Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2017, 06:55 PM

Default Date Corrections

Correction... The QB parts arrived at Van's 7 July and I got them 23 July. I wrote the original post after a flight through the night across the Atlantic covering 5 time zones and I was a little groggy when I posted the original. I edited my post to correct it, but it still shows the incorrect months on the VAF front page.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:37 PM

Fuselage lower halves joined, riveting in progress.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 08-21-2017, 06:29 AM

Default Current Status

Interior painted, rudder pedals and brakes in, elevator stops set, roll bar and brace installed. On to the canopy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3737577B-EC1D-451E-8B2C-F8FA99FBC827.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	152  
Miss March 2020

Last edited by MED : 07-13-2020 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Replace missing photo
Old 08-22-2017, 11:45 AM

I am about to the same stage as you with my QB RV-7. I would be interested in more detail on your interior painting. What paint did you use and how did you prep & mask the structure before painting? Are there areas in the cockpit you want to make sure you don't paint?

Mark Rinehart
QB RV-7 0218
Old 08-22-2017, 02:26 PM

I used Sherwin Williams JetFlex WR (water reducible). The color is gray beige, which looks a little like a file cabinet in person. I used the 3M Accuspray spray gun, which I highly recommend - easy to use and simple to clean. The paint is very forgiving for a beginner like me. It turned out better than I even hoped.
I masked the firewall stainless steel and closed all of the openings around he controls and the floor tunnel with poster board. I wrapped the entire fuselage outside with cling plastic I found at Walmart, making sure I taped it well to the fuselage around the cockpit opening. I painted the interior before installing rudder pedals, sticks, and the rollbar, per the plans, then painted the rollbar separately before installing it. The painting was easier and less stressful than I expected.
One other thing: I installed disposable screws in all of the nutplates to keep paint out of the threads. Might be overkill, but it made me feel better.
Miss March 2020

Last edited by MED : 08-24-2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Corrected name of spraygun
Old 08-24-2017, 11:45 AM

Thanks. From the picture the color looks almost tan or beige, but it's really a gray?

Capt_Riney
RV7 QB
Old 08-24-2017, 05:53 PM

It is listed as gray/beige. I wanted something close to taupe instead of the "normal" gray everyone uses, since the outside of the plane will be green. Gray/beige was a standard color, which did not require a one gallon minimum order. I bought 2 quarts ($96/qt) and it looks like I will only use a little more than one.
Miss March 2020
Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 PM

Vertical stabilizer is complete as of 8/24/17. Took about 26 hours. My Efficiency and quality are improving. This is a great kit. I have benefitted immensely from this community. Hopefully I will be able to offer help to others the way I have been helped. On to the rudder--Saturday. Friday We are going flying.

RV-14A Empennage Kit #140396
=========================================

Last edited by bk1bennett : 08-24-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:03 PM

Default RV-14A Rudder (Section 7) Complete

On Friday night, 9/22/17, I finished the Rudder (Section 7). It took me over 40 hours.I had to patch an area on the right skin because I creased it during back riveting (ran off the end of the plate as I merrily riveted away without thinking). I have a couple of minor flaws, but I think it is airworthy. Hopefully, someday the FAA will agree.

After two months of building, and I have two assemblies.

What I have learned so far:

1. Keep thinking during every step. The instructions are good. The kit is excellent. The process isn't that difficult, but if you let your mind wander while working (especially riveting), you will make a mistake that will cost you lost time. Stay focused. You can recover from mistakes, but it's much more effective to go at the pace at which you can maintain good focus and avoid mistakes.

2. Keep the rivet gun pressure low to start. It' easier to adjust upward than to make a big mistake because you had too much pressure.

3. Follow the directions. Look at the whole page. Look at each step. Look at each word.

4. This forum is great, but .... Van's instructions are the authority. I was so concerned about the trailing edge and double-flush rivets because of posts on VAF that I was concerned that by following the instructions I was headed for trouble. You can find of lots of over-the-top processes adopted using pro-seal or epoxy or specially made squeezers. In the end, I chose to follow the latest Van's directions using adhesive tape and a back-rivet process, and my trailing edge came out great.

5. I am all in. After two assemblies, I have too much enjoyment and satisfaction to quit.

RV-14A Empennage Kit #140396
=========================================
Old 11-18-2017, 12:52 AM

Default And so the journey begins!

Received the empennage kit Oct 30th and just yesterday was finally able to put some quality time toward it! That honey do list will be the death of me!

Looking forward to putting this RV-14a together over the next several years with the slave labor...... I mean loving help of my children and wife!

Here's to the journey!