to donate fast.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:58 PM

Wow indeed .......
Dues paid 2020
Old 09-14-2016, 07:40 AM

Default customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Chastain View Post
He then spent over five minutes explaining to me that, because the officer had no way of knowing from which direction I had flown in---either from the U.S. or from Canada---that his treatment of me was not only warranted, but justified since, as he said, ?This is an international airport.? He told me that calling ahead was standard protocol for international airports on the U.S. border and that I should have done so to avoid what took place that morning. Adding to that in defense of Miller, the supervisor told me that the airport didn?t open until 9:00 a.m., and that landing before that time warranted the actions I described.
I live in Michigan (with Canada bordering all around us) and have landed at many of our small International airports with "Customs". I have never heard of the BS that this officer is telling you. The only hours of operation they have listed are the hours of the customs office. NOT the airport. You only need to phone them to set up an appointment if you are flying in from a foreign country. That way an officer can be prepared to run you through customs when you arrive. Otherwise the airport is used like any other GA airport, and we have ZERO contact with customs officers.
If any of what this officer and his supervisor told you was true, then they need to touch base with the FAA and have ALL airport directories updated with this critical information. I am finding more and more that customs and TSA and the FAA are not speaking to each other and are not on the same page.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:35 AM

Default Flyng Across America

Re. Twin Bridges, the St. of Mont. chose a town off the beaten path, more so even back then, as opposed to a larger W. or S.W. Mont. town..to keep the Orphanage quiet. In viewing the photos, some young ladies appear H.S. grad. size or age. Hmm. Were the boys kept separately somewhere else - given co-ed rules, reg's. or state certification? As the parents rarely ever returned, why wasn't there an avenue for adoption, if signing off on papers? Perhaps even a rule abstaining from an employee, staff, from taking a special interest + taking one home. One would think a high % would like to hear or see someday how some of these tuned out in their future adult lives. Unfortunately, more Q's than A's.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick 4003 View Post
One would think a high % would like to hear or see someday how some of these tuned out in their future adult lives.
Here are a couple of those stories:
Memories Of The Orphanage -- Two Men Relive Their Days At A Montana Home And Give New Insight Into A National Debate

Trying to make OSH22...
Old 09-14-2016, 12:38 PM

Default Three weeks of searching and I found it

... that de Saint Exupery quote from Airman's Odyssey that this instantly reminded me of.

"When I entered the little shack at Shafer Field, I was met by the musty pall of ages and ages past, and the cramped height of the ceiling made me feel like a man who, after growing up and living a long happy life, returned to one of his grammar school classrooms and discovered that reality had shrunk the coliseums of his imagination into tiny tombs of dying memory. Instantly, I found myself squeezed into the America of the 1970's:"

?I remember the games of my childhood-the dark and golden park we peopled with gods; the limitless Kingdom we made of this square mile never thoroughly explored, never thoroughly charted. We created a secret civilization where footfalls had meaning and things a savor known in no other world. And when we grow to be men and live under other laws, what remains of that park filled with the shadows of childhood, magical, freezing, burning? What do we learn when we return to it and stroll with a sort of despair? marveling that within a space so small we should have founded a Kingdom that had seemed to us infinite-what do we learn except that in this infinity we shall never again set foot, and that it is into the game and not the park that we have lost the power to enter?? ? Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 50 hours +
65 years running stock DNA
Old 09-14-2016, 02:36 PM

Default I think I saw you down there!

Old 09-14-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
like falling into the arms of an old-flame lover whose beauty had only improved with time, whose passion now burned with my own, as if our having been held apart by a prison of years and geography served only to stoke and swirl the heat of our desire, our sweltering desire to fulfill a long-awaited promise to reunite and express that passion as only true lovers could.
Man, your life must have been a lot more interesting than mine.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
N612EF Builder log (EAA Builder log)
Last article: "Gonna Finish This Sucker" (Kitplanes)
Waiting for the avionics kit (backordered: chip shortage)
Old 09-14-2016, 04:28 PM

I'm thinking Scott might be a English teacher.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Chastain View Post

Mountain Home Air Force Base. Having served there from 1981-1985... USAF veteran to see the base...
Scott, interesting how paths cross, when you were at Mountain Home I was starting out my own USAF career at Fairchild AFB in Spokane, WA. On the back side, I was at Mountain Home working jets, Eagles mind you not Aardvarks, on that exact same ramp from 1998-2005; closed out my 24 years of service with a retirement ceremony the Boar hangar. Good times.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:56 PM

Default Flyng Across America

Buck-wow. Murphy didn't even know his real name until enlisting in the Navy. Married an Orphan, story of bathing infant. A travesty of cruel, sadistic staff techniques: whipping a bed wetter. One would surmise that this would make them so nervous, augmenting the problem, not reducing it. Afraid of the dark? Put the boy into dark closets. Hanging children up on coat racks. Shoes tied to their hands when sleeping. Other examples apply. No staff training or understanding utilized, like behind the Berlin Wall, Czech Rep., or GI POW's. Not an orphanage, but a concentration camp. Mad & sad not common simultaneously by most. Buck to be commended for this link.