VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #41  
Old 07-06-2016, 09:22 PM
slngsht slngsht is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 286
Default

Progress on horizontal stabilizer. And a couple of questions - hopefully not redo problems...

current state of things as of now


Spacing on last holes on the braces came out pretty nice. Thanks for another thread discussing this topic.
=https://myrv7story.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/20160706_220545.jpg

Now on to the questions... In image below, you can see the far side of the rib is slightly misaligned with the edge of the skin. The rest of both ribs are perfectly flush with the skin, except this area. Will this be a problem?
https://myrv7story.files.wordpress.c...706_220559.jpg

On the holes connecting 0005 and 0006 ribs to the spar, they're supposed to be in a straight line - mine is not so much. Not quite sure how I got so far off on these. All holes appear to be a safe distance away from edges, so hoping this is ok as well. Thoughts?

https://myrv7story.files.wordpress.c...706_220700.jpg
note: gap at top of this pic is because I have not trimmed the edge of the spar yet, since I had no reference hole yet on where to trim.

Last edited by slngsht : 07-06-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-06-2016, 10:06 PM
David_Nelson's Avatar
David_Nelson David_Nelson is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 442
Default Feedback

Hi Mazda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by slngsht View Post
Now on to the questions... In image below, you can see the far side of the rib is slightly misaligned with the edge of the skin. The rest of both ribs are perfectly flush with the skin, except this area. Will this be a problem?
https://myrv7story.files.wordpress.c...706_220559.jpg
Edge distance looks to be Ok. I don't see any problem with that and I don't think it'll cause you problems down the road. I will note that keeping the blue plastic in place may slightly shift holes particularly when the mating parts have bends or curves in them; suggest removing the blue plastic either entirely or, using a soldering iron, remove strips where the pieces intersect. If you search "blue vinyl soldering iron" you should come up with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slngsht View Post
On the holes connecting 0005 and 0006 ribs to the spar, they're supposed to be in a straight line - mine is not so much. Not quite sure how I got so far off on these. All holes appear to be a safe distance away from edges, so hoping this is ok as well. Thoughts?

https://myrv7story.files.wordpress.c...706_220700.jpg
note: gap at top of this pic is because I have not trimmed the edge of the spar yet, since I had no reference hole yet on where to trim.
Hard to tell from the picture, but I'm going to error on the side of caution and suggest you closely study the two inner rivets to make sure they will not touch the bend when squeezed/installed. My concern here is a possible stress point possibly leading to a crack.

Regards,
/\/elson
__________________
/\/elson
RV-7A Tip-Up
NW Austin, TX
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-06-2016, 11:04 PM
slngsht slngsht is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Nelson View Post
Hard to tell from the picture, but I'm going to error on the side of caution and suggest you closely study the two inner rivets to make sure they will not touch the bend when squeezed/installed. My concern here is a possible stress point possibly leading to a crack.

Regards,
/\/elson
I see. I will actually lay a rivet in there and see if it will only clamp the flat part of the rib.

Thanks for the feedback
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-06-2016, 11:05 PM
slngsht slngsht is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Nelson View Post

I will note that keeping the blue plastic in place may slightly shift holes particularly when the mating parts have bends or curves in them
Will remove and refit.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-06-2016, 11:13 PM
slngsht slngsht is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 286
Default

here's the rivet inserted into the closest hole:


I have to read the instructions again - I don't think they specify which direction that rivet should be installed. Flipping it around will also help a little bit with this.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-07-2016, 12:12 AM
slngsht slngsht is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 286
Default

Wasn't quite ready to hang it up tonight, but too tired to keep going on the expensive parts.

Decided to do something with my portable bandsaw



The trigger switch has a zip tie on it now, and the power cord is plugged into a foot operated pedal switch.

These Milwaukee portable bandsaws are pretty good. Now that it's mounted it should be sufficient for most cuts.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 PM
slngsht slngsht is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 286
Default

Right side went so much smoother tonight.
The rib holes lined up much better on this side.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-09-2016, 10:35 PM
David_Nelson's Avatar
David_Nelson David_Nelson is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 442
Default

Hi Mazda,

I think I see the beginning of the bend that makes the flange in the pic and there looks to be a fraction of an inch between it and the rivet. You may just be Ok but it wouldn't hurt to send a pic off to Van's for a confirmation.

As for rivet direction, if at all possible (1), you want to form the shop head on the side that contains the thicker metal. I believe that AC-43.13 covers that material. That may not apply here because, IIRC, there's a rib on the other side. How does the flange/rivet look on the other side?

(1) - If the plans call it out, then follow the plans.

Regards,
/\/elson

Quote:
Originally Posted by slngsht View Post
here's the rivet inserted into the closest hole:


I have to read the instructions again - I don't think they specify which direction that rivet should be installed. Flipping it around will also help a little bit with this.
__________________
/\/elson
RV-7A Tip-Up
NW Austin, TX
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-09-2016, 11:16 PM
slngsht slngsht is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Nelson View Post
Hi Mazda,

How does the flange/rivet look on the other side?

Regards,
/\/elson
slightly more room... slightly! lol
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-11-2016, 09:44 AM
slngsht slngsht is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Nelson View Post
You may just be Ok but it wouldn't hurt to send a pic off to Van's for a confirmation.
Sent the pic to vans, and they cleared it.

"Since the manufactured rivet head is clear of the bend, it will lay flat against the flange. You will be okay."

Better safe than sorry .

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.