Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
qdfwdrfhsfhm
Google won't even attempt to translate THAT!

Am loving this trip report, Vlad. What an incredible adventure!
Old 09-01-2016, 08:53 AM

Default Pure Inspiration

....thoroughly enjoying the ride Vlad
Old 09-01-2016, 11:13 AM

Default Reality TV

Vlad's travels should be a Reality TV series.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:30 AM

I have to say Vlad's and others' trip reports have gone a long way to getting my motivation back to building. I started back in 2012 but other things came up, including a medical situation that threatened my medical but it was resolved. I've been getting back into building the past few weeks on the empennage. Fortunately, I already have the wing kit so there'll be no loss in momentum.

Thank you all!

Cheers!
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Old 09-01-2016, 01:46 PM

Default WOW!!!!!

...Thank You my friend!
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 09-02-2016, 04:11 PM

Default Day 9. The Areharts.

Greg Arehart is a Geology Professor with a prominent university. He built his own aircraft RV-9A and made numerous modifications to it. His build was a great inspiration and help to me during 2006-2011. Greg lives and teaches in Reno NV and goes to his log cabin in British Columbia when not in lecture hall. He designed and built the cabin himself I visited him during my Alaska-2014 stint and had a great time. On this round he invited me again. Buzz the cabin he said we come and pick you up. To buzz?!! You said that Greg!

... I landed at Burwash CYDB for gas then explored the vicinities.

Greg's base Atlin CYSQ is an easy 2 hour hop from Burwash with great views along the Alaska Highway. Here I am at Atlin with the sunset.

It's not easy to spot their cabin but I have right coordinates this time.

The place is very remote and there is no telephone service. I guess that's what Professor Arehart wants. To be out of civilization for those several enjoyable weeks.

I found the retreat and Julia waved to me.

By the time I tied my airplane down Greg was entering the airport grounds. We drove via wilderness to his cabin and had a good conversation. He made a lot of improvements to the guest cabinette. Now it has a real bed with very comfortable mattress and unlimited running water.

The Areharts built their cabin on a rock. They are self sufficient running on solar power.

That's what they see every morning.

Local bears are not big fans of Greg's place. Guess why?

The Professor is a trove of local knowledge and an encyclopedia of destinations. He always advises me on the best spots to land and explore.
A little interrogation opened up so many local spots again I will be following Greg's directions nearly all day 10. Thank you Greg and Julia I will be back in 2018.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.

Last edited by Vlad : 09-02-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:11 AM

Default Day 10. Stratovolcano Aerial Tour

Sporty Professor cooked the breakfast and let me go.

I had full gas and was able to talk Greg into taking some of my gear I don't need to conserve baggage space and weight. I can't believe how much I shed.

I was following a VFR route depicted on Canadian charts which brought me to some very picturesque places. Stratovolcano complex Mt. Edziza being one of them.

Eve's Cone erupted 600 years ago.

The stratovolcano is over 9,000 feet high and if you explore it from the air make sure you carry enough energy and power to compensate the drafts. Know where the wind is coming from. Don't get too close to caldera either better use you camera zoom. It could get bumpy even in the morning. But you will be rewarded with captivating sights.

Bob Quinn Lake CBW4 was a rest stop. Years ago I met a helicopter pilot who flew for an oil company and he mentioned this place. Long and wide but very rarely used runway. When I landed and looked at my wheel pants they were all green. A sprouts of very tall but soft plant were growing in the midst of the runway.

I walked around. Pretty place indeed but local mosquitos quickly evicted me from there.

CYXT Terrace, British Columbia will be my next stop. The airport has a restaurant in the terminal and I am already getting hungry.

Last edited by Vlad : 09-03-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:07 AM

Default Day 10. Via Terrace to Oweekeno Nation.

Another 1.8 hours enjoying the stunning beauty of British Columbia.

The first paved runway after 10 unimproved strips. I wonder how it would feel to be back on hard concrete. Terrace CYXT a nice friendly place.

The fueler complained it's getting hot. I told him I can take heat over cold any day he wondered why. Terrace has a commuter service and its little terminal was packed with passengers. A restaurant was busy too. They had a good split pea soup and they accepted Yankee Roubles as well. A place to bookmark. Loaded with calories I am up again.

I have about an hour and a half to enjoy the scenery before it gets blanketed with clouds. There is a pretty spot on the way south. I marked it two years ago but being on ATC leash was unable to visit.

Rivers Inlet peoples live there. There is a path to the village but I didn't go. It was very windy that day and the woods were too thick to walk through without AK47. I took couple of "been there" pictures and quickly evaporated.

Another 1.4 hours to CYBL Campbell River. I am on top of the cloud deck. Somewhere down there is Bella Bella a beautiful island I was planning to stop by. An IFR traffic goes in and out of it every 10 minutes or so but I am not equipped (and able). Jealous a bit I am peeling an egg for a snack.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:43 PM

Talking Day 10. Back to CONUS.

I took a little sightseeing detour by Vancouver waiting for a storm to pass Campbell River CYBL. Wonderful sights but both of my cameras refused to focus. I was too busy to pull the smartphone out...

20 minutes later after storm dissipated I landed at Campbell River.

Parked on the grass sorted out all my calls and flight plan. Still need to kill about 30 minutes to make a 2 hour US Customs requirement. With all that t-storms pop ups I took off Campbell River a bit earlier. I would better hold over Port Angeles KCLM to meet the timeline.

That international leg was not a walk in the park. Honestly it was one of the most work-loaded leg of all 10 days. I had to stick to a route and to a deadline.
I feel deep sympathy for you IFR flyers.

Over Port Angeles I was holding for 10 minutes doing pattern work. After landing taxied to US Customs the officer was polite and efficient in spite of light rain. It took me 8 minutes to clear I didn't even need to deplane. After taking 10 gallons of gas I headed to Forks, Washington S18. There are tons of motels within walking distance.

I secured the airplane and walked to town.

The closest to the airport motel was priced per Alaskan standards but I was too tired to walk farther. Booked a room then walked couple minutes to a pizza place. Got beer and food and was happy. Even watched some TV back in the room. Tomorrow will be a great day of flying Pacific Coast all the way down. Weather looks cooperative.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdearborn View Post
Vlad's travels should be a Reality TV series.
As long as the Kardashian's don't make an appearance.

Pink slip issued: 5/7/12

First flight: 5/28/12, Memorial Day.

Phase I Complete: 8/18/12!