Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2018, 07:41 PM

art gallery quality

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 02-26-2018, 08:53 PM

Default Checker Boards

Oh how I remember doing those on a Cessna 170B jump plane, a set on each wing about four foot across wrapped around it, vertical completed. Took 16 hours to do and then paint. Enough to drive one nuts. Looks great.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:35 AM

Looks amazing! Is there a time limit between when you have to spray the clear after spraying the color coat?
2011 RANS S-6S
2011 Vans RV-7
2015 Zenith Cruzer
1962 Mooney M20C
2019 KITFOX Super Sport
Old 02-27-2018, 08:56 AM

Default Thanks

Rob is adding the clear an hour after the color is added and no later than 12 hours...the sheets say max of 24 hours and with the metallic, were not going to miss that timeline!

Cheers,

Don
Old 03-07-2018, 07:01 AM

Default Getting close......

Just about ready to start buttoning her up for good.......

MT 3 Blade CS
C-182 N3159F
Old 03-07-2018, 08:02 AM

looks great, do you have some Pictures Firewall Forward? Looks like a nice installation!
RV-8 #83458 HB-YUA
Donation 2020 done
Old 03-07-2018, 11:36 AM

Default Thanks Yves.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesCH View Post
looks great, do you have some Pictures Firewall Forward? Looks like a nice installation!
Don't look to close! I still have a good bit of tidying up yet to do... Once I've tested all my electrical, I'll remove most of the cable ties and replace with lacing cord and adel clamps. I have a full Christen inverted oil system, Garmin G3 IFR with all the engine stuff, RV Bits Plenum on a new Lycoming IO-360 spinning an MT CS prop.... Had quite a time getting all the extras on and in place. I did have to re-glass my air box in order to get it centered.... OCD gives me a fit!!!

MT 3 Blade CS
C-182 N3159F

Last edited by Mike S : 03-07-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapeloson View Post
Don't look to close! I still have a good bit of tidying up yet to do... Once I've tested all my electrical, I'll remove most of the cable ties and replace with lacing cord and adel clamps. I have a full Christen inverted oil system, Garmin G3 IFR with all the engine stuff, RV Bits Plenum on a new Lycoming IO-360 spinning an MT CS prop.... Had quite a time getting all the extras on and in place. I did have to re-glass my air box in order to get it centered.... OCD gives me a fit!!!
Looks really nice with the Plenum! I am still hesitating if I should build a Plenum or use normal baffling... Do you also have a Picture from the other side? Sorry but most Pictures of the FF in the Forum are dead links.. So I am always happy to see more Pictures. I am currently working on my firewall Forward installation with a IO-360 and a full inverted system.
RV-8 #83458 HB-YUA
Donation 2020 done
Old 03-07-2018, 11:54 AM

I now have extreme plenum envy.
I'm looking at the left rear corner of the baffle where the oil cooler is bolted to the baffles - as a few other RV8s I'm suspecting that you may eventually get vertical cracking around the bend. It's hard to tell from the picture if there is a reinforcing angle there that some folks add to fix the crack when they occur or prevent in the first place. You'll likely find the issue if you search the forums.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:55 PM

Default I'm hoping......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scremm View Post
I now have extreme plenum envy.
I'm looking at the left rear corner of the baffle where the oil cooler is bolted to the baffles - as a few other RV8s I'm suspecting that you may eventually get vertical cracking around the bend. It's hard to tell from the picture if there is a reinforcing angle there that some folks add to fix the crack when they occur or prevent in the first place. You'll likely find the issue if you search the forums.
I was aware of the issue but, I forgot about it until I was past that point. I did have to remove completely the front and rear baffle brace in order to get the plenum to fit. But, after a few e-mails back and forth with Jan at RV Bits he said the plenum itself will take the place of that. So, I'm hoping it will also help with cracking issue in that corner. I did have a tech visit from Vic Syracuse and he wasn't too impressed with plenums overall.... he said most he has seen caused heating issues..... I did use the Airflow oil cooler as per recommendation from Jan. I hope it all works like it's supposed to...... it sure is sexy!!! I'm setting this plane up for acro and most of my friends say the plenum will keep the cowling from blowing up during the dives...... ????? ......
MT 3 Blade CS
C-182 N3159F