Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDale View Post
PJ 2016 was a great "weather" learning experience my lovely Co-pilot and I! We flew from our farm in West Texas 300 miles to Sherman. The first half of that leg was MVFR but lifting all the way. Stopped for some gas in Sherman, Tx and checked the weather again for PJ and central and North Arkansas but clouds just wasn't lifting over those mountains between us an PJ very fast! We still flip flopped from on top of clouds to beneath the clouds most the wa and diverted a little north to follow the Arkansas River east for the last twenty miles before landing at PJ amidst a swarm of RV's at about 11:30 am!....We have been flying with our new ADSB weather for 18 months now
This is such a great fly in and Bill and Co does so much work to put it on! It has done so much for Nancy and I to meet new friends with airplanes and put names and faces with people I have been talking to for years on this site! And by the way, the Facebook Page was a great idea! Now we can get

BTW, if anyone ever tells you, "that baggage compartment sure is small", don't let it rattle you! This is 98 lbs of stuff we carried to PJ in our 7 including camping equipment all packed under the Tonneau cover! And yes, that guitar came out of there too!

And yes he can also play that guitar pretty well too, Mya and I really enjoyed the live music!
Old 10-17-2016, 03:13 PM

Default departure photos

Enjoy some photos from sunday morning that stood out

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dm5038...57675340827685

Old 10-17-2016, 07:48 PM

Default AWESOME !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Valovich View Post
Enjoy some photos from sunday morning that stood out

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dm5038...57675340827685

Dan, these are just awesome. It's a shame the low ceilings killed the Petit Jean Point Photo Run picture sessions. Next year for sure. Thanks for all your effort on these....nothing but net! It looks like you got pictures of almost everyone that made it in!

You have a real eye for framing planes and pilots!

Bill

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 5/26/21

Last edited by BillSchlatterer : 10-17-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:27 PM

The Petit Jean Fly-In really is a Gathering, a mixture of like minded people from across the US (ahem...and possibly the UK) with the same interests sharing stories and experiences around food, airplanes, campfires and hiking trails.

Being my second trip to Petit Jean I recognized a lot of faces and hope I was a little better with names, I also met a lot of new RV'ers. It was my second oldest daughter Mya's first trip to PJ, our second daddy daughter date in the airplane. She does get a little bored flying but was really looking forward to the dinners, especially the dessert table. She took a picture of every dessert on the table and txt'd them to the Homefront, she settled on the chocolate cake and wasn't disappointed!

But what really made her night (if not the whole weekend) was being the big winner at Tail # Bingo with some "special" help from Vic and Carol Syracuse, Thank You!

On Saturday a.m. we hiked the Bear Cave Trailhead, shorter distance but lots of detours that require hands and feet to get around!

Even Mya made it up this crag without help!

I'm assuming this is "Bear Cave," minus the Bears......

There are some sections of rocks with footholds/steps carved into them so you can climb/shimmy up. I'm really not a fan of heights, I wish my daughters shared my fear but I managed to follow her up. We are on top of a rock and you can see Mather Lodge in the background, I was at least 10' foot from the edge and it was more than close enough for me.

I believe this is a view of those same rocks safely on the ground from Mather Lodge, you'll have to zoom in but the rocks are just about in the center with the corner of Mather Lodge on the right.

Climbing down on the backside of the rocks with the foothold/steps.

Last edited by crabandy : 10-17-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:46 PM

On the ground at RUE Sat around lunchtime to retrieve some airplanes, we got to watch these 2 do a formation takeoff while pumping gas.

Mya snapped a decent pic on long final into MPJ.

We hiked the Cedar Falls Trail that afternoon, it's hard to take in the size of it all with a camera. Mya cooling off.

Two pics trying to capture the size of the bowl Cedar falls is in, same pic one not zoomed in.

I thought I wore her out when she caught a nap on the way back to the campsite....

Shortly after arriving she was back trying to win more prizes!

We spent the night eating smores' and chatting around the campfire and listening to some soft guitar picking. Even with the full moon we caught a bright streaming shooting star while laying on the runway threshold, perfect end to a Great flyin.

Thanks to everyone that made it happen!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

This was an absolutely wonderful flying, one of the best that we have been to in many years. Very genuine people, company, and food! Can't wait to go back!

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES/RW
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" "Diagnostics" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" monthly column
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft" & "Are your Nuts Tight?"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 10-18-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
This was an absolutely wonderful flying, one of the best that we have been to in many years. Very genuine people, company, and food! Can't wait to go back!

Vic
Vic, great to me you and your wife! Enjoyed talking with you both!

I made the change to my wing you suggested and it helped. Still having some tweaking to do but I think I'm going in the right direction. Thanks!

-Dan
Old 10-18-2016, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweyant View Post
Vic, great to me you and your wife! Enjoyed talking with you both!

I made the change to my wing you suggested and it helped. Still having some tweaking to do but I think I'm going in the right direction. Thanks!

-Dan

Wonderful, Dan. Nice to meet you, too.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES/RW
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" "Diagnostics" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" monthly column
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft" & "Are your Nuts Tight?"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 10-18-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy View Post
The Petit Jean Fly-In really is a Gathering, a mixture of like minded people from across the US (ahem...and possibly the UK) with the same interests sharing stories and experiences around food, airplanes, campfires and hiking trails.

Being my second trip to Petit Jean I recognized a lot of faces and hope I was a little better with names, I also met a lot of new RV'ers. It was my second oldest daughter Mya's first trip to PJ, our second daddy daughter date in the airplane. She does get a little bored flying but was really looking forward to the dinners, especially the dessert table. She took a picture of every dessert on the table and txt'd them to the Homefront, she settled on the chocolate cake and wasn't disappointed!

But what really made her night (if not the whole weekend) was being the big winner at Tail # Bingo with some "special" help from Vic and Carol Syracuse, Thank You!

On Saturday a.m. we hiked the Bear Cave Trailhead, shorter distance but lots of detours that require hands and feet to get around!

Even Mya made it up this crag without help!

I'm assuming this is "Bear Cave," minus the Bears......

There are some sections of rocks with footholds/steps carved into them so you can climb/shimmy up. I'm really not a fan of heights, I wish my daughters shared my fear but I managed to follow her up. We are on top of a rock and you can see Mather Lodge in the background, I was at least 10' foot from the edge and it was more than close enough for me.

I believe this is a view of those same rocks safely on the ground from Mather Lodge, you'll have to zoom in but the rocks are just about in the center with the corner of Mather Lodge on the right.

Climbing down on the backside of the rocks with the foothold/steps.

Sometimes folks ask, "Why would the PJ Crew go to all this work ....??" Now the best answer is to point them to this post! Andy, you and Mya are one of the best examples of why we do what we do! Your one post made it all worthwhile.

Thanks from all of us.... this is the payback that makes it worth all the trouble!

EAA 165 North Little Rock, EAA Hot Springs, EAA Conway, EAA Searcy, and all the Bulldogs :--)

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 5/26/21
Old 10-19-2016, 02:55 PM

Default PJean2016

Hello everyone,
Living in NW Arkansas and in the market for my first RV (-8), my wife and I were unable to fly in to PJ this past weekend as we only had a few hours early Sat to attend and the wx wasn't cooperating. We elected to hop on the motorcycle and attend for the short time we had. Wanted to say it was a genuine pleasure meeting the few people we did and what a great experience for our first RV fly in.
Hope to meet up again at some point and hopefully with an RV. My thanks to AirBoss Bob for sequencing us to the gathering from the North end of the field. Thanks everyone..

Rogers, AR.