-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:42 AM

Default Day 11. Along Pacific Coast to Copalis Beach.

After a good night rest I spent some time at Forks Timber Museum.

Loggers Memorial.

A lot of old machinery around. From steam to diesel power.

I've never seen a log over 8 feet in diameter.

I took off and headed toward shoreline under the cloud deck. The bases were high over the water.

Tracked the shore southbound to Copalis State airport S16.

For several years I was trying to make that Pacific Coast beach. It happened finally.

The little booties from an Alaskan hotel came out handy.

There were a lot of hikers on the beach. Some of them congregated closer to my airplane. There were several dogs. A local gentleman approached and asked for a picture. Sure why not. Then came a young couple then more with kids. Quick cockpit tour and I am out.

A while ago I asked my friends what to sight see along the Pacific coast? Nearly all of them said nothing is there. I didn't tell them what kind of sightseeing platform I had in mind. It is a pretty coast to fly along just make sure you study the chart and don't violate NOAA regulations...

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:13 AM

Vlad - love your write-ups and I'm taking notes!

What kind of camera are you using for those shots?
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Vlad - love your write-ups and I'm taking notes!

What kind of camera are you using for those shots?
Thanks Greg. I still have my 12 years old Nikon D50 and recently bought a point and shoot Canon. None of them have good lenses and it's a challenge to shoot on the move. Invest in a DSLR with good lens if you plan to shoot a lot.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:15 PM

Default Day 11. Tracking Pacific Coastline

Time to get another 10 gallons of gas. Tracking the shoreline to Astoria Regional KAST.

There is a lunch wagon by the airport very convenient for transients. Look at my parking buddy. The Shine of Generations.

There was an area of broken ceilings along the coast. Tons of skylights with super smooth ride. I plugged in Vivaldi radio and thoroughly enjoyed the views.

Look at these tectonics

and caves!

Old 09-04-2016, 08:28 PM

Talking Day 11. Driving the Shore.

They even have an operational beacon.

Look at these beautiful bridges!

I did a quick pit stop at Bendon State S05 then exited Oregon. California met me with clear skies and bouncy ride. I gained some altitude and sidestepped over the water. It was still choppy.

Next stop was picturesque Shelter Cove 0Q5. Thanks Greg Arehart for pointing me to here.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:12 PM

Talking Day 11. Back to USSR with Jae Chang

Jae Chang built and flies an RV10. He claimed he is based at the prettiest airport in California and strongly recommended to visit. And he is good with a short notice and a cancellation if needed. Jae just returned from an Alvord Desert trip and was at home airport Half Moon Bay KHAF with his buddies. A short message goes to him "inbound with ETA in 30 min" who can accept that? Only Jae.

To my big surprise San Francisco airspace is not busy like New York's. I was probably the only GA aircraft over the Bay that evening.

I took a quick turn around Alcatraz and was on constant alert looking for tourist helicopters there were none. Wow. Couldn't say that about Hudson River Corridor.

There was a thin marine layer along the shore and that was a big surprise.

I dove under and was plowing my way today Half Moon Bay. What a coincidence exactly at the same time a Mooney was arriving from a long East Coast Trip and was also 2 minutes out. I made a lazy 360 to kill some time till Mooney lands. They have an interesting tunnel there.

Landed and was greeted by smiling Jae Chang. A conspirator! Now I know why you call Half Moon Bay the prettiest airport in California. It has a constant blanket of fog over it very quiet and peaceful.

We visited a hangar I couldn't believe what I saw. The hangar full of Soviet memorabilia including aircrafts.

We listened to a great story and had a good time.

Late night we went to a nice restaurant for dinner and bull shooting continued past midnight. There was a dispute who will take care of the restaurant bill and female pilot won. See you all tomorrow...

Last edited by Vlad : 09-05-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:58 AM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdearborn View Post
Vlad's travels should be a Reality TV series.
It would be a great series and good for GA. Most would never consider the places
Glad goes.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:27 AM

Talking Day 12. Город Сан Франциско!

San Francisco night was short but relaxing. Jae had a spare bedroom in his condo and I had a good sleep. Took care of my laundry I couldn't afford to discard socks and underwear anymore still have a week to polish CONUS borders.

Jae demonstrated to me an electric assisted folding bike and I took a demo ride. Then on the way to the airport he gave me a quick city excursion. We had a breakfast at a Korean restaurant and drove to Half Moon Bay airport. At the airport I spent couple hours on light maintenance. Removed the cowl, checked and tightened couple spots on the motor, removed and cleaned bottom spark plugs. Since last oil change I flew about 100 hours but I am not replacing neither filter nor oil today. My engine consumes about a quart every 4 -5 hours and I am good with that. The Mooney pilot who landed at the same time last night replaced my oxygen bottle with a full one. All assembled I thanked Jae for his great help and hospitality then left. The marine layer was still there.

I toured San Francisco one more time.

Then headed to check on my efis manufacturer

Airspace near Palo Alto was quite busy and I retreated without going into much details on the grounds. The day already passed 3/4 and I need a place to regroup. That's where another RV10 builder stepped in. Nobody would ever hear his name and location here but you know who you are ...

Last edited by Vlad : 09-05-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:46 PM

Vlad, what an incredible journey and awesome photos! Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us. You've definitely inspired me to spread my wings just a little bit more in the coming years.

Judging from some of the conditions you fly in you would have given a Lindbergh a run for his money. Low ceilings, rain, snow, ice, fog... who needs an instrument rating?

Can't wait for the remaining chapters!
2021 dues paid!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:11 PM

Default Day 12. From 30 Fahrenheit to 40 Celsius.

By the end of Day 12 I finally started thawing. My ground coordinator suggested a place for overnight I couldn't miss. I am heading to KIPL Imperial County, California . Passing Ambassador Paul Rosales territory. Mazes of Airspaces...

A lot of fires on the way but some of them didn't have TFRs yet. Water bombers were shuttling down under in great numbers and approach control didn't know the location of every airplane. I climbed several thousand feet on top of their operations and stayed out of the way.

It looks like Anti Splat Airport.

Quirky reservoirs.

I started my descend over Salton Sea trying to fit between El Centro Naval Facility restricted areas. I was wondering if Imperial County AWOS had a glitch. It reported 1/2 mile visibility, a dust storm and 42 degrees Celsius temperature. Am I in California or in Gobi Desert?

It wasn't a glitch it was really hot. I tied the airplane down, took my toiletries out and checked in a newly renovated motel a few yards from airplane parking.

Cranked air conditioning to maximum and relaxed for half an hour. Later I was shuttled to town, ate at a Mexican restaurant and walked back to the hotel after dark. It was still 40 degrees Fahrenheit but I enjoyed it.

Last edited by Vlad : 09-05-2016 at 05:07 PM.