-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:39 PM

As I have a little time waiting on the weather at Petit Jean this evening, how about a shop update. We have Power! Wow, what a difference to be able to put away the long extension cord from the house. After paint and being able to terminate all of the branch circuits I hooked up the service entry from the pole. I'm happy to report that I released no blue smoke.

Our first night with power was neat to see the outside lights alive.

Oh, boy, another full weekend to hang and wire the 16 interior LED light fixtures. My fingers still hurt.

But there was light!! All indications so far are that my engineering was just about right. It is a little less light than the last shop but still plenty. We've been running only half of them most of the time so far .

Look, we have HVAC guy (no names to protect the not so innocent.) This was the beginning of a three week journey of chaos that no amount of documentation or engineering could have predicted with this character. I won't go into the details. I just need A/C. He loved my lift.

The smallest 1.5ton condensing unit I've ever seen. We think it is going to be perfect.

But, wait, where is the rest of the ductwork?!!! (grrrr)

HVAC guy screws the pooch and almost blows up the CU and it is my job to find and fix his boo-boo. A little personal education after work one afternoon and the CU no longer runs all the time, even when not called for. Geezzz!

Man, I thought we were done digging trenches? Not so fast Jack. We had stubbed in some conduit in the foundation and wall for some network cable to the house "some day". Well, today was "some day". There is nothing like having a hard line.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 10-14-2016, 07:53 PM

This whole project taught me a new skill. I can take a 2.5" down to a 3/4" piece of PVC and turn it into a wet noodle to make it any shape I want. This is conduit for CAT-6.

"Ok, Tanya, cover it back up! Don't hit the propane line."

100' in one weekend takes two days with the tractor. The results are to be expected.

Enough said.

The poor HVAC guy was really challenged by the fresh air damper concept. It took him multiple tries and almost got it right in the end. He just missed the little detail that it is in the wrong wall! Moving on.

I got the entry door casing trimmed out!

"Hey dad, I know you like sitting out on the new porch, but you seem to have handed me one that was almost empty. How about another try with a cold one?"

TC found me a nice little geek cabinet on Craig's List that will work just fine. A 55" TV is not too big for this space. It will probably spend most of it's time displaying work infrastructure telemetry. (my ball and chain)

Ahh, there is the rest of the duct work! Boy, every detail is a battle.

Got my 3-phase panel stuff wired up. There will be an idler sitting on the floor hooked up to those wires.
VAF Advertiser
Old 10-14-2016, 08:00 PM

This is my version of thumbing my nose at proper order and design.

We finally have completed HVAC! It only took three weeks.

Also, we have the whole place wired for sound. I placed the dedicated sub woofer the other day. There have already been a couple of Sunday mornings with the volume "turned to 11" where a wise person might think twice before coming through the entry door for fear of what moves they might find .

The next steps are: The epoxy floor should start going down the middle of this week and be ready for action by the weekend. We're working on getting on the schedule for the blown in insulation in the attic. After those two things, it is time to start moving in machinery, tool boxes, building benches and storage, plumbing compressed air, working on rainwater collection and the gray water drain.

Moving on!
VAF Advertiser
Old 10-14-2016, 08:19 PM

Looking nice. HVAC guys in Texas must breed from the Mississippi gene pool?
RV-10 N7631T 820hr Sold
RV-8 700+hr
SERFI AWARDS

http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 10-15-2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
This is my version of thumbing my nose at proper order and design.

You're a wildman, Scott. A veritable wildman
O-360 A1A, Sensenich FP prop

Those who think any system is foolproof greatly underestimate the ingenuity of fools
Old 10-15-2016, 02:42 PM

Scott,

Would you please post model number, specs and spacing requirements for the LED's? I'm currently building a 46' x 35' x 11' hangar and those lights might be just the ticket if they pass code.

Nice shop!

Tony
Old 10-17-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Spicer View Post
Scott,

Would you please post model number, specs and spacing requirements for the LED's? I'm currently building a 46' x 35' x 11' hangar and those lights might be just the ticket if they pass code.

Nice shop!

Tony
The lights are ZL1N-L48-7000LM-F-MV-40K-80-WH Obviously I don't have any long term experience with them.

One free place to start tinkering with metrics is: http://www.visual-3d.com/tools/interior/ In my space with that model, I'm around 80 fc Illuminance.
VAF Advertiser
Old 10-18-2016, 09:37 AM

Default PM

P Message sent
Old 10-24-2016, 09:51 AM

Default Got floor

The epoxy floor is done. We contracted this out as the cost to do it ourselves wasn't enough of a savings. The product is from Arizona Polymer Flooring. The floor was diamond ground, primed, 100% solids base coat, then topped with a Polyurethane top coat. We'll see how it stands up as I'm going to try my best not to baby it. We've had good results with epoxy floors in the last two shops. It took three days to complete, then we had to stay off of it for two days.

I spent the weekend in the garage working on the compressed air plumbing. It was evident that a bigger shop means more pipe. I actually removed and brought all of the copper pipe from the last shop. I bought some more "Home Depot stock" on Saturday...

We had lunch with some good friends that have been taking some strategic pictures along the way. After some good BBQ, they hauled out these quick prints. "Remember how long ago that was?" It truly feels like an eternity since we began foundation prep.

But we're not done yet. This story doesn't end until all equipment is in place, tools are unpacked and we're back to RV building. The one thing that we're really looking forward to is being able to finally unpack from our move a year ago. We have shop stuff scattered all over the garage, in the house, and the hangar in boxes labeled "shop". It is maddening to try to find anything.

So, next steps. It will probably take me most of the week to get all of the compressed air plumbing up. Hopefully we can work on moving the air compressor from the garage to the shop porch where it is going to live next weekend. I think Tanya is going to paint the HVAC duct this week. Hopefully we'll get blown in attic insulation this week. We need to work out a small "baseboard" transition around the the bottom of the walls where the sheet rock meets the concrete curb. Then we'll move on to building work benches and storage cabinets...
VAF Advertiser
Old 10-24-2016, 10:15 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Scott------any particular reason why didn't you install the air line inside the walls?

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."