-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:18 AM

Steve- I was actually in the process of hand-forming foam cores for something very similar when I discovered your post- Nice work! QUESTION- what is the secret for direct posting of images like yours in VAF threads? A jpeg is for sure worth a thousand words...Otis
Frmr Test Pilot/Author CAFE APR's:
RV-8A, S-7C, Europa, Glastar.
-2021 VAF donation!!-
"RV-Fun is inversely proportional to RV-Weight!"
Old 02-22-2018, 11:00 AM

I think there is a link on the upper left of the home page. I use photobucket for picture hosting but my time is limited with them. I do not recommend them because they have jacked the prices and I am sure my photos will go blank some day.

these are speed mods for the RV-9 flap brackets. I'm looking forward to my RV-14A (200 hp) race.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 02-22-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:31 PM

Default couple of fairings

ready for testing. I'm planning to try to add a button to cover the nut but it's a tight fit, not sure if it is possible or even worth it. a very nice look. uses the same AN-6 bolt but no washer. the lower fairing acts as the washer. lightly snugged to the first nut cotter pint slot after contact (same as my original fit before fairing), so they are not very tight but seem to provide a good fit. no adhesive.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 02-23-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:48 PM

Steve: Your aerodynamic upgrades are beginning to take root all over your airplane! Any comprehensive airspeed testing with all of them installed at the same time yet?
F1 Rocket #160 flying
Old 02-23-2018, 09:59 PM

multiplying like rabbets. no dedicated testing yet. maybe I'll get to that when things slow down. I think your approach would be correct. take all fairings off and test then reinstall all and retest. for now, all I know is that the airspeed indicator says I'm faster overall.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 02-24-2018, 06:21 PM

Default flap bracket fairing RV-9

finally getting around to removing the tape and securing these aft fairings (grey to white) with a dab of goop. upon inspection, all fairings look good. no signs of wear or distress on anything.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 02-24-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 AM

Question Your rudder pedal extensions

Hey Steve your rudder pedal extensions did you print them or bought elsewhere? They definitely beat mine.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Hey Steve your rudder pedal extensions did you print them or bought elsewhere? They definitely beat mine.

I have JD Airparts rudder extensions. They have been good.

I think I could do these for half the weight and half the cost. I'll send you a set for testing.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 02-25-2018, 10:57 PM

Looking forward to the testing then! A minor recommendation, how about considering a new, separate thread for reporting the results? Might keep the confusion down a bit. Also, be sure to nail down your original configuration airspeed numbers as carefully as you can. Should hold down some of the noise when your final "aerodynamically enhanced" numbers either sound too good to be true (to some) and not nearly good enough (to some others)!

Lee...
F1 Rocket #160 flying
Old 02-28-2018, 04:21 PM

Hey Steve,
Just wanted to give a "non-scientific" speed update from my perspective. On Sunday I flew two 45 minute flights. The first from E. Kansas to Central Missouri (5,500 ft msl). The 2nd leg back to the Kansas City area (8,500 ft msl). Each leg was approximately 45 minutes. I had just installed two fuel fairings and two wing tie-down fairings.

My normal true airspeed generally averages 142-143 knots (24 rpm, 24 man. press). On the two legs flown I averaged 145 knots (fluctuated between 144-147) true airspeed both ways (24 rpm, 24 man. pressure). I was pleased in picking up approximately 2-3 knots with just those 4 small fairings added.

Like I said, not a scientific speed test, but it is noticeably faster than what I normally have seen, after three years of flying this plane. I just received the modified flap fairings in the mail today and look forward to getting those installed and expect another positive variance. Will be ordering the rudder (clevis bolt) fairings as well when you get them up on the website. In addition to speed gained, the fairings improve the aesthetics of the plane.
Great work! Jeff

Last edited by JKintzle : 03-01-2018 at 07:16 PM.