While I was waiting on parts purchased, numerous projects started to happen in order not to stop progress on things that were going to happen any ways. Unfortunately that can be a double edge sword scenario.
- I decided to send the electronic displays off for some upgrades. So additional high speed serial ports were installed along with upgraded graphics and computer processors. They also got upgraded to display Synthetic Vision.
-A serial expander was purchased in order to install an ADSB in/out solution.
-The 430W was sent off for an upgrade to ADSB+.
-An ADSB unit was purchased.
Before I started the ADSB upgrade, I studied the manufacturer?s instructions and ended up making some schematics showing the connections. I sent those schematics to the electronic display manufacturer and got the ok. They told me it should work well and last a long time. I set off to do the work and spent about 7 or 8 days cutting avionic lasing string, pulling pins, making new wires, routing wire, reading diagrams, making sure the smoke remained in the boxes, putting everything back together then setting up the configuration on the displays and ADSB units.
Although the smoke remained in the boxes it became very apparent during configuration set up that something was not working correctly. The ADSB unit has 2 COMM channels. The RX and TX on each channel have to match in baud rate per design. The 430W is putting things out at 9800 baud rate. The ADSB unit is expecting 115200 baud rate. The transponder rate is also at 9800. So unfortunately I did not have enough channels to work with. In addition to those problems the electronic displays were not displaying the engine information.
The problem with the engine information not being displayed turned out to be an issue that if the EIS signal came into the serial expander, it would not just go through (or out) to the displays. Unfortunately, I was not
told that when the original schematic was sent to the electronic display manufacturer for their blessing. So all that work had to be undone and the serial expander come out because I had to change the way the display ports needed to be wired/configured.
I also had to rewire the ADSB unit. After talking with the manufacturer, they told me that they had a fix for my problem and they would send me the harness for free. A few days later it was home. This harness takes input from the transponder and the 430W, combines it and then feeds it into the ADSB unit. The Folks at UAVIONIX were very nice, professional and quick. Fast forward a few months and the ADSB info seems to be talking to each other. I installed an ADSB antenna on the fuse at the cowl exit. It is close to the transponder antenna so I will have to see if there are any issues. I am hoping the antenna can aid the airflow under the cowl exit. will post pic of antenna later. Pics below of ADSB harness. If you have a 430W and a 327 transponder, you will need this.