-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:22 PM

Progress on horizontal stabilizer. And a couple of questions - hopefully not redo problems...

current state of things as of now

Spacing on last holes on the braces came out pretty nice. Thanks for another thread discussing this topic.
=https://myrv7story.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/20160706_220545.jpg

Now on to the questions... In image below, you can see the far side of the rib is slightly misaligned with the edge of the skin. The rest of both ribs are perfectly flush with the skin, except this area. Will this be a problem?
https://myrv7story.files.wordpress.c...706_220559.jpg

On the holes connecting 0005 and 0006 ribs to the spar, they're supposed to be in a straight line - mine is not so much. Not quite sure how I got so far off on these. All holes appear to be a safe distance away from edges, so hoping this is ok as well. Thoughts?

https://myrv7story.files.wordpress.c...706_220700.jpg
note: gap at top of this pic is because I have not trimmed the edge of the spar yet, since I had no reference hole yet on where to trim.

Last edited by slngsht : 07-06-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:06 PM

Default Feedback

Hi Mazda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by slngsht View Post
Now on to the questions... In image below, you can see the far side of the rib is slightly misaligned with the edge of the skin. The rest of both ribs are perfectly flush with the skin, except this area. Will this be a problem?
https://myrv7story.files.wordpress.c...706_220559.jpg
Edge distance looks to be Ok. I don't see any problem with that and I don't think it'll cause you problems down the road. I will note that keeping the blue plastic in place may slightly shift holes particularly when the mating parts have bends or curves in them; suggest removing the blue plastic either entirely or, using a soldering iron, remove strips where the pieces intersect. If you search "blue vinyl soldering iron" you should come up with something.

Quote:
On the holes connecting 0005 and 0006 ribs to the spar, they're supposed to be in a straight line - mine is not so much. Not quite sure how I got so far off on these. All holes appear to be a safe distance away from edges, so hoping this is ok as well. Thoughts?

https://myrv7story.files.wordpress.c...706_220700.jpg
note: gap at top of this pic is because I have not trimmed the edge of the spar yet, since I had no reference hole yet on where to trim.
Hard to tell from the picture, but I'm going to error on the side of caution and suggest you closely study the two inner rivets to make sure they will not touch the bend when squeezed/installed. My concern here is a possible stress point possibly leading to a crack.

Regards,
/\/elson
Old 07-06-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Nelson View Post
Hard to tell from the picture, but I'm going to error on the side of caution and suggest you closely study the two inner rivets to make sure they will not touch the bend when squeezed/installed. My concern here is a possible stress point possibly leading to a crack.

Regards,
/\/elson
I see. I will actually lay a rivet in there and see if it will only clamp the flat part of the rib.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 07-06-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:

I will note that keeping the blue plastic in place may slightly shift holes particularly when the mating parts have bends or curves in them
Will remove and refit.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:13 PM

here's the rivet inserted into the closest hole:

I have to read the instructions again - I don't think they specify which direction that rivet should be installed. Flipping it around will also help a little bit with this.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:12 AM

Wasn't quite ready to hang it up tonight, but too tired to keep going on the expensive parts.

Decided to do something with my portable bandsaw

The trigger switch has a zip tie on it now, and the power cord is plugged into a foot operated pedal switch.

These Milwaukee portable bandsaws are pretty good. Now that it's mounted it should be sufficient for most cuts.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 PM

Right side went so much smoother tonight.
The rib holes lined up much better on this side.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:35 PM

Hi Mazda,

I think I see the beginning of the bend that makes the flange in the pic and there looks to be a fraction of an inch between it and the rivet. You may just be Ok but it wouldn't hurt to send a pic off to Van's for a confirmation.

As for rivet direction, if at all possible (1), you want to form the shop head on the side that contains the thicker metal. I believe that AC-43.13 covers that material. That may not apply here because, IIRC, there's a rib on the other side. How does the flange/rivet look on the other side?

(1) - If the plans call it out, then follow the plans.

Regards,
/\/elson

Quote:
here's the rivet inserted into the closest hole:

I have to read the instructions again - I don't think they specify which direction that rivet should be installed. Flipping it around will also help a little bit with this.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Hi Mazda,

How does the flange/rivet look on the other side?

Regards,
/\/elson
slightly more room... slightly! lol
Old 07-11-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
You may just be Ok but it wouldn't hurt to send a pic off to Van's for a confirmation.
Sent the pic to vans, and they cleared it.

"Since the manufactured rivet head is clear of the bend, it will lay flat against the flange. You will be okay."

Better safe than sorry .

Thanks.