-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 AM

I don't have much to add other than to say the reputable shops mentioned here I consider colleagues are fine folks (Aerotronics, Approach, Walt, etc..). With the aforementioned folks specifically, we all actually do business back and forth with each other so I know what you can trust from whom. The "cheapest" vendors are not on that list.

Most people don't realize that with Avionics (and many things aviation) and unlike furniture, jewelry, or even cars - there isn't much margin to start with. Anyone hoping to find a 25% discount or difference in price between different dealers is in for a huge awakening. The reality is that most avionics and electronics now start out with a gross margin to the dealers of high single or low double digit percent numbers at best. That is why you see some folks charging you extra to even use a CC, etc.. I've had/have people call me assuming there are huge margins to begin with and insist on a 30% discount. I have to tell them that when they find that let me know, and I'll start buying supplies from them!

There are folks that will sell somewhat cheaper than others, but you'll never find anyone that is 25 or 30% less than someone else, because it's just not there to begin with. That means that on an entire purchase of avionics you're looking at very small differences (percentage wise) and why we try to add value in other areas. The business model where the only value you add is being the low bidder isn't what we're all about.

As an aside, we do a fair bit of regular business re-wiring items / harnesses that folks already purchased once somewhere else...

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein
Old 11-13-2018, 06:35 PM

I am in the business of electronics for large ships. It is funny that we sometimes see the same from our customers when we are trying to hold a 7% margin on many sales. I have often shown a customer what our cost is and they hang their head and just write a purchase order without trying to further negotiate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinAir View Post
Most people don't realize that with Avionics (and many things aviation) and unlike furniture, jewelry, or even cars - there isn't much margin to start with. Anyone hoping to find a 25% discount or difference in price between different dealers is in for a huge awakening. The reality is that most avionics and electronics now start out with a gross margin to the dealers of high single or low double digit percent numbers at best. That is why you see some folks charging you extra to even use a CC, etc.. I've had/have people call me assuming there are huge margins to begin with and insist on a 30% discount. I have to tell them that when they find that let me know, and I'll start buying supplies from them!

There are folks that will sell somewhat cheaper than others, but you'll never find anyone that is 25 or 30% less than someone else, because it's just not there to begin with. That means that on an entire purchase of avionics you're looking at very small differences (percentage wise) and why we try to add value in other areas. The business model where the only value you add is being the low bidder isn't what we're all about.

As an aside, we do a fair bit of regular business re-wiring items / harnesses that folks already purchased once somewhere else...

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein
Old 11-14-2018, 03:58 AM

Everyone knows if you want to get into an Aviation business, you can easily end up with a million dollars in no time !!! .... just start with ten million.

2021 Dues Paid
Old 12-10-2018, 06:22 PM

Default g3x

Just purchased a G3x complete kit w remote radio and ads-b in/out transponder +++++ all other usual needs for a complete instalation. Purchased from Kirk at Sarasota Avionics and happy to announce I got a great deal. I shopped around for prices as well. It pays out to make a call and talk to a real person.
2020 MX2 New Kit Position (Sold at OSH to Team RV Member)
2009 Team Rocket F1 (Sold)
2008 MXS Green Slime"(Sold)
2007 MX2 Patches" (Sold)
1999 Giles 202 "Primal Fear/Perucho" (Sold)
1965 PA32-260 "God Bless America" (Sold)
2003 RV6 "Airhawk One" (Sold)
Old 12-11-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv031161 View Post
Just purchased a G3x complete kit w remote radio and ads-b in/out transponder +++++ all other usual needs for a complete instalation. Purchased from Kirk at Sarasota Avionics and happy to announce I got a great deal. I shopped around for prices as well. It pays out to make a call and talk to a real person.
You beat me to it. My advice is that if you are going to do all yourself and just want a quick delivery with the lowest price, go with Sarasota. If you want help with your design, harness and/or installation support - Steinair.

My most recent build, I got great package deal through Sarasota, but I’ve long liked Stein, his website and just general great support of experimental avionics; there’s plenty of room in the market for more than one great vendor and I don’t think you’re going wrong with either of these or ACS.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.