- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:20 PM

Default Aft Bulkheads

Most of the aft bulkheads don't warrant a photo, they are so simple. The next interesting one is 711. Here I am using my new favourite deburring tool. It starts out like the new one laying on top of the part. I picked it up at a store in Anchorage. No idea what its called but its made by 3m. I figured it might help get into those pesky relief notches. Well it did, but it really came into its own once all the bristles came off! Just a plastic disc with stubs around the edge, but it really works

IMG_0586 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

This is how I positioned the 711C bars for drilling.

IMG_0592 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Here's a bunch of bulkhead components laid out for priming.
IMG_0596 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Last edited by Z-EDD : 10-30-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Fixed Photo Links
Old 09-15-2016, 12:49 PM

Default Drilling the aft Fuse

I still had not started the F-705, but all of the aft bulkheads were done and my Buddy Kevin was in town for a couple of days. Kev lives in Dubai and is a serious wannabe builder. He also started his aviation career turning spanners in a hangar, so I knew he'd be super keen to help assemble the aft fuse.

IMG_0608 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0609 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Getting the 779 skin in place is a real bear. The bend of the skin is some of the problem, but here you can also see how the weld in the tail spring mount interferes with the mouse hole. I had to relieve that hole quite a bit to get the whole contraption to fit nicely.

Also note the holes drilled and countersunk for the keeper rivets through the WD-409. These are in completely the wrong place! The plans reference the dimension as 1 inch below a certain rivet. I mistakenly assumed this rivet must be the lowest one through F-712. Actually, the reference rivet is on the VS rear spar!!!
Ok, thats a dumb mistake by me, but how dumb for the plans to reference a part that will only be attached here in several years time?? How are you supposed to measure this?? Anyway, so far as I can tell, these rivets will be fine and will not be too close to the bolts, but how dumb!

Here's another shot of WD-409 to show how the weld on mine interferes with the cutout in F-712.
IMG_0599 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
When I originally unpacked the tail spring mount I was surprised to find it was not powder coated and had already started to rust. I immediately cleaned and primed it, but when I got it down for drilling I could see the rust coming through the primer already. Better get this powder coatedIMG_0622 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Last edited by Z-EDD : 10-30-2017 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Fix photo links
Old 09-15-2016, 01:01 PM

Default Drilling the aft fuse

Leveling was easy at the aft end

IMG_0613 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Took a little longer to set up at the front. The tape on the ruler was necessary because there was light reflecting off of it at my viewing angle!

IMG_0614 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

I adjusted the 779 skin for a better fit. think it helped a bit.

IMG_0612 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

While the skin was off I drilled the stringer to the side skins so that I could cleco along here.
IMG_0611 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Now that fits much better.IMG_0618 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Last edited by Z-EDD : 10-30-2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Fix photo links
Old 09-15-2016, 01:19 PM

Default Drilling continued

This was a bit of a conundrum. What we have here is matched holes on the skin and bulkhead tab, but no hole in the stringer, which sits in between! If I just drilled this, any slight misalignment of that tab would result in an oval hole. I think this is a mistake by vans, one of those cases where the part really should not be pre-punched. I dealt with it by drilling all the other holes through the skin and stringer. Then I removed the skins from the bulkheads with stringers still clecoed to the skin, and drill the remaining holes. when they were back in place I could check for proper alignment and reamed the tabs to final size.
IMG_0610 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Drilling finally complete.

IMG_0617 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

The inevitable disassembly. IMG_0619 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0620 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Last edited by Z-EDD : 10-30-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Fix Photo links
Old 09-15-2016, 10:34 PM

Lookin' good, Ed!! It's really starting to take form.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 09-18-2016, 05:52 AM

Thanks Doug. I'm actually way further on than that, more updates to come!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:56 AM

Default Riveting the tail cone.

While I was getting on with all the prep work I sent the Tail spring mount off for powder coating. Came back looking nice!

IMG_0711 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Here is how I set up for riveting the tail cone. F-712 is easy squeazy, just a couple to be shot and bucked on the lower forward flange.

IMG_0712 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

F-711 is another story. The tail spring mount has to go in now, no way it can be inserted after riveting. But it really hampers access to those lower rivets. Ignore the odd sized bolts, they are just holding things in place. Bolts had to be removed for bucking access anyway.

IMG_0713 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Here you can see I gave up on the lower two holes and used pop rivets. The first tries bent over and mangled the dimples on both sides. Drilled out to 7/64 and cleaned up for MK-319s, no one will ever know. If I get some expert bucking help I could still go up to an oops rivet here but I'll probably leave well enough alone.

IMG_0715 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

The forward flange was easier. not my best riveting but it will do.

Now here's a funny story! So I'm in bed with my wife one evening, and what better to do these days than update my build log and look through some photos. This was a good couple of months after the fact, and the tailcone is now fully riveted together as I took a look at the photo below. Hang on, what are those empty holes along the bottom of the bulkhead? should there be rivets in them? Quick check of the pdf plans reveals the obvious answer, of course there should!

It speaks volumes of how my wife is taking this whole process in her stride, as she barely looked up from her book when I muttered an expletive, shot out of bed, downstairs, and into the garage to take a look. I was still holding onto some vain hope that some magical riveting fairy might have visited and filled those holes since I took the picture. Unfortunately my flashlight revealed exactly what I had seen in the picture.

IMG_0720 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

I can get between the 710 and 711 bulkhead with a rivet gun and offset, but bucking is going to be a real challenge. I'll need skilled help for that. What a dumb mistake, how did I miss those??

Last edited by Z-EDD : 10-30-2017 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Fix photo links
Old 09-18-2016, 08:45 AM

Default Reassembly

Moving on, still blissfully unaware of my blunder, I reassembled the rest of the aft fuselage.
IMG_0723 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
Looks just like it did a few weeks ago....

IMG_0727 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0728 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0738 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0739 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Canoe building time!

Last edited by Z-EDD : 10-30-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:13 AM

Default Riveting the aft Fuse

After a few frustrating days without a riveting partner, my lovely wife gave some of her precious time to start shooting on the aft fuse. I had literally lost sleep wondering how these overlaps would come out. well here we go, this side great.

IMG_0761 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

This side, not so much, bit of a gap right on the corner. Oh well, maybe some better preparation. Too late now.

IMG_0762 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

There's really not much else out there that looks quite as good as riveted RV parts!

IMG_0765 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

At about this point I was so close to finishing this that I succumbed to temptation and attempted to continue riveting the upper stringers solo. It was working fine, but about 10 rivets from the 706 bulkhead, on the left hand side, I lost control of the bucking bar and dented the skin. Sorry, I didn't take photos, it was too distressing! This mistake will stare me in the face every time I enter the left seat. It's not worth it, wait for riveting help!!

Last edited by Z-EDD : 10-30-2017 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Fix photo links
Old 09-29-2016, 10:33 AM

Default Centre section

Moving on with the updates, here is the centre section coming together. The usual rib prep, not much more of that to do really. I did discover this great little tool from Dremel for getting into relief notches. Is called a detail abrasive brush.

IMG_0828 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

I then began assembling the ribs and bulkheads

IMG_0742 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0743 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0744 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

The instructions are a bit strange when it comes to fitting these outboard F-715 ribs. They have you fit and drill these after the rest of this structure is riveted. I could see no good reason for this, so I did them now. Seems to be ok so farIMG_0745 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Last edited by Z-EDD : 10-30-2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: fix photo links