-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:04 PM

In don't have the info any more, but based on a search on VAF I used two RV-10 wing access panel kits (including pre-punched doubler) forward of the windshield.

I wasn't brave enough to try it, but I saw a Piper Tomahawk year ago that had a removable NACA duct on the side of the fuselage at about where the 6/7/9 have theirs. The rectangular opening (3x6?) resulted in a nice behind the panel and rudder pedal access.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:42 PM

Not only would those access panels be an ugly eyesore prone to water/air leaks, think RESALE value when you get to the point of selling your plane. That would be enough for me to walk away. I like Bobs idea of having the full skin removable with screws a whole lot better. Careful planning of module locations and mounting systems with servicing access in mind would alleviate the need for access panels.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 01-07-2019, 08:16 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
Pulling the EFIS(s) gets you past the panel, but there is a subpanel ahead of that. Forward access covers get you into that area.

Ed Holyoke
I fully understand that, I have access panels on my plane. If I was building today I would just mount everything so that it could be accessed on the sub panel, it could be accessed via removing the instrument panel. I just could not do that when I had analog gauges. The big brain box for my AFS engine monitor and my Lightspeed Ignition box are mounted under the LH panel. My altitude encoder use to be under the RH panel, no longer needed, now that I'm using the Garmin G3X. I use clear RTV when installing them and they do not leak. I have been back into them a number of times. I made this mod myself, they are not the ones being sold, but are made like them, only smaller. Feel free to go to my web site and look at my ugly plane ;-)

Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription

Last edited by bhester : 01-07-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:32 AM

I have four panels like shown in the picture above. I absolutely love them. Been in there multiple times. Looks great and have never had a problem. Actually seems stronger than just skin. The nutplate ring stiffens that area up nicely.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhester View Post
I fully understand that, I have access panels on my plane. If I was building today I would just mount everything so that it could be accessed on the sub panel, it could be accessed via removing the instrument panel. I just could not do that when I had analog gauges. The big brain box for my AFS engine monitor and my Lightspeed Ignition box are mounted under the LH panel. My altitude encoder use to be under the RH panel, no longer needed, now that I'm using the Garmin G3X. I use clear RTV when installing them and they do not leak. I have been back into them a number of times. I made this mod myself, they are not the ones being sold, but are made like them, only smaller. Feel free to go to my web site and look at my ugly plane ;-)

I used 6 of the 10 access panels.
4 in the middle and 2 on the sides.
No problems, and would do again.

RV 7A--"MISS MARIE"--- N177WD (SOLD FLYING)72742
VAF #582-----------------EAA LIFETIME MEMBER
EX -KC-135A -------------BOOM OPERATOR #3633
VAN'S FLIGHT------------#6930

RETIRED————————-Enjoying life

See you in OSHKOSH

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ley&project=84

=VAF= 2006-2021 DUES PAID
Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Another thing to consider is the skin of a monocoque design is primary structure, I would suggest you do your homework/contact Van's prior to cutting a big hole in the structure of your aircraft to be sure you understand what's involved. Just because someone offers a kit for something that doesn't automatically mean it was tested or approved by the aircraft designer (I'm quite sure Van's did not endorse/approve the installation of the above linked kit on their aircraft).
Walt is on to something here, I believe.

VAF moderator Sid Mayeaux (Scroll) put access panels in his -7A tip-up and it was not a simple ?cut holes, put in nut-plates, screw panels on? type of deal.

There was more to it than that, by a long shot.

I talked to Sid about it at length and there was some significant work put in so the aircraft was still structurally sound...a call by him to Van?s laid out what their thoughts were regarding a proper bill-of-work to safely accomplish this.

Hopefully, Sid will chime in with more info...

Rob S.
New Braunfels, Texas (KBAZ)