Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Imagine joining ICE with visions of fighting terrorism at the hot spot borders of our great nation...then being sent to an isolated spot on a two lane road to Canada, probably for being a jerk.
Ironic, I'll bet there's some guy working the southern border, burnt out from YEARS of effort trying to stem the tide and feeling like he's making no progress who would give his eye teeth to work off the last few years till retirement, while still making a valuable contribution, in low-threat, small town America. Not to mention I bet that government salary goes a long way in a little town.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:30 PM
been here awhile

Major thread drift........
Old 08-31-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
Hey, we're just discovering bits of America here too. Gotta do something waiting for the next episode.

{edit to add] BTW, Scott says he's got 160 freshman and sophomore students in his classes this year. 160! And he's doing these while paying attention to their educational needs. Amazing.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
N612EF Builder log (EAA Builder log)
Last article: "Gonna Finish This Sucker" (Kitplanes)
Waiting for the avionics kit (backordered: chip shortage)

Last edited by LettersFromFlyoverCountry : 08-31-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
The few times I do watch TV and the commercials come on you never know what the topic will be.

My dad was a HS teacher, I admire any teacher especially in the current environment.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:23 PM

Default Interesting scenario

I think we need to back off the Customs agent a little. We don't know what his marching orders are when it comes to his responsibilities. I haven't looked up the AFD to see what is going on. Was something missed?

Yes the guy could have been nicer for sure. We just don't know what was going on in his life. We all have bad days. That job is not an easy one. I deal with them in my work and they are very dedicated professional trying do a good job under very trying conditions.

Now, we await, "The rest of the story."
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N717AZ Painted and Complete
2021 Gold Lindy Grand Champion Kit Plane
Old 08-31-2016, 04:31 PM

When landing runway 15 you are in Canada for a short time on down wind, base and final. US Customs and Canadian Customs are right across the road on Hwy#89. I'm sure many pilots land there and meet friends to go fishing and hunting in Canada. Great pictures and great thread, thanks for sharing.

Jim Fogarty
RV-9A
Old 08-31-2016, 05:06 PM

BTW, speaking of Scott's observation in the last graph about Polaris.

The company can't find enough workers. They have to fly them in from Mexico and the state/city/company are trying to build housing for them.

Talk about finding America. It's tough trying to run a company in the middle of nowhere. It is an amazing company that they still base operations there.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
Old 09-01-2016, 08:49 AM

What we have here is a failure to communicate. Also, an improper interpretation of the rules from the Border Patrol.

Intrigued by Scott's story, I contacted the Minnesota Division of Aeronautics at MnDOT. They own the airport.
Quote:
Actually, anyone can land at Piney-Pinecreek without permission. That is the definition of an airport that is open to the public. We visit Piney-Pinecreek on a fairly regular basis and Customs and Border Patrol always comes out to greet us. If they don't I walk over and talk with them before doing anything else. Pilots should be sensitive about landing at border airports. For a while the FAA had a temporary flight restriction that required the filing of a flight plan for all flights operating in the vicinity of the border. I just looked for it and couldn't find it, but border security is serious business and Customs and Border Patrol is not the welcome wagon. It is their job to be suspicious of people they encounter.

There is nothing at Piney-Pinecreek except the airport and a border crossing. As a pilot, I wouldn't choose Piney-Pinecreek as a destination because there is no place to get food or aircraft maintenance, there are lots of nice airports in the area: Roseau, Warroad, that are welcoming and would have been a better choice. International Falls is a particularly fun airport to visit. The Einarsons are always welcoming and no airport in Minnesota takes better care of you. The only reason I would choose Piney-Pinecreek would be if it was along my route and I wanted quick access to Customs.

So I would apologize to your friend as I'm sure you did for the less than Minnesota like welcome he received. As for other pilots wanting to visit Piney-Pinecreek Airport: I recommend that they file flight plans and make announcements over the CTAF of their intentions. There are requirements that they stay in the aircraft if clearing customs at Piney-Pinecreek. If they are not clearing customs I recommend they talk with the Customs and Border Patrol agents before doing anything else. I also recommend that they only go there in daylight hours for two reasons. It is less suspicious, and the mosquitos are vicious at night.

Sincerely,

Rick Braunig
MnDOT Office of Aeronautics
Again, BP is incorrect that "the airport doesn't open until 9." The airport is always open to Americans traveling only in the United States. Its the BP office that doesn't open until 9.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit

Last edited by LettersFromFlyoverCountry : 09-01-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Those photos of the Thrush really take me back. Ours were Turbo-Thrushes. Incredible machines. We used them in west Africa to combat a disease that robbed so many of their eyesight. Who knows, perhaps our paths crossed at one point as Ghana was one of the countries where our machines plied their trade.

Thank you for sharing your excellent travelogue, Scott. It gives much pause for contemplation.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:48 PM

I have to admit, I got misty-eyed over that one, Scooter.
Great story, great writing.