- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:29 PM

Default Flight Test

I flight tested my Accusump accumulator three times over the last couple of days. It works exceptionally well! Before Accusump, anytime I pushed a little zero to negative G, I immediately got a low oil pressure alert / indication. Now, I can SUSTAIN 1.5 negative for six to eight seconds before losing oil pressure. That's pretty amazing considering I don't have an inverted oil system!

Between the new Accusump and the new 1/2 Raven Air/Oil Separator, I'm very happy with the aerobatic capabilities of my carbureted 0-360 equipped airplane. I especially like the fact that my Hartzell CS prop stays supplied with oil pressure and I maintain control of that bad boy when the engine sags / quits during inverted flight.

My airplane comes back from aggressive aerobatic flying with a clean belly and I have a clean conscience knowing my engine didn't suffer!

The indicator light I installed is VERY helpful in monitoring the actions of the Accumulator and I'd highly recommend one for anybody that installs an accumulator with an electric pressure valve.

Canton Racing puts out a quality product and it is working VERY well for me!
RV-8 N184RK (flying)
Flying an A320 to pay the bills
Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through March 2025
Old 06-03-2016, 05:46 AM

Default Interesting. What about checking oil level?

Hey guys,
Interesting topic. I watched that video of Moroso and have a question. If we charge the system with oil at shutdown in order to lube the engine with oil before next start.

Wouldn't that mean that I now can't accurately check the amount of oil in the systems with the dip stick because there is over qt in the accumulator. Any thoughts? or am I misunderstanding this. Sorry if this is a silly question.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:18 AM

Default Checking Oil Level with Accumulator

During normal operations, I always shut down with the valve closed so that the accumulator is charged. Before start, I pre-oil the engine by throwing the switch to open the valve. The only time I shut down with the valve open is if I'm going to service the oil system.

I service and check my oil level with the accumulator charged. I service the oil to five quarts. With a maximum oil level of eight quarts, that leaves me with plenty of excessive sump capacity to handle the oil that is discharged from the accumulator. I've also found that is the level that minimizes oil loss due to inverted operations. Even with my excellent Raven Oil Separator, if I service the oil above six quarts, I'll lose some of it overboard during aggressive zero to negative g maneuvering. The only time I'll service it higher is if I'm going on an extended cross-country flight. In that case, I'll service it to six quarts to compensate for oil burn during the flight(s).

Your dipstick is still accurate. You just need to remember to service the oil with the system in a specific configuration. If you choose to service it with the valve open (accumulator discharged), just pick a higher number to accommodate the quantity of oil in your accumulator. With my two quart unit, I'd probably target seven quarts. Again though, I normally service to five quarts and service with the accumulator charged.
RV-8 N184RK (flying)
Old 06-03-2016, 06:20 AM

Default Good question - WWRD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
Hey guys,
Interesting topic. I watched that video of Moroso and have a question. If we charge the system with oil at shutdown in order to lube the engine with oil before next start.

Wouldn't that mean that I now can't accurately check the amount of oil in the systems with the dip stick because there is over qt in the accumulator. Any thoughts? or am I misunderstanding this. Sorry if this is a silly question.
Good point - I just ordered the parts for the accumulator - had not thought of this, but it would be right, the static level would read 1 qt higher than the running level due to the storage qt. On the other hand, if the pressure was dropping due to low oil level, the oil would be returned to the flow until the pressure was zero (if it was an inflight oil discharge) so the quart would still be "usable" in the extreme event, even if it was a creeping event.

Just when I thought I knew all the possibilities of this half-raven. Always something to learn.

WWRD? What would Ron Do?

Edit - I see Randy posted above. Good Advice, Thanks.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.

Last edited by BillL : 06-03-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:15 AM

Default Thanks for the explenation

Thanks!
I had never heard of this before but it seems like a great thing to have if during the winter weather prevents you from flying every week. Keeping everything lubed. Wouldn't it be perfect if this thing also had a build in heater so the oil pre lubing the engine would be nice and warm?
Old 07-25-2016, 09:40 PM

Default Structural Question

So lots of discussion about the performance and use of the accumulator but not much on mounting. My 7 only seems to have room on the left firewall just above the brake line pass throughs on the firewall. Mounting horizontally, the right side mount can tie into the vertical angle on the left side of the hot air box. The left side will not attach to anything stiff. The sketch below is my thinking for a stiffener to carry the weight and moment of the mount. The accumulator weighs 4.68# holding one qt of oil. The center is 2.25 in from the firewall. With 1/2 of the load on each mount, 6g?s and 20% overload, this comes to 38 in-lbs bending moment on the firewall. I am proposing a 3/4x3/4x.063 angle attached at the bottom of the firewall and to an angle stiffener at the top. Rather than make a line of rivets spaced ~2? apart along the length, I would plan to mount it on top of the lower angle (.125? thick), then allow it to be spaced 1/8 from the firewall up to the cross brace. A 1/8" spacer would be installed where the fasteners penetrate the firewall for the accumulator mount. Rivets would be used for the upper and lower points of the vertical stiffener.

The upper and lower attachments could use gussets for more rivets to share the loads.

I am very sure that the strength of this arrangement is sound for the load, but there are two possible issues. 1. The new stiffener might begin to share loads on the FW and fail at the ends. 2. The lack of direct attachment to the firewall, and sharing a line of rivets are not technically acceptable (?).

So, what do you think?

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
Old 07-26-2016, 03:09 PM

Randy,
What is the function of the indicator light?
RV-4 #2750
N654ML
IO-360
WW150C Prop
1018 lbs
Flying
Old 07-26-2016, 04:39 PM

Default Indicator light

The indicator light tells you when an open signal is being sent to the valve. I find it very helpful in evaluating the performance of the system.
RV-8 N184RK (flying)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:13 AM

Default Needing help please.

I am still needing input on how others mounted the accumulator. Post 3 above. Vans officially declined to comment, but did make some unofficially. The ends should be gusseted with additional rivets.

How did you do your firewall mount on a 7?

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
Old 07-27-2016, 01:05 PM

Bill,
I used .063 3/4x3/4 angle on the cockpit side of firewall where the accumulator mounts go. I made the about 8" long. Very sturdy. My accumulator is mounted vertically on the engine side of the firewall.
RV-4 #2750
N654ML
IO-360
WW150C Prop
1018 lbs
Flying