Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2016, 08:18 PM

Thanks again Mike for the work you put into this training manual.
Flying N376E
Old 01-20-2016, 11:57 AM

Default My Pleasure

I hope that it contributes a bit to the corporate knowledge (or at least provides an easy to access reference) and that some folks in the community can benefit from the information. I enjoy working on it...keeps me "RVating" when I'm on a lay-over or unable to fly the RV-4 (the best mental-floss ever)!

Cheers,

Vac

P.S. My flight test department is a bit limited, so the primary focus has been the 4-7 since I am only able to validate maneuvers/data in those types. The -3B was a bit of a logical extrapolation backward at least in terms of basics, with the same thinking applied to the -9. The -12 is a different beast, and the -9/-10 and now -14 have proprietary airfoils so it's not as easy to crunch through some of the math required. The bottom line is that these "4th generation" airplanes are simply outside of my area of expertise.

I will continue to work on this project, and hope at some point in the future to include more types, but that will take more collaboration. I also hope that we can "evolve" the information and make it more accessible via the web/app: think something more similar to AOPA web-based training resources, "webinars," etc. The astute reader will note these are two, separate tactical problems. In a perfect world, we could put together a "training shop" of subject matter experts with IT support--perhaps under the auspices of a type club?

The purpose here isn't to start discussion about the relative merits of a type club, and I don't mean to engender any discussion in that regard...I'm simply offering some food for thought! I've gotten some outstanding support from folks in the community, however, I'm currently limited to a one-man basic typing/PowerPoint ranger skill-set. One of the original objectives of this project was to simply demonstrate what is in the art of the doable, and I believe that objective has been met; but I'm at the limit of my "single man" resources.

I could very much use the support of someone that is familiar with web/app design or development of web/app-based training systems that may be willing to collaborate on a project like this. Also, any instructors with experience in any RV, but particularly in the "4th gen" airframes (-9/-10/-14) or LSA (-12) who would like to collaborate are always welcome! Perhaps with a group of folks, we could move this project along and help out a larger portion of our great community...

Please keep the critiques and discussion coming, and fly safe!
Old 01-20-2016, 04:53 PM

Thank you for taking time to do this. Really nice effort!
Cheers,
Dave
Roseville, Ca
Old 01-26-2016, 12:16 PM

Outstanding work, Mike! Do you have a pdf version?
Old 01-27-2016, 05:54 AM

Default Send e-mail

Cart,

Edited: received your e-mail, PDF sent your way!

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 01-27-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:16 PM

Default Really Terrific Work!

I just wanted to add a note of thanks to you for this incredibly insightful, well written, and comprehensive work! It's a tremendous gift to the RV community and a valuable resource.

Dave Hirschman
RV-3B
Old 05-21-2016, 03:38 PM

Default Version 3.1 Now Available

Version 3.1 of the transition training materials is now available at this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8E...ew?usp=sharing

Minor update only. Added example VN diagram (maneuvering envelope) and associated discussion to aerodynamic briefing in Part 2 and maneuvering section of Part 3.

As always, inputs and critique are welcome and if you would like a copy in either Word or PDF format, just drop a line.

Fly safe!

Vac
Old 05-21-2016, 03:56 PM

Default amazing

408 pages and Mike lets you read it for free...
One of the best resources I have seen for RV pilots. A huge gift to our community and probably countless hours in development.
Thank you Mike

exemption option waived. Donation appropriate.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:30 AM

Default New Airman Certification Standards

RV'ers,

Effective 15 Jun 2016, the FAA has published new airman certification standards to replace the Practical Test Standards(PTS). These new standards add task-specific knowledge and risk management elements to each PTS area of operation/task. Thus far, the new standards have been published for the private license and instrument rating.

The objective standards of behavior (i.e., task standards) in the transition training program are based on the private, instrument and commercial PTS (as appropriate), so I'll have to go through the new standards and revise any applicable sections of the transition training document. I'll work on this as time permits and provide a revised draft when able; but in the meantime I just wanted folks to be aware of the change.

Please note my intention isn't to start a discussion regarding the new standards, merely to point out that I've got some homework to do and if any instructors are using the transition standards to be aware of the change.

Fly safe!

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 06-18-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:04 AM

Default Vac's syllabus endorsement

Just completed a dual check-out in my newly acquired RV-4 with Vac over the weekend using this syllabus as our reference. I would thoroughly recommend this document, which Vac must have spent years perfecting, as the gold standard for those aspiring to fly an RV, as well as an invaluable reference source for experienced RV drivers.

Bruce Macdonald.

Airbus test pilot, formerly airline pilot and F-16 test pilot, and now an RV-4 owner/pilot with that Vans RV grin from ear to ear!