-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:09 PM

Were you able to get it apart? I did this while doing the SJ inlet ring groves, luckily I went out to the garage during mid cure and had a panic attack, almost did not come apart
Old 06-30-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Were you able to get it apart? I did this while doing the SJ inlet ring groves, luckily I went out to the garage during mid cure and had a panic attack, almost did not come apart
Yup, no biggie with a putty knife and die grinder.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:15 PM

Lots of family things to keep me busy the last couple of weeks, some airplane progress was still made and I'll take what I can get. My oldest 2 wanted to help in the hangar, we had a productive 2 hours for all of us! My oldest stripped....I mean removed several hundred screws for me. Dad gave a few pointers etc on using the screw gun and she went to town, screws and bits are cheap for this kind of experience.

My second oldest had fun sanding the excess filler off of my 7 hinge covers, cross hatching he curves. Amateurs teaching amateurs.

I put 5 coats of epoxy on the cowl. I used to roll every layer but I think it was pulling epoxy out of some pinholes, this time I used just a credit card to squeegee all 5 layers and just rolled the last three with a cheap foam roller to smooth the surface.

I sanded the cowling on the airplane, first with 100 (it's probably too aggressive and lead to opening up pinholes) than 180. I finished up with 220 with the cowling halves separated in the shop at home looking for shiny spots of epoxy under the fluorescent lights. I have a bad habit of trying to sand every shiny spot off and end up sanding back through the epoxy when the regular epoxy primer would easily fill the imperfections my hands/fingers can't feel. Thanks to a new RV neighbor who let me use his Awesome shop/paint booth I was able to prime the cowling yesterday. I'm happy with the basic shape and blending of the inlets on the cowling, but I opened up some pinholes in several spots. No biggie, after all it's more of a guide coat to see what needs more work.

Prop is back on, just waiting on a torque double check tomorrow and safety wire. Interior portion of the annual inspection is 2/3 complete and going well, I can't say when but I'm getting closer.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 AM
Moderator/Tech Counselor

I love it!!! A woman builder and hopefully a future pilot!!!! Go Girl!!!

Roberta
Ford Expedition and TRICE "Q"
Built Glen L "ZIP" Classic Outboard Runabout and Super Spartan Hydroplane
Glen L Torpedo
Old 07-13-2016, 08:01 AM

The only thing I can think of when looking at your daughter is "Oh, the flexibility of youth". How much easier it would have been to build that RV9A if I could have got into positions like that. So wonderful she is a part of the project. Good for her and you. Future pilot for sure.
Sold Oct 2014-Not one of my best decisions

2021 Dues Paid
Old 07-15-2016, 08:48 PM

Yes, a much more flexible builder and pilot!

I sealed the intake boots with RTV, my sticky test showed Ultra Black doesn't stick the best to the rubber but I think it'll hold and come apart relatively easily. If it doesn't seal, weatherstrip adhesive sticks really well to the rubber but I'm not sure about withstanding the heat. My aluminum clamping strips on the inside of the boots seemed to work well.

All sealed up (I hope) and ready to button up the last couple items on the annual and see how the round inlets/boot diffusers/plenum work together. I used some NAS1802-8/32 Phillips hex head screws on the plenum, I liked the option of drill driver or socket or a wrench for the hard to get to spots.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:57 AM

Everything seems to fit pretty well and is ready for an engine run, I just have to put the inside of the airplane back together after the annual. I can't wait to wheel this thing out and clean the hangar out from the past 6 months of work.

You can see the inlets are forward of the aft edge of the spinner, the Catto prop blades taper a lot and the inboard portion of the inlet has about 3/8" clearance. Even though the left inlet sticks out significantly more than the right side it doesn't stand out as far as I can tell. I'm still trying to view it from all angles to find anything that looks goofy.

Last edited by crabandy : 07-17-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:05 PM

I'm just wrapping up the annual and it's time for some engine runs and see how the new boots/cowling work together. It fired right up and ran like it should. The first run was just in the idle/fast idle range for about a minute. After shutdown I had some smoke exiting the inlets and behind the spinner and once I opened it the oil door. It didn't smell like a fuel/oil/electrical smoke but I still got the cowl off in a hurry. I found a light dusting of pink foam dust on the components of the lower cowl, I think that along with dust/mouse milk on exhaust joints/LPS overspray was causing the light smoke.
Pie helping me with the first engine start, as you can see she's feeling like her old self with plenty of spunk.

Good news is I was picking up 8 inches of water pressure in the upper plenum from the prop blast at 0knts and full power (966 AGL, Baro 29.94 and 94*F) , I'm still looking for my previous notes on the stock setup. Bad news is the right intake boot started de-laminating. While inspecting the boots after a full power run-up a little poking around caused the boot to separate from the front ring, The left side boot looks fine. If you recall I laid up the rubber boot first and then molded the front reinforcement ring onto the boot with some urethane adhesive, this is the joint that is coming apart. I did remove the right boot from the mold early (maybe 12 hours into 48 hour cure) so I could get the left boot in the mold, I'm wondering if the twisting/pulling it out of the mold before full cure attributed to it coming apart.

More prodding and picking revealed the epoxy flox reinforcement ring underneath.

I think I'm going to make a single piece layup on the right intake boot/reinforcement ring and see what happens.

Last edited by crabandy : 07-24-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:47 PM

Default Looking Good, Andy!

Delam is a small setback - big news is your Pie is back - so glad to see that!

You have spirited plane, and a spirited child. They can be the most fun!

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 2450+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN
Old 08-05-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehowell View Post
Delam is a small setback - big news is your Pie is back - so glad to see that!

You have spirited plane, and a spirited child. They can be the most fun!
Thanks Pete!