- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:03 PM

Default Flyleds

I have a question about the value of the power resistors used on the FlyLed wing boards for my RV-9A, and which go where. My boards are different than the ones pictured in the manual. As you can see in the photo below, the board illustrated in the manual (top left) has slots for 5 power resistors, and it doesn't give the ohms for each. My board (photoed on top of the manual), has places for 4 power resistors. I don't think I got the right manual for my kit.

Can anyone help?

Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 12-29-2018, 04:12 PM

I don't own any of their stuff, but I *might* be able to get you moving.

If your manual is the same as on the web site, look at pg 5. There's a note in blue in the middle of the page that comments about 'showing an earlier version of the boards'. On the same page, look at the values of the resistors that have been inserted on the images. Now look at your board, at the numbers printed inside the rectangles where the resistors mount. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that '22R' is a 22 ohm resistor, and '2R7' is a 2.7 ohm resistor. You can get resistor color codes, and how to read a resistor, with a simple google search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=resistor+color+code&tbm=isch&source=iu&ic tx=1&fir=fveJk4VYPMBP_M%253A%252CyX7DCA78l_SSfM%25 2C_&usg=AI4_-kQmpqfs3zQxZ_qP9erqzOqfuQOGHA&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUK EwiasJHahsbfAhURUN4KHXE4DzsQ_h0wMHoECAQQCg#imgrc=f veJk4VYPMBP_M:

The 1st two colors you should see are red-red for the 22 ohm, and red-violet for the 2.7 ohm.

Is that helpful?

Charlie
(It's a real bummer when vendors don't include actual schematics with component ID & values with their products, especially when the purchaser is expected to assemble the product.)

Last edited by rv7charlie : 12-29-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:24 PM

I have found Paul to be very responsive to emails through the contact on his website.

Jerald
RV8 in slow progress
Old 12-29-2018, 06:19 PM

Hi Tom

We have updated the manual since you received your kit. It now includes the picture you're looking for! We had this as a separate page with our first batch of RV-9 kits but we must have missed this with yours.

All of our instructions are available on the Info page of the website (click the orange Flyleds logo below), and of course we're happy to respond to your emails! I have put the latest version of the manual online today.
Thanks for your help Charlie!

Last edited by Paul from Flyleds : 12-29-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:15 AM

Default Great service

Paul has been very helpful walking me through this and some other issues.
A great example of excellent customer service - even over New Years Eve!
Thanks again Paul.
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/