- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:38 PM

Default Flyng Across America

Recall only 1 restaurant in Faith, N. side of Main, might even close early. Game & Fish H.Q. out of there often. Close friend used to HQ out of Faith, backseat Cub coyote gunner. 1 x his 12 ga. (barrel pointed down + to L.) ,shell ejected down into the rear stick. Clipped the gear off on the hill,. pilot trying to set her down. Told me," I never told him it was my shell in the back that..." Surprised a Cub landed, funding approved, S.D. G+F there now fly Aviat Husky.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
That was when Bruce told me that it was going to be $40 to keep the plane in the hangar that night. I told Bruce that, no, thanks for the offer, but after buying his boy lunch that afternoon, I wrongly assumed that he was letting me park the Dove in the hangar as a return favor. I told him I was willing to take my chances with the foul weather, but that I could not afford to pay the fee. Bruce understood.
I don't know what galls me more... Asking for the $40 after going to the effort to get the plane in the hangar, or asking for the $40 after you bought his son lunch.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:16 PM

Photo #1 in Buffalo, dude in T shirt, jeans, cap walking. On his L. shoulder is field stone bldg., that being First Northern Bank. Having had a savings & checking acct. there 33 yrs. this wk., V.P,. friend of mine. Dad was Pres. in the early 80's. Photo #4 Occidental Hotel. Goes back to right after 1890 state hood. Still, horsehair couches, chairs, photos. Couples come from afar, wk. ends reserved for their 25th, 40th wedding anniversaries. On Th. eves, still have an open mike for jam session, any music, any musician, anytime. Many outside, arriving too late to get in. Not mentioned if tanks topped in Buffalo from Faith, as cheapest fuel in 250 mi. ($3.90 SS this wk.) Jim, older / retired, ran Buffalo for many yrs. Bruce, Austin newer. Re. the $40 after you're in, I'd a done the same. IMO, seems anytime new ownership, management, etc., always more con changes than pros. @ least Austin doesn't take after his Old Man.For those ever over nighting in the region again, perhaps bring up Sheridan, 35 N., as an option.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:57 AM

The number of small airports in America with "nobody around" is distressing, indeed.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
N612EF Builder log (EAA Builder log)
Last article: "Gonna Finish This Sucker" (Kitplanes)
Waiting for the avionics kit (backordered: chip shortage)
Old 09-12-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettersFromFlyoverCountry View Post
The number of small airports in America with "nobody around" is distressing, indeed.
I was thinking "Lonesome Dove"

RV-7
Old 09-12-2016, 02:47 PM

On another site, I viewed a photo of a pilot who completed an E.A.B. in Twin Bridges. I told him I sold my 1st EAB to a rancher from Twin Bridges, Spring 2011. He then sends me 2-3 pix of it in a hangar, thereby finding it is still there....interesting, as the owner had another place S. of Tuscon. Known by & visited by many, as location of "blue ribbon" trout streams.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:02 PM

I'm sure you've looked up the history of the orphanage by now. But here.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
N612EF Builder log (EAA Builder log)
Last article: "Gonna Finish This Sucker" (Kitplanes)
Waiting for the avionics kit (backordered: chip shortage)
Old 09-13-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Chastain View Post
When I entered the little shack at Shafer Field, I was met by the musty pall of ages and ages past, and the cramped height of the ceiling made me feel like a man who, after growing up and living a long happy life, returned to one of his grammar school classrooms and discovered that reality had shrunk the coliseums of his imagination into tiny tombs of dying memory. Instantly, I found myself squeezed into the America of the 1970's:
Charm and intrigue in the style of William Faulkner's southern gothic. Somewhere
around the above post (#114), I began to expect we might find a body along the way.

I guess a haunted Victorian will do.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
I don't know what galls me more... Asking for the $40 after going to the effort to get the plane in the hangar, or asking for the $40 after you bought his son lunch.
Or asking for $40 after offering to let Scott use the pull put bed for free, instead of making him camp out in a storm.

But I do agree that the price should have been mentioned prior to pulling the plane in the hangar.

I'm always willing to pay to keep my plane in a hangar when I overnight somewhere, and I have always been charged (and gladly paid) $50 for the privilege. One time I couldn't use the hangar I was promised at Glendale AZ, and I had to rush back to the airport when I saw the tables, chairs and umbrellas from the pool area go tumbling by our hotel window in a gust front.

~Marc
Old 09-13-2016, 04:20 PM
been here awhile

Wow..........