-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:26 PM

Enjoying the story and been logging in hoping to see an update, hope you didn't get stuck in the bed at the FBO.

Thanks for documenting your summer trip and sharing the details with us.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:08 AM

Default Great Journey

Always enjoy reading these posts. Sounds like I need to avoid Dodge City. How can people be so cold and not even attempt to enjoy life? Have fun, keep writing and fly safe in your journey.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:34 AM

Not to steal from the thread (enjoying the pics and trip) - but I had a totally different experience at Dodge City last month. Lost my electrics and landed there enroute to KAEJ, the line guy was great, the owner of the FBO and the mechanics were super friendly (they've built several RVs, and Mr Crotts has a flying Rocket); they helped me with some parts from their parts bin and put the -10 in a hangar for over a week while I drove the rest of the way to CO.
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
1948 Cessna 170 N3949V
Old 09-12-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyolson View Post
Always enjoy reading these posts. Sounds like I need to avoid Dodge City. How can people be so cold and not even attempt to enjoy life? Have fun, keep writing and fly safe in your journey.
You should read all the posts, there is a theme.

RV-7
Old 09-14-2017, 12:55 PM

"I beheld the wide sweep of granite near America?s fallen warriors buried there, and I felt within me the quickening surge of God?s presence with a message to go---to go deeper and deeper into the heart of a nation that was itself being laid to rest."

"t was the campus of Rogers State University, once the site of the Oklahoma Military Academy---the ?West Point of the Southwest.? With that discovery, the day of exploration took a sudden turn, and I could feel the culmination of every war once fought building up around me on top of a hill.

Another war was coming, but I was in good company. So I stayed there for some time."

The apocalyptic references to a nation being laid to rest and a coming war, which are sprinkled throughout this narrative, are begging for elaboration. What message does the author have for the reader?
RV-14A Empennage Kit #140396
=========================================
Old 09-14-2017, 10:15 PM

I find it fascinating that Scott lands at some airport and the staff are cold and standoffish -- completely unwelcoming -- followed by a short flight to another field where the people are awesome. It's not like we're flying 1000 miles and are seeing a radically different part of the US. I'd love a list of such accommodating airports, and would frequent them (and buy their gas, at whatever price) on my (anticipated, future) XC travels. Surprising the difference in reception.

Keep 'em flying, Scott!

Last edited by wjb : 09-14-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:09 PM

Loving the photos but I have to ask, when's the band getting back together?
Old 09-19-2017, 12:10 PM

If anyone cares:

QUOTE: "When I got back to the airport, Eric was filling up a Commander. He told me that the aircraft was originally designed to fly the President of the United States on short hops around the country. I did not know if that were true or not, but it made for interesting conversation."

If I recall from memory, it was Eisenhower's short haul aircraft. The design team were some of the Engineers who worked on the Douglas A-20 Havoc. Some of the wing and fuselage resemble the A-20. For a safety demonstration they removed a prop, stowed it inside, and flew an entire test flight on one engine. I think the actual plane is in Dayton at the Air Force Museum.

QUOTE: "Carter encouraged me to climb up onto the Avenger for a close look at the interior. I was most impressed with the sheer bulk and size of the fighter, especially of its engine in propeller. When we got back to the FBO, Carter handed me a set of keys. He said there was a cop car parked in back that I could use as long as I wanted."

I believe that's a TBM Avenger. It is more of a torpedo bomber than a fighter. Most had a 3 man crew. It has a powered turret on the back dorsal, and a tunnel gunner who lay on his belly and fires from under the empennage.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:46 PM

It's very sad to see that beautiful house that Larry Knoll built and know that he isn't around to enjoy it. As one who has built things all my life - two houses and an airplane for starters - it's starting to dawn on me at age 70 that it's all transient. Slow learner, I guess...
Old 09-26-2017, 11:24 AM

I have to say that reading the latest postings from Scott after my wife and I have put our son to bed is one of the highlights of my day. When things are calm and quiet at the end of the day without all of the background noise will make just about anyone sit back and search their soul a time or two.

James