Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:27 PM

Post Title: Drilled E-701 (Left Elevator Skin) to Skeleton</title>
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:30:11 +0000
Prev | Next

Wow, it's been a week since I've worked on the airplane.

I have an excuse, though. I've been installing wood floors. Here's the living room, almost done.

Anyway, if you remember from the last post, I had the left elevator skin clecoed to the skeleton. I went ahead and match-drilled the skin to the skeleton. Instead of using my cordless drill (because it's quieter), I broke out the air drill and went to town. I love the way that thing sounds.

Forgot to charge the camera battery, so it charged while I drilled.
After matchdrilling both sides, this picture is me in the middle of removing all of the clecos.

Then, because I felt like I would be short-changing you if I didn't have two pictures for you, here's another one.
After disassembly.

Here's the catch, though. I have a lot of thinking and pondering to do about some things.

First of all, I am planning on cutting off the elevator tab (and elevator) bent ears and just making a rib out of them. Jason Beaver did it pretty successfully here and here, so I'm basically going to copy him.

The question is whether to prep and rivet the left elevator now, the cut off the "ears" after riveting, then try to fabricate a rib, matchdrill, dimple, prep again, etc., or should I re-cleco everything together and do all of that fabrication now.

Many people use blind rivets for the extra tab fabrication, but I think I am going to try to use solid rivets. I have had some success in the past with solid rivets in tight spaces using a special bucking bar (namely, the end of a BFS ("big-freakin-screwdriver"). The question will be about dimpling.

Also, I can probably cut the ears off, but leave a little extra material. I need to make sure I line up the cuts on the elevator and tab to minimize the gab between the two, and I don't want to cut to much off of either side. Maybe I'll mock them up, cut one side to where I think it should be, and make sure the other side can be cut more precisely to match the first cut.

Also, many people use blind rivets for the four trim spar rivets on both sides (per the plans), but I think I can assemble in an order that allows me to use solid rivets, especially since I'm going to cut the elevator bent tab ears off; I should be able to reach in there with a bucking bar.

See how much thinking I have to do?
Prev | Next
Empennage...Done (except rebuilding the rudder.)
Wings...Halfway complete.
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2018, 08:29 PM

Post Title: Started working on the Elevator Tab</title>
Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:00:55 +0000
Prev | Next

After some more days of not doing anything, I managed to make it out to the Pilots N Paws fly-in today. It was good motivation for working on the airplane.

Anyway, I've drilled the left elevator skin to the skeleton, and the next step is really to take everything apart, deburr, dimple, countersink, prep, prime and assemble...

BUT...

I have some things that need to be done first. Mostly, the directions want you to bend the elevator tab "ears." Well, I don't think I want to go the bent route. Here's what I am worried about. I don't think anyone would really notice, but I don't love the way this looks.
Bent trim tab ears. I think I'm going to cut mine off and make little ribs.

I think with some work, I could make them look like this, but given how finished these surfaces are, I don't know if they started as bent ears or riblets.
WHOA! This is awesome. This guy really finished this joint up nicely. Everybody be jealous.

Finally, I found a really nice riblets version. I like this, and this is what I am going to be aiming for (although I am going to try to use solid rivets.
Great finish on the cut-instead-of-bend tab ears. I'm going to strive to make mine like this.

Anyway, I also think cutting the ears off (not bent down in the way) will allow me to use solid rivets in the blind-rivet locations on the top and bottom of the elevator (outboard trim spar rivets). We'll see.

First step is to get the skeleton re-clecoed in the skin.
The trim spar and the inboard rib.

Van's wants you to countersink either piece for flush rivets (not for any real flush reason...I think they need to be #40 size holes, and they don't give you any universal head AN470AD3 rivets). Anyway, per standard practice, I dimpled both.
Dimpled instead of countersunk.

After clecoing together the skin, I am ready to start the headscratching with the tab. Let's find the tab spar.
There it is.

Let's go ahead and cut off these tabs. After careful measuring and marking, I'm ready to put blade to metal.
Inboard side. I'm nervous about chopping these off.

Outboard. (see how I lined up the line parallel to the flat portion near the top and to the left of the relief hole near the bottom? This doesn't work. Read on to find out why.

After a quick snip (not too close to my final line) I removed the vinyl from the interior of the skin in preparation for using a file and scotchbrite pad to clean everything up.
Devinling before finishing those cuts.

After working carefully with a file and edge finisher...
Looks good.
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2018, 08:29 PM

Before I really finalize things, I'd like to get my tab placement set up. First, I tried using this extra piece of rudder stiffener.
It worked okay, but I later switched to something a little longer.

After some moving around and fiddling, I re-read the directions, which tell you to bend the elevator ears down along a bend line that is perpendicular to the hinge line. Well, that means that the cut lines should be perpendicular, too. Of course, like I mentioned before, my original outboard line wasn't perpendicular. All that file work for nothing.

I drew new lines (one on top of the other, ignoring the needed clearance).
Drawing new, perpendicular lines.

Then, I made a "pretty close" cut with the snips. I'll need to really clean this up, as well as move the line to the left for clearance purposes (I'll wait until the hinges are drilled to really see what I need. (The instructions call for 3/32", but that is for the blind rivet head clearance that I won't have to worry about.)
Pretty close, but still needs trimming and finishing.

Next, I moved back to the tab. Here's my new line.
I'm bummed because the upper part of the tab, factory provided, is not perpendicular to the hinge line. That means there will be a slight angle there. Bummer.

After getting those refinished, I got the tab mocked up. I kind of worked backward. I want to use the inboard edge and the trailing edge to get placement, then verify I have adequate clearance on the outboard edge and between the tab and elevator for the hinge (there are some hinge dimensions on the plans). I think I'll have plenty of room.
This looks good, but I'll have to keep trimming that outboard edge.

Here's a closeup. You can see the edge near the top of the tab is angled a little left. This is how it comes from the factory. The marker line and aft portion of the tab are both perfectly perpendicular to the hinge line (line through the center of the rivet holes).

Later this week, I'll work on getting this perfect, then tackling the riblets that need to be constructed before doing any more work with finishing the skin.
Prev | Next
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2018, 08:30 PM

Post Title: $6.48</title>
Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:06:45 +0000
Prev | Next
[url="http://n999za.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/6-48/">[/URL]After getting stung by a wasp two times in the last two days trying to mow the lawn in the backyard, I gave up (shows determination and perseverance, huh?) and retreated to the comfort of my garage for some airplane work (the floors can wait until tomorrow).

Back to the tab. Before I do any more cutting on the elevator, I want to get the tab hinge drilled so I know exactly where the outboard edge of the tab will swing. I am doing this before they really tell you to in the directions (the directions have you actually finish the elevator, then start working on the tab.

Anyway, you are supposed to draw a line 1/4" from the loop edge of the tab, and first matchdrill that to the tab. (I started with the elevator side, which eventually bit me in the ***. Read on.)
I decided to mark both sides with the 1/4" line. Hmm. Doesn't look like there is going to be a lot of edge distance.

Then, I took the hinge apart (you can see the hinge pin in the next photo) and clamped the elevator side to the elevator, lining up my 1/4" line in the first prepunched hole, and aligning the first hinge loop where I thought it looked good (making sure this fit with the plans).
Hint: If you take apart the hinge, you can easily clamp the hinge half to the elevator (and tab, with the other half).

Next, I lined up the outboard side. This tab hinge is nice and square with the edge, and with the holes.

Let's drill!
Here are 6 holes drilled (I'm working inboard to outboard).

All done with the elevator side.?

Next, I reassembled the hinge and spent a few minutes just kind of getting everything lined up.
I wish this were the final product, but this is just me mocking things up before drilling.

With the greatest of coordination, I managed to hold a straight-edge against the inboard edge, line up the inboard pre-punched hole with the 1/4" line, and line up the trailing edge of the tab with the trailing edge of the elevator, AND take this picture. Boo-ya.
Looks good so far.

Then, I drilled the inboard hole. The inboard side is perfect. (Can you tell that some other part may not be by the way I phrased that?)
If you look closely (lower left corner), you can see that the tab trailing edge is further aft than the elevator trailing edge.?

I was pissed. I lined up the hinge with the elevator edges and holes, and with the tab edges and holes. This means that either the elevator or the tab isn't perfectly square.

I thought about just moving the tab forward, but then there would be slightly different distances between the skins from inboard to outboard. I measured it...it would have been about 1/32 difference. No one would have noticed except for me.

But...I can't leave it alone. I'm going to reorder the hinge and try again. This time, I'm still not going to follow the directions. If you make the hinge perfectly square to the tab, it's going to be off on the elevator side. I'm going to have to split the difference between both by first clamping the tab in perfect position, then clamping the hinge in place and matchdrilling a few holes.

Admittedly, I should have followed the directions by starting with the tab edge, but it wouldn't have mattered, it still wouldn't have been a perfectly square hinge line after I was done.
The tab hinge is AN257-P2 according to the materials list in Section 4, but the part shows MS20257-2.

I also think, given my edge distance worries (must be okay because it is per the plans? I don't know), I am going to order the MS20257-3 (or AN257-P3, which is 1 + 1/4" wide instead of 1 + 1/16"). I checked with Van's, and they want $9.70 (plus $4 handling, plus $12 shipping or something) for an 24" piece of AN257-P3.

I checked aircraft spruce, and they wanted $4.75 for a 3' piece and $1.73 shipping via USPS.

Which one do I choose?

Duh. $6.48 for my first re-ordered part. Bummer. (It's better than a $60 elevator skin, though!)
Here are my edge distances.
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2018, 08:32 PM

Post Title: Left Elevator Riblet, Day 1</title>
Tue, 29 Jun 2010 00:41:25 +0000
Prev | Next

After the huge success last night, I was ready to move back to the elevator so I could get to prepping and riveting. First thing tonight was to take some small measurements, then transfer some lines to a piece of cardstock to create a template for the riblet I need to create. (Notice the title of the post is ...Day 1. There will be multiple days of this dance, unfortunately.)

Here's my first try at a template, and then the adjusted second try before being cut out.
I don't know why my first try was so big. Must have measured wrong.

Here's a shot of the space I am trying to fill. It's not edge finished here, but will be after I get a riblet created.
Left elevator's trim tab cutout.

Ginger was being bad inside, so she was banished to the garage ("go annoy your father"). Ha, little did we know that there was sawdust that she could be rubbing her face in. Serves us right for trying to punish her.
She's not cute at all.

So this is actually my second aluminum riblet after bending one of the flanges up in a vice. I think that edge is too sharp.
It's looking good so far.

But, even though I was really careful to finish all the edges before bending (like I forgot to do on the first one), I still got a crack.
I put a picture of my crack on the internet. Ha.

Even with the crack, I thought I would show you what I intended before scrapping the piece and starting over.
This is the general idea.

But then I got frustrated and just cut the forward part of the riblet off, and put it in place to see what it would look like.
Hmm. This doesn't look horrible, but I'd rather have the forward part of the rib, and the tie-in to the spar.

So, after an hour outside, I have to scrap the part and start over. Boo.

(To be honest, this is the really fun part of building. I get to use my thinking cap.)
Prev | Next
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2018, 08:39 PM

Post Title: Left Elevator Riblet, Day 2
Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:30:20 +0000
Prev | Next

Captain's Log: Day 2. Great success with the riblet.

So after yesterday's wasted (I know, it wasn't really wasted) time making two FAILURES of riblets for the elevator trim cutout, today's worked out much better.

I had actually woken up at 3am in a cold sweat; "Oh my gosh, I need to tie the front of the riblet into the elevator trim spar." (Warning: Cold sweat may be exaggerated.)

Anyway, I got out the jigsaw with a fine metal-cutting blade and found that this technique was far superior to the snips, which leave little ridges along the cut.

So, more measuring, tracing, and drilling/cutting.
This is try #3.

Then, after judiciously edge finishing (which is a must before bending aluminum...ask me how I know.)
Okay, Those bends are pretty good, let's work on the front.

Hey pups! (I took about 15 pictures of them for your viewing pleasure, but this is the only one that wasn't too blurry.) Jack and Ginger, curious about the airplane.

Also, I had picked this surface conditioning kit up at Harbor Freight. 1-inch diameter, and blue is finer (I think) than maroon.
This worked pretty well for quick finishing. I want to try the larger sizes, too.

You can see from the paper template on the right that wasn't going to tie in to the spar. I cut out the corners on the piece to the left pretty roughly.
Old template on the right, current work piece on the left.

So then I edge-finished and bent the three tabs that tie in to the spar. Because there was a dimple already in the bottom flange of the spar, I went ahead and drilled and dimpled that one ear on my new riblet.
How do you like the nice sharp picture of my set of needle files and permagrit block? (And very blurry pic of my riblet being dimpled. The yoke and die just barely fit.)

Here's the almost finished product.
It's kind of cute.

So it doesn't fit "perfectly" in the openeing, but this is close enough that I don't need to remake it. I'll tweak it a little and reduce some of those gaps you see in the coming days.
Pretty darn good.

The big gap on the left is actually the elevator skin bowing locally that I need to fix. The riblet is actually straight.
I'm so happy this one worked out.

Next, time to deburr and dimple the left elevator spar.
Me dimpling.
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2018, 08:41 PM

And after everything was dimpled, a nice picture down the spar of my blurry recycling bin, golf clubs, and motorcycle jack. (No motorcycle anymore, but the jack comes in handy to lift the corner of a car when a tire needs to be taken off for one reason or another.)
Spar! (I'm tired, so we are down to one word captions for the day.)

Another shot of the same.
Dimple! (Wouldn't it be annoying if I everything I wrote ended in an exclamation mark?!)

After edge finishing the two hinge reinforcement plates, I shot them with primer.
Primed!

Then, my attention turned back to the tab. I've clecoed the elevator half of the tab hinge back in, and on the right you can see my drilled riblet!
Drilled riblet! (Okay, I've had enough of the exclamation points.....!)

Here's a better picture. I basically drew a line perpendicular to the hinge line up from one of the holes along the trim spar, then spaced them at 1.5 and 3 inches. That spaced everything evenly, and gave me plenty of edge distance all around.
Don't look at my edges, they aren't finished yet, but you get the idea.

Other direction, just for kicks (not as much deflection due to cleco interference, but again, you get the idea).

Because I bought a longer section of hinge to replace my bad first attempt, my hinge pin was long enough to actually fit (Van's says they will send you the real one (because it needs to be longer than 18") in the finish kit.
I got to bending.

After more bending, I ended up with something like this.

Ooh, isn't that pretty! The safety wire hole I drilled earlier is in the middle there, and will allow me to safety wire this hinge pin to the spar so it won't COME OUT IN FLIGHT!

Two hours of late-night-hinge-pin-bending bliss.
Prev | Next
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2018, 08:44 PM

First thing, I got the new piece cut to length. It ended up being a little shorter than 18 inches... I made sure the elevator side had a hinge "ear" on each end.
I eye-balled the hinge pin length a little long. Van's tells you the hinge pin they ship with this kit is not long enough to bend and safety to the elevator, and that they'll ship the real one in the fuse kit (or finish kit, can't remember). I guessed it was about 2 extra inches I needed for the bends and then cut the hinge pin.

Then, I spent a good amount of time Just getting everything lined up. I am a little frustrated at this point, because the supposedly straight line of holes on the elevator is not parallel to the supposedly straight line of holes on the tab. This means that with the trailing and inboard edges of the tab aligned with the elevator, the gap between the leading edge of the tab and the elevator cutout is smaller near the root than the tip of the tab.
Inboard and trailing edges aligned perfectly.

Here's my inboard edge.

So, again, I strayed from the directions. I held the hinge in position, making sure the actual pin was directly in the middle of the gap as shown in the picture above at the root (smaller gap) edge and at the outboard (larger gap) edge. I figured as long as the pin was directly centered, I'd be okay. Then, I clamped it in place, and marked a single hole (see below) for drilling. I couldn't pick the edge hole, because it was covered by my square.
On the drill press, ready to drill a single hole.

I repeated this for another single hole on the tab side, again, making sure the hinge pin was perfectly centered between the two surfaces.
Two holes drilled and clecoed.

At this point, it was close to being locked in place. I did notice that these hinges are somewhat flexible, so while I marked every hole for drilling, I really only drilled a few more before clecoing it in place and match-drilling the rest of the holes.

(A more technical side note...because I upped the hinge size to a MS20257-3, the hinge was too wide to fit inside the radius of the elevator and trim tab spars. When matchrilling, I had to change the order of the skin, hinge, spar to accommodate the extra length, then I went back and ripped a small (1/16") strip off of the hinges so they would fit nicely in the radii of the spars.)
Here are my feet, ready to keep going on the hinge.

Fast forward after some drilling noises, and here are the two halves, each clecoed to their surfaces.
Ooh, looks good.

I still have a little bit to trim on the elevator skin, but I trimmed enough to allow some motion today.
You can just see the rounded (so it slides in easier) tip of the pin in this picture.

Here's a closeup of how much extra pin I think I need to make the bend forward (along the spar flange) and then down (along the spar web) to a small safety-wire hole I have yet to drill to safety the pin in place.
Man, that thing is long. (TWSS)

After getting the pin in, I took out every other cleco on each surface so I could move it back and forth.
Neutral.
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2018, 08:45 PM

Tab up (or elevator down trim).

asdf
Tab down (or elevator up trim).

After dancing around for a little due to how great the tab looks on the elevator (and how well-aligned it is), I took the thing apart, ripped the 1/16" off of each hinge half, and fired up the scotchbrite wheel to clean up all of the edges.
Look on the lower right part of the tab. That little angled cutout is so the hinge hides nicely under the tab skin.

I figured now would be a good time to finish match-drilling the tab. Let's go find E-718 and E-717.
There they are!

Apparently I thought it would be a good idea to show you my scotchbrite wheel. That little groove is just getting to the right size so I can run the edge of a piece of aluminum down it and it perfectly rounds both sides.
I love this thing.

Back to the tab horn. The directions would have you use the clevis pin (don't have this yet because I haven't ordered the tab motor) to line up the two horns. How about two perfectly-fitting #30 clecos?
For balance purposes, I put one on each side.

Three of the holes are pre-punched, and two are not.
Just before match-drilling everything.

All done.

All done. (From another angle.)

I was planning on at least polishing the tab for now, so I marked off where the horn sits. I'll prep and prime this little area under the horns, but I'll leave the rest polished. (The bottom of the tab is going to be a good place to teach myself how to polish aluminum.)
The horn location, marked for future priming.

Whew. That was a good two hour work session today. It was like a sauna (more like a steam bath...this is the south!) in the garage today. I kept sweating on the airplane. (People say they put blood, sweat, and tears into their projects. I've got one covered, and will undoubtedly bleed and cry because of the project sometime in the future. Have to have something to look forward to, right?)
Prev | Next
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2018, 08:46 PM

Post Title: Started Prepping Left Elevator Skeleton
Fri, 02 Jul 2010 19:04:14 +0000
Prev | Next

Even though it was my day off, I spent the day trying not to get stung by bees (mowing the forest behind my fence) and meeting the girlfriend for food. After that, I managed to waste an hour or so installing a fan in the garage. Recently, it's been brutal in the garage, so this morning, while I was walking around Lowe's, I saw a small ceiling fan for $17. I couldn't say no. It was harder to install than our nicer fans inside (no little quick-disconnect fan blades or anything), but in the end, it makes me cooler in the garage (double meaning intended).
Huzzah!

Then, I moved over to the spar. These four holes get countersunk because they attach E-705, but the elevator horn has to sit over the rivets but still flush against the forward face of the web.
Beautiful countersinks.

While I had the countersink cage set up, I pulled the trim tab spar out of the elevator and started on it.
Countersink the top flange, dimple the bottom flange.

Aren't these countersinks nice?

After countersinking, both the tab spar and the left elevator main spar were scuffed (more), edge-finished, and then got a trip inside to the sink for a quick rinse before coming back outside to eventually get a coat of primer.
I'm getting close to riveting something, watch out!

Anyway, two very productive hours, and I think I can rivet some reinforcement plates tomorrow if I want. Wuhoo!
Prev | Next
2018 Dues Paid