What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV's at Reno

Yep, we can't let Axel get away without a little photo evidence posted! ;)

Here are a couple of his R.O.Y. pics:

sUFbRWafE1OHSRhhWRabXsxXsffkaqcEK15qATuzbOKZTGoIxVEvH8AgyRcolp9D0eL-XApGq80cHm-65gscR0qic_MhjUsE1POLsizu4-ycVAN7lUyDbuqbNWhfMAWJcFI_9p34KOOsiE4qcAvr-A6E7ZGh0WLVLg1wFjurrHnhkRWeypfvLbpASuzf0YDK7TCKRavyDraSGZbNWwH0OUzqTxx5r1dCXTFMhsA3yonnU9pZV0w61Q1R3_80gJM8fYBKd_mwoHJrpMkChx17jG0O1-Disy8jYberJtEExiKS6H37I2PhctddvGYtX_oFrBR53ANOxFZgeUfZF6rG94BcChRW33z8mACOyoruLuX3bvwAz045BTTk4RUmh78znrZbFBd05MUtAB7hHbLy6_uOMn6_Bl1K9zwiCezCIesMxXnM9zWoUdb-lHoWuPyhyLEmdCqpqkqU9YfE3NK2jSBJVwYDgKpd85nQVyIZHjgVq9pXXC9kKS9g49hNcCXDVJRrFCLt4trgphwtY9fGu9snU8QpnG6xRZlJqQAmQsOA-urCwJiDEJEnbOshEWApdbKKrlo1M_QPgNnCN81cBMfgD5eM_J-59mYDgzm8TX5MVuSp=w600-no

CUJjHsmMSnaC4zZSiWKLv_weUSgfRlU0MR8vrzzyZaMCTzlFBAkoHYlZvKiVvkdeWe7q2G-wJbus_wPPBYzs3iQgS0Yu57cDYSJSTizwx1ftB2U8vS3iNdYZKFZak-3UqVrqIWztlgBq4mrWCn8la4gY27pkaj7yIpeO0l3yAIT6QH5nBIwUp6EvQnfEZvJd7UiUc_PXBOMfFWzqCRgZmfrfmbNbvsmshgiuyRY06gBBIurS6puv4GcEFjLiDISoKJVh7hkcO3agi0ngDaZC2ti8LPJLtTkHC029oGCL0h9wV6LKfYA3TU0tTgbYJMvoO-QEyTdtos7w4FT7DH4S02X-K4GSsVgSawxPV6me8C0dekJgO5P-8lSibRKFOlsprDg1rLA0Ijr4c8Sw8ijjps1zNZygMbIqPiXQjbZ0mQzm0XCk2cz9QBd4f0OfoCoFJ9aey4Cdug7oQs4Exo-3-zZTb7UwJ63JMz_n8sApkNjOwuY6UkC8EnNsawL9Tolqdr3WcdE2AUnjcu6Md3eZG4CICv7QxORlM82xEIkLccg0gxo-URz--hBPM6uzudnUzU63UDELqXnJG2moZKes9OazK8nZu72eYgaIJfnFGVsKllxP=w600-no

It was fun, and very gratifying, to watch the boys in metal race this year. They all did a great job, and provided some great racing action for the crowds! The first Sport Medallion start was one of the best most of us have ever seen. Awesome line abreast formation down the chute. Wish I had a still shot, but at one point the morning sun glinted off each canopy in sequence, just like the strobes in a Runway Sequenced Flashing Light...very cool! Here's a FB video of the start from the pace plane that day: https://www.facebook.com/SportClassAirRacing/videos/1103867866356739/

The Sport Medallion Final was one of the more entertaining races of the week as well, with two 4-ships and one 2-ship group chasing Brett's Rocket around the course for 8 laps of fun! FB Video clip of part of the first lap here: https://www.facebook.com/129238580527876/videos/1058753930909665/

Van's Aircraft even had a booth at the Races this year! It was a good year for the Metal Mafia...well done boys!

Cheers,
Bob

The only thing more awkward than seeing this picture posted was sleeping with the Tiara that night :D

It was so cool to meet you, Axel & Bob! If you guys ever need help on a pit crew, let us know. Ben and I are longtime race fans and we'd love to get more involved.

Maybe?

Perhaps this would make for a good article or set of articles. I think there are a lot of RV-8 and RV-4 as well as other RV drivers that would benefit from some good informative wright-ups on how to speed up their planes. This would make for a lot of filler, sell a lot of copy and make many RV types salivate.
Just thinking out load here, as I am not in the book or periodical business.
Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888

Perhaps this would make for a good article or set of articles. I think there are a lot of RV-8 and RV-4 as well as other RV drivers that would benefit from some good informative wright-ups on how to speed up their planes. This would make for a lot of filler, sell a lot of copy and make many RV types salivate.
Just thinking out load here, as I am not in the book or periodical business.
Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888

Well Kitplanes DID have FOUR folks there this year......;)

Temporary thread?

I suggest that this thread be moved from the Temporary/soon to be deleted section. I'm surprised it hasn't been moved already.

Last edited:
Here is a shot of one of the Sport Medallion starts, as the pace plane is rolling out in the chute and calling the racers to move forward into line abreast. Tim O'Brien used this shot as his Sport Class Cover in his compilation of photos for all the Reno Race classes that he posted on fb! That says something about the popularity of RV racing at Reno! The fellas put on a great racing show all week!

BC1akXEcssD2DgeWS6CeFH0NfbyS3HNEZnGN-L1kUYxqtfjCTCr71478aD9omBJlAU_d3VjCt6FobdiyGR4MB02OLwOndGiZ-m3eDBjJ1epsaZjvboRMsBpmWn-sJKeJsFDr1zIkcDsDd3Au-K9CI_2kOAi2ZUM48W74XoUcsHH2GsSe5pYd8QZsUPtQrVezPlBeNrKfdZkk-B2L4Sxej1dPvqBAFgrB6uRZewpHB3dYhhuomzYaN1YpflRZyMqIw9xwEEkObrX2d4_VlT74owPw5AK-R8graxHlO1kT-EW6HfpwjnbnWCItQesmqVggNlvgGj24TNyAQphKDRgShyTEmOuBQIy2bIS29jcTq8oSsIgLVHiiE9LRWTerM1jfwqEZ9OGrGS48nkOJzZ9cAU2oK1QUYU1QfcZjz64-MutkHBqzrqG2ndb3VnZ-bZMw7b2xDG3C7dYGqWPF3TsziZTQLzsMAoYTAa6oEkIZdCYbFcZU67wuy_NA1N5muktdfPLPQT24oqrT5F_CnUqt9sBdlUu_ZNAuU9C7QlbnIGqTpLLq_y91gvVUGGg7ZPqvqHRVkm4-sFLP_dM7A1NnHIz6_Ih8kPhOUqX8dTVg2PLozjyQ=w800-h531-no

Photo Credit Tim O'Brien.

Cheers,
Bob

That's a ton of airplanes. Are RVs saving Reno?

I think it is fair to say that the Sport Class is a major force at the Reno Air Races (Lancairs/Glasairs/Thunder Mustangs/RVs). While the Unlimiteds are still fun to watch, from this spectator's point of view they need more competition, and competition in that class takes verrrry deep pockets.

more than just Reno???

I came from a small track stock car experience in my teens....
there was NO doubt the impact a few dozen teams made to the local economy, all booking hotels, buying parts, fuel, & the fans who travelled etc. etc.

The bigger deal!?....could the Sport Class run places BESIDES Reno?
of course!.....they don't need the huge course and massive investment in bleachers and security etc. etc.

OMG! shades of 1920!...there could be nationwide air races! :)

Races

I came from a small track stock car experience in my teens....
there was NO doubt the impact a few dozen teams made to the local economy, all booking hotels, buying parts, fuel, & the fans who travelled etc. etc.

The bigger deal!?....could the Sport Class run places BESIDES Reno?
of course!.....they don't need the huge course and massive investment in bleachers and security etc. etc.

OMG! shades of 1920!...there could be nationwide air races! :)

No need to back to the 20's to find lots of races. Unlimiteds have run at Cape May NJ, So Florida, Texas, San Diego, Lancaster, and Boulder City. MANY races for F1, biplanes and sometimes T6's at many other locations.
F1's raced at Reading PA, White Plains NY, Dansville, Niagara Falls and Fulton NY just to name a few in late 40's early 50's.

Back