do not require a POH for an EAB, none is required. Make sure the passenger placard is there!
Ask the DPE about what he expects for partial panel. Most seem to be content to just "fail" the primary EFIS.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
As noted, POH is not required - but the DPE does not have to fly in an experimental if he doesn't want to - you'll need to make him comfortable with it. I accomplished that by flooding mine with printed data about the airplane and my build, including my builders log, maintenance records, original Phase I test records, last condition inspection checklist, you name it I had it. He was fairly impressed with that and accepted the airplane after a quick review.

For my checkride, I've got dual 10" Skyview Classic plus a G5 backup. He was primarily concerned with where I got my plates data from without a printed plate. I demonstrated that I had two separate database sources (one for each screen) and could pull up a plate on either screen independently. Next question was electrical power - I have 4 sources to keep the screen up and displaying the plate (dual alternators, aircraft battery, Dynon backup battery) and he was very happy with that. For the flight itself he had me completely power-down my left primary screen and the Skyview of course transferred all functions to the right hand screen, and I pulled up my approach plate on the right and hand-flew the approach that way. I would definitely recommend practicing that - it's quite different flying with your head kicked over to the right 30 degrees to see the screen.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I’m currently receiving ifr training in my 10, wondering about a couple things. I’ve been having a hard time finding a dpe who would fly in my plane but recently found one, hopefully he’ll still be there when I’m ready. Do I need to have a poh for an experimental aircraft? Also how do they do partial panel with glass panels? I have redundant screens so is covering one screen considered partial panel when you have everything on another screen?
In my 6, I have a GRT HXr and a mini. We put the HXr into a setup page to kill all visual data and used the mini to fly/navigate. The mini has only horizontal GPS guildance, so we did the RNAV approach for partial panel. I use an Ipad for plates. DPE was fine with this.

Larry
Old 11-05-2018, 10:33 AM

Good job Greg,
Well worth the effort.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 11-05-2018, 11:37 AM

Default Great"

Now that you have it, use it. Great experience flying RV IFR.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:41 AM

Update on this thread...

It took a while but I finally got my ticket wet this morning. We've had lots of IFR weather here since my checkride, but most of it was LOW IFR and had icing conditions, so that was a no-go. I've flown a fair bit IFR in VMC since getting the ticket, but this morning was the first chance to fly solo actual with conditions fitting a minimum-experience fresh IFR ticket.

I took off from my home private strip after getting clearance via FSS on cellphone, entered IMC about 30 seconds after takeoff, was in-and-out of the tops enroute, and didn't see the ground again until 700' AGL on the RNAV 25 at KMDD. Perfect conditions for a first-solo actual flight. Now with the weather soon turning warmer and ice becoming less of a threat I should be able to add more actual to the logbook and fine-tune my personal minimums.

Flying with an instructor or safety pilot under the hood, or even solo in VMC, is completely different than solo actual. I expected a little pucker factor the first time I went IMC and it was there, definitely an attention-getter. Huge fun!!
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 01-15-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Flying with an instructor or safety pilot under the hood, or even solo in VMC, is completely different than solo actual. I expected a little pucker factor the first time I went IMC and it was there, definitely an attention-getter. Huge fun!!
Of course it isn?t really different - just psychological. But ?just psychological? is a real thing, and your experience is very common. Congratulations on getting your ticket wet!