-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 PM

Okay, so no opinions offered on which of the heater holes to block off. I chose the right. I'll put my S.S. heater box over the left-side hole. Fibrefrax has been cut to fit; the build rolls on

Now the question arises whether to install this insulation and stainless foil overlay before or after fitting the cowl attach hinges. I wouldn't apply the fire barrier silicone caulk around the edges before the hinges but it almost looks like the fibrefrax and foil alone wouldn't be much in the way.

I'm debating alternative fasteners for the top hinges. In 20 years of messing with my 6A cowl, the top two are the only hinges that have been a hassle. (And the bottom hinges were replaced with plates and screws at the first sign of cracking, a few hours in...)

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 50 hours +
65 years running stock DNA
Old 12-14-2017, 10:09 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
Yes! That's the stuff! I was quoting Aircraft Spruce prices. Thanks for the tip.
Whoa... that's a heck of a difference!!
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 12-14-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Okay, so no opinions offered on which of the heater holes to block off. I chose the right. I'll put my S.S. heater box over the left-side hole. Fibrefrax has been cut to fit; the build rolls on

Now the question arises whether to install this insulation and stainless foil overlay before or after fitting the cowl attach hinges. I wouldn't apply the fire barrier silicone caulk around the edges before the hinges but it almost looks like the fibrefrax and foil alone wouldn't be much in the way.

I'm debating alternative fasteners for the top hinges. In 20 years of messing with my 6A cowl, the top two are the only hinges that have been a hassle. (And the bottom hinges were replaced with plates and screws at the first sign of cracking, a few hours in...)
My opinion (and I'm neck and neck with you on the build) is that it doesn't really matter if you attach the hinges or any firewall protection first.

Personally, I'm going with Camloc's along the top and bottom of the firewall. The screws I used there on the -6 have worked well, but removing 20 of 'em gets old, and it would take even more on the -10. I'll go with the hinges on the vertical firewall sides and along the top/bottom split - that's how my -6 is.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 12-15-2017, 02:52 PM

Pretty much my thoughts, Kyle. Those top and bottom hinges are enough trouble I'm surprised Van hasn't relegated them to buggy whip status.

Now the question is Skybolt vs. Camloc.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:38 AM

Default Camloc

Quote:
Pretty much my thoughts, Kyle. Those top and bottom hinges are enough trouble I'm surprised Van hasn't relegated them to buggy whip status.

Now the question is Skybolt vs. Camloc.
Bill,
When we converted both our -6's to the James cowlings, one thing we wanted was to rid ourselves of the hinges. We installed Milspecs all around and love it.
Skybolt does have the ready made metal interlocking tabs that simplify the firewall connection, but we used Larry's router table to make alum strips with scallops. That way we didn't have joints between the scallops and I think it is stronger for it.
When I was making the decision as to which brand, I looked and the product seems the same, but Milspec was cheaper. Now, Skybolt does do a better job supporting their product and offering directions and as mentioned earlier, the locking tabs for those that need them. Also they are a VAF advertiser as well! But pretty sure you will find the Milspecs cheaper and I found them to work very well.

PS.....I like your new avitar......seems more manly than mine....:-)
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB

Last edited by Bob Martin : 12-16-2017 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Change camloc to milspec
Old 12-16-2017, 08:41 AM

Default Thanks for your thoughts, Bob

I never minded the vertical side hinges on my 6A. They work smoothly and hold well - attaching the bottom cowl half by myself it's nice to drop that first pin in and know I can let go to attend to the rest of the attach points without worry of it going anywhere.

As to Camlocs and Skybolts, I found an old thread yesterday that suggests MilSpec may have them both beat in some regards. I'm still researching, but likely going with a hybrid combo of hinges, quarter-turn fasteners and #8 screws with Tinnerman washers in the places where each excels.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:34 PM

Default Plodding along

Neat epoxy applied over the squeegied/sanded micro coat. Time for a TON of wet-sanding using the DanH stippled roller coat method.

Cee Bailey put the plexiglass on the truck today. SilPruf on hand. Should be a fun few weeks

Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Neat epoxy applied over the squeegied/sanded micro coat. Time for a TON of wet-sanding using the DanH stippled roller coat method.

Cee Bailey put the plexiglass on the truck today. SilPruf on hand. Should be a fun few weeks
Do you have a link to one of DanH's threads discussing this technique?

Last edited by iwannarv : 08-27-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:14 AM

Default Haven't updated progress in awhile in my own thread

so here goes.

I was pretty much running out of things to do before drilling the gear legs and messing with seat tracks and such. By that I mean, lacking an avionics suite, there wasn't much more to do during the easy-access stage where the fuse is on a rolling dolly down close to the floor.

Time to spit on my hands, rub them together, hoist the Jolly Roger and slit a few throats.

And sweat a few bullets.

Reminder to self: moments like this are why we carry builder's insurance.

After much pondering I decided there was no need to make a sawhorse just for this job. The EAA workbenches I have on hand should be tall enough at 34" and will certainly hold the weight. Tail resting on one bench, engine mount double-strapped to engine hoist, up she goes! Slowly. Ever so slowly. Check everything twice, three times... The fuse canoe hasn't been off this trolley since I inspected the project in Columbus, Ohio three years ago.

Finally, high enough to pull the trolley out of the way and slide the bench under.

Two parting shots showing the gear legs installed. Whew! Big step! 34" bench height seems to give plenty of ground clearance for wheel installation. I'll know for sure tonight.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

That elephant is getting smaller........

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."