- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:09 PM

Default While waiting on the official fix

...I hope this will suffice. Bought a $5 box of bungees from Aviation Dept at Home Depot, selected one which when wrapped around itself on the seatback crossbrace hooked into canopy handle with moderate tension.
Tiewrapped it to crossbrace. Dern thing lays right up against passenger seat back when not in use and is kind of hard to miss, being bright orange.
Added "canopy bungee" to pre-start checklist.

This time when the fix-kit comes from Vans, un-doing my fix will only take about 30 seconds.

That video is scary.

Jim
RV-12 #264
flying 400+ hours
Old 07-06-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N223JH View Post
...I hope this will suffice. Bought a $5 box of bungees from Aviation Dept at Home Depot, selected one which when wrapped around itself on the seatback crossbrace hooked into canopy handle with moderate tension.
Tiewrapped it to crossbrace. Dern thing lays right up against passenger seat back when not in use and is kind of hard to miss, being bright orange.
Added "canopy bungee" to pre-start checklist.

This time when the fix-kit comes from Vans, un-doing my fix will only take about 30 seconds.

That video is scary.

Jim
RV-12 #264
flying 400+ hours
Good idea, and easy/economical. I had thought the same thing about using a bungee.

I have a personal rule to always close and lock the canopy at the run-up area and I'm going to use the bungee if I open the canopy a crack whilst taxiing on a hot day.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:26 PM

Sitting in the plane today, I came up with this idea to keep the canopy from opening. Have not actually made it yet. Bend an 1/8" x 1" aluminum bar and fasten one end of it to the forward side of the roll bar so that the other end extends 1" past center. When the canopy is in the ventilation position, the aluminum bar will be inside of the handle loop, preventing the canopy from opening further. There is no extra step for the pilot to forget. Vinyl caps are available to fit the bar.

Last edited by Mich48041 : 07-06-2016 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Added last sentence
Old 07-06-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
Sitting in the plane today, I came up with this idea to keep the canopy from opening. Have not actually made it yet. Bend an 1/8" x 1" aluminum bar and fasten one end of it to the forward side of the roll bar so that the other end extends 1" past center. When the canopy is in the ventilation position, the aluminum bar will be inside of the handle loop, preventing the canopy from opening further. There is no extra step for the pilot to forget.
Nice. If that works it could be the most elegant solution yet. Can't wait to get to the hangar and have a look to see how these ideas look "in person".

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 07-08-2016, 08:03 PM

This is solution 101 based upon Mich48041's concept. I found that his idea needed modified since the socket for the handle in the canopy front would hit his angle. Solution is to curve the bracket to miss the socket and provide a "catch pocket" for the handle. I just drilled out the top three rivets left of the rollbar seam and used 3, 4-6 pulled rivets for a first install. If satisfied I may replace with larger structural rivets or thread for bolts. I just modified a curtain rod support bracket for this. Seems to work well. Hopefully this pictures will explain it all.

Last edited by scottmillhouse : 07-08-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: correct photo links
Old 07-08-2016, 08:37 PM

Scott, your speed and creativity in fabricating this is amazing. Looks like a reasonable solution.
RV-12, N913BC
2021 VAF Donation, please make yours too!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 07-08-2016, 08:57 PM

FYI all,
Received this email from the mothership this afternoon...I don't see this or the updates mentioned on the support page yet. I'm sure it will follow soon.

TO ALL RV-12 BUILDERS AT FINISH KIT STAGE OR BEYOND

Van's Aircraft has revised the design of the RV-12 canopy installation for increased durability using all steel gas struts.
If desired, order "12 Canopy Gas Strut Kit" and install it on your airplane using the latest revision of RV-12 Section 34: Canopy Installation, available from the Van's Aircraft website.
This is not a mandatory change – old parts may continue to be used.

Van's Aircraft has updated the RV-12 Plans Pages with minor changes to the following sections:

SECTION 34 PAGES 01, 02, 03 and 15.

Download the latest version of these pages from the Van's Aircraft website and note the changes documented for each individual page if you choose to convert to the upgraded struts.

Be advised that Plans page updates have been posted to our website. Please visit www.vansaircraft.com, click on Support, then Service Information and Revisions or go directly to the revisions section using this link:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv12.htm

Van's Aircraft, Inc.
14401 Keil Rd NE
Aurora, Oregon 97002
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:00 PM

I should add that I plan to add a restraint based on one or more of the excellent designs discussed above. No reason to "test" the new struts unnecessarily!
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:23 PM

Just copied the kit name and pasted it on the mothership website order search with no bueno. Come on guys, get it together!

I plan on coming up with my own solution to back up the mothership change.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:32 AM

Ordered my kit yesterday and plan to add a backup bracket...
N199AD One Design...SOLD
N99AD BD4, flew for 22 years...SOLD
EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
CFII, MEI, CFIG