What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fastback RV8 panel pics

sjhurlbut

Well Known Member
Working on my panel and canopy frame at same time. RV8 with Showplanes fastback.

I'm looking for how much of the instrument panel gets covered when the canopy is closed. The front brace of the canopy frame sits slightly in front of the panel. I've seen panels with little consideration of this and instruments right up to the edge while the demo RV8 fastback has a 1" space all way around.

So you fastback guys:
When your canopy is closed how much panel is covered and how much do I need to leave in order to not obscure anything?

Pics would be nice here

Contact Jesse Saint. I have the showplaces fastback and canopy and he did my panel. Should still have the mock up with edge clearance.

ejyxg.jpg

I don't have dimensions handy but this pic gives you a general sense of the canopy frame "overlap" on the panel. When closed, the bottom of the frame just covers the 8/32 pan head screws around the top perimeter of the panel....the dimension widens from the top to the sides (guessing 3/4 inch at the top to 1 1/2 inches at the sides.

For reference, the two screens are 10.4 inch HXrs and the radio is a GTN650. Note that the panel itself is a single piece of 1/8 inch thick aluminum rather than the standard 3-section panel from Vans.

Back