Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:46 AM

Default 3d imaging

Great work Steve. What camera and software are you using? Exporting scan to
stl file? Are you able to work inside Solidworks to use the contours that you will have recorded to make a part that near perfectly adapts? The open source softwares for imaging into ply files and the files that are used for clean up and conversion are all very intricate and have a fairly high learning curve. Not to mention the ram, CPU, GPU requirements to avoid lengthy processing times.
The superb paint job on your airplane with its high gloss finish will no doubt create some issues with imaging. How are you dealing with reflections?
Enough questions. Keep up the good work and be nice to Shawn who took over my hangar.
Mark
0 360 A1A Ellison throttle body
PMags
Trutrak Efis
Catto 3 Blade
FLYING
Old 02-06-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeard10 View Post
Great work Steve. What camera and software are you using? Exporting scan to
stl file? Are you able to work inside Solidworks to use the contours that you will have recorded to make a part that near perfectly adapts? The open source softwares for imaging into ply files and the files that are used for clean up and conversion are all very intricate and have a fairly high learning curve. Not to mention the ram, CPU, GPU requirements to avoid lengthy processing times.
The superb paint job on your airplane with its high gloss finish will no doubt create some issues with imaging. How are you dealing with reflections?
Enough questions. Keep up the good work and be nice to Shawn who took over my hangar.
Mark
Hi Mark! David scanner exporting Solidworks. I give it a light coat of Frost leak check powder to reduce the gloss for scanning.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 02-10-2018, 04:07 AM

Default maybe two pieces?

this may be worth a look. not much clamp on the clevis, if any. I suppose some adhesive could be used. plan to bend these downwards to fit the bar angle and add some fairing taper.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 02-10-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:41 AM

That looks like it was fun to play around with in Solidworks, but honestly they look so small that I find a hard time believing they'll give you the required 3kts per modification...
Old 02-10-2018, 12:01 PM

I'd like to mount a Garmin GDU470 on the passenger side with something like this, is that possible?

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 02-10-2018, 12:28 PM

One idea I had was a fixture for a GoPro which had mirror holder that rotated, and a method to screw the fixture into one of the tie-down/jack points..

The camera is looking down but there's a 45 degree angled mirror so what it sees is a horizontal view. Then with a (bluetooth?) signal the mirror can be rotated through 360 degrees so you can look forward, aft, out the wingtip, towards the fuselage.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
One idea I had was a fixture for a GoPro which had mirror holder that rotated, and a method to screw the fixture into one of the tie-down/jack points..

The camera is looking down but there's a 45 degree angled mirror so what it sees is a horizontal view. Then with a (bluetooth?) signal the mirror can be rotated through 360 degrees so you can look forward, aft, out the wingtip, towards the fuselage.
Or, you could just
http://diytripods.com/gopro-pan-tilt...ntrol-fixture/
Old 02-10-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
What fun is that?

Actually looks like to moves a little to fast. But yeah that will do it. I thought that moving the mirror might make for a lighter system.

Here is a homebrew system that doesn't look too bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTzgsmA4Rqc

They even rigged it with a head tracker so that the camera follows where you look (though they don't show you how that's done).

Last edited by Saville : 02-18-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:48 PM

The mount is just following the joystick. Move it slower, and the camera moves slower. That's achievable with a longer stick, or a multi-turn pot for each axis, or...
Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I'd like to mount a Garmin GDU470 on the passenger side with something like this, is that possible?
Hello Walt,
I have my GDU 470 mounted in my panel. I actually replaced a 695 with the 470. Sorry I don't have a pic of the installation at this time I can post.

I am sure you are interested in the canted capability of what you are showing in your example but I will say in the RV I don't think it is crucial to have it tilted. I have an 8.4" GRT HX display directly in front of the passenger. It is still very easy to see even though it is not tilted toward the pilot. As for the 470, the hole I had for the 695 was the perfect size for the 470. The bracket supplied with the unit fits behind the panel and 4 screws on the corners hold it in place very securly. There was no modification needed at all when I swapped them out.

I am sure you have a different situation but I love how the 470 installed in my panel. I will try to post some pics when able.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻