camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:42 PM

Roll on Vlad, roll on. I love it!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post

Are those Lockheed 188 Electras?
Certainly is. Not many of them left, most of them are air tankers as is this one. More than half of the remaining dozen or so are based out my home field, CYQF Red Deer. Air Spray is the biggest operator.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here

Last edited by Flying Canuck : 08-23-2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 08-24-2016, 12:52 AM

Vlad. You. Are. My. Hero. Way to go man.
Wings-In Progress
N568AK Reserved
SOLD?but I'll be back
Old 08-24-2016, 09:03 AM

Well if this isn't motivation to keep building, I don't know what is.
AUO
Old 08-24-2016, 09:05 AM

Default Welcome to Alberta

Welcome Vlad to Alberta! I see you have discovered the Ram Falls airstrip, this is a hidden little gem with great hiking, camping and fishing. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:39 PM

Default Journey of a Lifetime

Vlad, have photo of covered ceiling cap collection in Toad River, lunch there via Fall ground trip. There was a helicopter & a RV6 parked on the gravel strip across from the restaurant. Chopper took the cook into the bush hunting camp.Did you see the XL beaver dam on the S. side of the Lodge? also elk on the NW hillside.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Aviator View Post
Welcome Vlad to Alberta! I see you have discovered the Ram Falls airstrip, this is a hidden little gem with great hiking, camping and fishing. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!
Thanks Garrett what a beautiful country you are living in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick 4003 View Post
Vlad, have photo of covered ceiling cap collection in Toad River, lunch there via Fall ground trip. There was a helicopter & a RV6 parked on the gravel strip across from the restaurant. Chopper took the cook into the bush hunting camp.Did you see the XL beaver dam on the S. side of the Lodge? also elk on the NW hillside.
Scott RV6 is still there. I spoke to the owner in the morning he has a lodge nearby. He completed his plane in late nineties and flies regularly. Has some nice mods there. He shared some intel on local spots including the beaver dam.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:25 PM

Default I cant believe I missed VLad the RV 7 man!

I live and work in Edson and yes it has been very wet here lately. Some few weeks ago it was so hot we lost most of Fort McMurray to a large forest fire which is why those Electras were still here. One is usually stationed here always but not two.

These are excellent pics, excellent journeys and make me so motivated to keep banging those rivets, Thanks Vlad.

Great journey
Wings complete

Dynon installed and running
Fuse closer to completion, Canopy complete
AME reviewed and repaired O-320-Lyc installed
Old 08-24-2016, 07:58 PM

Talking Day 5. Fairbanks The Coldest City of America

We woke up early. Nice view from the hotel window. Dawson City still sleeps.

Breakfast, shuttle, fuel, file and we are ready to go. A Yukon airliner was going our way.

Every time a heavier aircraft takes off or land a grader follows. It's a gravel runway and the scraper levels off all ruts and uneven spots.

We take off on 1 minute interval and follow Yukon River to the northwest. As soon as Chip loses visual contact we occupy different echelons and head to Eagles PAEG hoping for Anchorage Center radar contact. Of course I am getting a wicked squawk code.

They picked us up and I figured I am 3 minutes behind Chip he got quite a rocket ship. The Yukon MOAs will be hot in 30 minutes. Chip goes up to 12.5 I sit at 8,500' and watch the show. Range Control tells Chip where his traffic is. Very strange traffic of three F16s they flew behind him then climbed into space. It was quick but impressive I didn't have a camera powerful enough to capture this. Finally Mertie Mountains are behind and we are in a cold stormy valley.

ATC vectors each of us around active R-2205. Several Predators were parked at Ladds field first time I've seen them this close. Dodging showers I land in sequence.

We find each other on the field and ask ground control to reposition for customs. Our company the Yukon airliner was already there.

We clear within 20 minutes the Customs is very efficient there. Keep in mind they have to clear a lot of airline passengers.

We park on the General Aviation side. What amazed me at the fuel pump is their grounding system never seen it anywhere else. Until the aircraft is properly grounded (not just clamped or connected) you won't be able to pump avgas. The buzzer goes off and the system shuts down. Very safe setup.

After fueling we were approached by three very polite gentlemen in FAA vehicle. They introduced themselves, asked several questions and permission to take a look at the airplanes. Then they handed out specific to Alaska printing material which was very timely and quite interesting. In the hotel Chip was reading me a safety pamphlet and off airport landing guide my English comprehension wasn't that good. We didn't watch TV that night but I had a drink.

We are very close to the Arctic Circle tomorrow we might cross it. Chip is still optimistic but looks very tired...

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.

Last edited by Vlad : 08-25-2016 at 03:26 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-25-2016, 06:57 AM

Trip of a lifetime is likely an understatement. Looking forward to the next 16 day installments.
> 1,000 hrs tach.