-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:49 PM

Kent I have seen many people tweaking these canopy frames. Is this pretty standard on all build?
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 04-07-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Kent I have seen many people tweaking these canopy frames. Is this pretty standard on all build?
Jereme, I really don't know. I was all over the interwebs and the manual and decided to just start forcing it in the direction I thought it needed to go.
In terms of the jig, I think so but many had much more elaborate rigs than mine.
I simply had this stuff in the garage. IMHO you can get away with short contact points. My frame was pretty decent. I am still not 100% I have to pinch it in 0.500 before affixing the plex.
One point I will repeat here is that the front tube stubs the roller things go in are dissimilar in length on mine and several others so measure finished length and cut off the excess tube. If you measure from the end and the tubes are not the same length, bad joojoo.
when you get to this point call me and I can at least tell you what I found out doing mine.
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 04-08-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Jereme, I really don't know. I was all over the interwebs and the manual and decided to just start forcing it in the direction I thought it needed to go.
In terms of the jig, I think so but many had much more elaborate rigs than mine.
I simply had this stuff in the garage. IMHO you can get away with short contact points. My frame was pretty decent. I am still not 100% I have to pinch it in 0.500 before affixing the plex.
One point I will repeat here is that the front tube stubs the roller things go in are dissimilar in length on mine and several others so measure finished length and cut off the excess tube. If you measure from the end and the tubes are not the same length, bad joojoo.
when you get to this point call me and I can at least tell you what I found out doing mine.
Sounds great! thanks for the detailed info
Old 04-08-2018, 10:02 AM

I have a slight twist still. After cutting the front bow tubes to length, the front left and right rear corners are airborne...about .200-250". These are the times working with a recovered airplane make me go deep into what is really bent. I have a decent size granite inspection table from my other business of passed so I checked the frame on it to see that it is the frame, not the plane. Also, not sure yet if I cut the front tubes too short, might have by about 60-80 thousand (Turns out after re-reading the manual again I should be good. The side rails are exactly 2.45" in height across their length front to back).

So this is about how much twist I have. The thumb drive is holding it up a bit, but pretty close dimension of the twist.

Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3

Last edited by kentlik : 04-09-2018 at 09:06 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-10-2018, 08:02 AM

Still battling the frame...
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3

Old 04-10-2018, 06:48 PM

Isn't it amazing how some of the little things can take so much time during the build!
Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Isn't it amazing how some of the little things can take so much time during the build!
I had it. Put on the rear blocks the pins go in and found it was twisted out of shape...bummer
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3

Old 04-12-2018, 08:28 AM

My slider frame is not moving where I need it to. Aggressive action needed.

Goodish side

Left side pin low and hits receiver block center low...

suggestions?
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3

Old 04-12-2018, 10:16 AM

Default Only a suggestion...

I reviewed your previous posts to see if you'd been working on the frame for awhile. Yup. Looks a lot like what I've been through on the ones I've done.

I had the exact same twist. I don't have a great photo of the setup I used to remove it but here's one showing things as I was setting up:

I added some blocks to the table surface to more positively clamp the forward bow, then used a long straight edge held vertically to the table to get a tape-measure-accuracy position on the rear pins. Then with two(!) helpers we twisted the whole thing while standing on the table (so the table wouldn't just slide across the floor) until subsequent measurements indicated that we had imparted the necessary twist. It took a lot of force and motion, as you've discovered. Dropped it on the fuselage and voila, it fit. Finally. And, as it appears to be in your case, it was the last thing I needed to do before calling it good.

Good luck!
1120+ hours as of August 17, 2021.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
I reviewed your previous posts to see if you'd been working on the frame for awhile. Yup. Looks a lot like what I've been through on the ones I've done.

I had the exact same twist. I don't have a great photo of the setup I used to remove it but here's one showing things as I was setting up:

I added some blocks to the table surface to more positively clamp the forward bow, then used a long straight edge held vertically to the table to get a tape-measure-accuracy position on the rear pins. Then with two(!) helpers we twisted the whole thing while standing on the table (so the table wouldn't just slide across the floor) until subsequent measurements indicated that we had imparted the necessary twist. It took a lot of force and motion, as you've discovered. Dropped it on the fuselage and voila, it fit. Finally. And, as it appears to be in your case, it was the last thing I needed to do before calling it good.

Good luck!
Lars, Thank you for the tip.
As it turns out that is exactly the last step and what myself and my buff 195lb son did last night. Stared at it for a few minutes and then reefed on it as you described three different times and bomb! Pretty darn good fit. I can now attach the slider track permanently. One more question: now I have to pinch it together 0.5" for the spring back of the plex???

Not perfect but good enough for me tonight...
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3